Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

77km club spin yesterday, flat route. Rolled along for 29km avg without anyone pushing. First spin since Mallorca cycling trip

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

shaka wrote: »
    77km club spin yesterday, flat route. Rolled along for 29km avg without anyone pushing. First spin since Mallorca cycling trip

Quick question(s), how much would your average speed improve when cycling in a group? Is it the combination of drafting/pace setting?

What would your solo speed on the same route be out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CormacH94 wrote: »
    Quick question(s), how much would your average speed improve when cycling in a group? Is it the combination of drafting/pace setting?

What would your solo speed on the same route be out of curiosity
    Your speed may not necessarily improve in a group as the group may be riding at a slower speed that your normal speed but it takes less effort to maintain the same speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Drafting tractors is where the real speed gain is at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

sometimes you enjoy the cycles more in retrospect than you do at the time...

Type 2 fun.

Like xc racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out for a 35 KM spin today, back into the bibtights and long sleeve jersey, quite cool out there, and still a breeze out there.
    Drimnagh, Tallaght, Bohernabreena, Ballinascorney, Brittas, Saggart, Citywest, and back Via N7.
    Only 24KPH average, according to computer, but Strava drew a straight line from Saggart home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2327973297

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CormacH94 wrote: »
    your effort to maintain the same pace can drop very considerably in a group.
    interestingly, i learned that cycling two abreast requires more effort than cycling on your lonesome, via this podcast:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06f8xmb

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

interestingly, i learned that cycling two abreast requires more effort than cycling on your lonesome
    I knew there was a reason why I always tuck in behind:D

60km/1000m elevation; Ballinascorey - Sally Gap; 23kmph avg, was lovely heading out, as the elevation went up the wind and rain picked up.

Lashing heading up the gap, some chap in a jeep leaned out and started pumping his fist at me, don't know if he meant it as encouragement or as if to say what are you doing out here in this weather ya mad bastard, either way felt like a bit of support and made me pick up the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Cycled my single speed the long way home from work tonight, 27km over the Galway back hills. With 270m of climbing I bonked near the end. A good idea is to throw a few gels into the back pockets for next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Managed 27km on my single speed home from work this evening , adding a few hills and 280m of climbing. I bonked towards the end so will be adding gels to my pannier bag for future excursions.

Worn Out wrote: »
    Managed 27km on my single speed home from work this evening , adding a few hills and 280m of climbing. I bonked towards the end so will be adding gels to my pannier bag for future excursions.

Apt user name :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

added an extra 10m at the end too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Left work this evening and cycled to mentor an under 13 hurling game in tallaght. Back on the bike after the game, much to the amusement of the parents, and cycled 20k home. All in all 50km in the legs today. Not bad for a Tuesday.

tallaght back to D15? which way