Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah yeah whatever, great to hear and all but is the bike ok? No marks?

:D

Good point.. Brake shifter has a few scrapes, but very superficial. The chain came off so there are a few scrapes on the chainset now. Bummer!

Glad yur ok hun x

Joking aside, that'll teach you to try and remove your high-viz gear!

It's a gilet. It does have a "Reflective stripe across the pockets, but its certainly not an RSA tyre Hi-viz yoke! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Good point.. Brake shifter has a few scrapes, but very superficial. The chain came off so there are a few scrapes on the chainset now. Bummer!

No such thing, it's either mint or ruined. There is no in between!

Joking aside, glad you're ok. These silly falls can do a lot of damage

So it's safer to take it off on the move! :D

I tried that before. I didn't fall but it wasn't pretty!

No such thing, it's either mint or ruined. There is no in between!

Joking aside, glad you're ok. These silly falls can do a lot of damage

New bike it is so!

Actually i should have added... a van driver who witnessed my falling did stop to see if i was ok. A nice man and nice to know if i had been more seriously injured that someone cared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

After 70km I got a pinch flat - my third flat in a week (all of them, I would argue, would have been avoided if I had not been using the cycle path).

You're not pumping your tyres hard enough or did you hit potholes/curbs etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Went to Wicklow today. Cruagh Road - Glencullen-Enniskerry-Roundwood (via Scenic Route). Stopped for coffee and scone. Up the the Sally Gap and decided to day was the day I'd try Kippure.

Other than the surface I was getting a bit cocky until I got over the bridge. Surface improved, but it got harder, and then the last 250-500 metres started to really bite. Walked the last 50 or so. Descended it very slowly as there's gravel everywhere and you pick up so much speed. Survived it, got to the bottom to greet another cyclist who was about to head up.

Onwards to featherbeds where I started to cramp. Stopped to stretch. Viewing point, down via stocking lane and ran the School run gauntlet home. 102 km with 1896 meters of climbing.

Have sunburn on my ears, I was going to stop in Enniskerry to get suncream just in case as it was trying to get out, but I didn't. Froze from Kippure home. Strange day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2338646708

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Weepsie wrote: »
    Went to Wicklow today. Cruagh Road - Glencullen-Enniskerry-Roundwood (via Scenic Route). Stopped for coffee and scone. Up the the Sally Gap and decided to day was the day I'd try Kippure.

Other than the surface I was getting a bit cocky until I got over the bridge. Surface improved, but it got harder, and then the last 250-500 metres started to really bite. Walked the last 50 or so. Descended it very slowly as there's gravel everywhere and you pick up so much speed. Survived it, got to the bottom to greet another cyclist who was about to head up.

Onwards to featherbeds where I started to cramp. Stopped to stretch. Viewing point, down via stocking lane and ran the School run gauntlet home. 102 km with 1896 meters of climbing.

Have sunburn on my ears, I was going to stop in Enniskerry to get suncream just in case as it was trying to get out, but I didn't. Froze from Kippure home. Strange day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2338646708

the top section is a real sucker blow when you're already struggling!

got out for 55km from Raheny to Malahide & Howth, with an extra bit of a loop added on at the end. wasn't feeling the love and abandoned thoughts of a longer spin as a result so was a bit slower than usual but still great to get out.

Garmin reading 18 degrees at top of Howth, then 14 by the time I got the the village and 11 by the next time up the summit :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    ... and decided to day was the day I'd try Kippure.....

......Descended it very slowly as there's gravel everywhere and you pick up so much speed.....
    The gravel doesn't seem to bother Tutschel!

(Doesn't look near as steep in the film as it actually is).

Yeah,i was not remotely like him. He went down that faster than I did stocking lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Very enjoyable 57 km - inspired by secman, but took a couple of wrong turns.
    Drimnagh to brittas via the n81, up to kippure village and a sharp left up and over to Ballinagee and Ballinascorney, Rathfarnham, Harold's Cross, Kilmainham and home.
    Average of 23.1kph, not bad going for a fat auld fella.

https://strava.app.link/aNCJylfCoW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Seadin

Did 85km today. Lots of climbing. Loved the bike and the day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Just did the 100km loop out west - fabulous day but breezier than I thought it would be...averaged 28.3kmph...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2340881570

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Out to Howth and then up and down the head until we hit 1000metres. Stunning out there today and certain I did every possible ramp out there.

Turning a hill into a mountain ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

95km Kinsale CourtMac Clon and back today. Beautiful weather and views though there was a fairly stiff headwind at times. Good few cyclists out.

First spin of the year apart from bike to work. Roll on the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

An early start 7 am, was only 2°, full winter kit on, out to blessington, poulaphuca, left around top lake and on to valleymount, lake drive, manor Kilbride and home. 70km, avg 26 kph, feet were as cold as I can remember for a long time. Got caught in a hail stone shower too,
    Stiff enough northerly too. May !
    One of those non enjoyable spins, then it turned out a nice enogh afternoon in sunny southeast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in sitges south of Barcalona for a few days staying with my cousin and her husband, he's a keen cyclist and asked me out to sample the roads round the area.

They've had a very dry spring here but as luck would have it our first day, friday, was as wet as they come so we didn't push it too much, just 75km, it was pretty miserable by the end though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2338489254

Payback came yesterday though, 137km through vinyards, forests, by lakes with castles overlooking them, all on super quality roads in glorious sunshine, the only slight fly in the ointment was a persistent breeze that seemed to back around as the day went on so it seemed to often be in our face, a fantastic day out though

https://www.strava.com/activities/2341556983

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

7.5km into a spin this morning heading up to Howth summit and went to change to my big pin the front only to hear the clumping of chain against derailuer. Looked down to see the cable flapping about loose. Derailuer had slipped down the frame and of course I didn't bother to bring a multi tool. Nice free wheel back down by graveyard but painfully slow spinning on the flat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i went up howth this morning, from the village, and about halfway up passed i think four cyclists stopped dealing with a mechanical relating to what i thought was the chainwheel - was that you? from what you say, i suspect not, if you went back down by the graveyard?

anyway, on said ascent of howth i knocked 25s off my PB so i was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

62km this morning around NCD. In work at 3 otherwise I would've stayed out a bit longer as it was one of those more enjoyable days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Trying to get in some sort of shape for some bicycle touring so I took my touring bike out for a 60 km cycle today.

I'm even less fit, and even fatter, than I thought. Glacial average speed of 18km/h, seemed quite hilly, Garmin tells me I did a total ascent of 700m.

Be honest, how terrible is this? 😂

I did enjoy most of it so it wasn't all bad.

Trying to get in some sort of shape for some bicycle touring so I took my touring bike out for a 60 km cycle today.

I'm even less fit, and even fatter, than I thought. Glacial average speed of 18km/h, seemed quite hilly, Garmin tells me I did a total ascent of 700m.

Be honest, how terrible is this? 😂

It's not terrible if you're enjoying it.

I've definitely slowed down from last year, but I've got far better endurance I think and am getting better at the going uphill and that sort of general suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just shy of 50k this morning. Was only going for 25, but the sunshine made me fo further. Cool enough when the clouds covered the sun, but lovely calm morning for it. 48.76km, 1.56 and avg 25.1. Nice to keep above the 25kph avg....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

i went up howth this morning, from the village, and about halfway up passed i think four cyclists stopped dealing with a mechanical relating to what i thought was the chainwheel - was that you? from what you say, i suspect not, if you went back down by the graveyard?

anyway, on said ascent of howth i knocked 25s off my PB so i was happy with that.

Wasn't me on I was on the far side just past Ceanchor Road heading up. I tried to do a repair hidden out of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

That was me and two friends doing hill reps on Howth when we came across a fella with a broken chain. Spent ten minutes faffing around with my spare link before I copped on that it was a seven speed bike 🀦*♂️

Anyway, managed to bodge the chain back together, hopefully he made it all the way home OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Waterford Greenway from Dungarvan to Waterford, and then on to our accommodation - 51km broken with lunch in Kilmacthomas.

Lots of walkers and lots of families on bikes meant it wasn’t a fast spin by any means, but still a nice leisure spin.
    2 tough hills in the city afterwards made up for the 47km of gentle ups and downs on the greenway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out on to coast road and on to Ballygarrett, Courtown, Ballymoney, around Tara Hill to Castletown, out to Inch, on to Gorey, back on coast road, Courtown, Killenagh and home.
    58 km avg 25.5 kph. Mostly in zone 2 nice and handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A3 race in Wexford today, glorious day and good legs but abandoned due to a fairly serious crash.

Hopre the lad invovled recovers as it seems he was hurt badly after a collison with a stationary motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Didn't really fancy it today but with the forecast giving rain during the week I thought it would be better to get some more KMs in the legs while I have the chance to do it dry. I would really like to stop wearing my winter jacket on rides but I'm too cheap to shell out for leg/arm warmers.

Mega-highlights from today's ride included a top-sprint speed of 50kph and a max power output of 1,006 watts. Feel the power, baby! :rolleyes:

I've averaged 7-8 hours on the bike for the past 3 weeks. I need to get on a real training plan and make the most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Be honest, how terrible is this? ��

my rough threshold between 'reasonably flat' and 'a reasonable amount of climbing' is 10m climbing per km (i usually cycle around north county dublin), so that would be a decently hilly spin.
    the main thing i learned while getting fit again was not to dig too deep too early. if you're starting to feel the burn on climbs, go to an easier gear (if possible). burn means you're withdrawing funds from the bank that won't quickly return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement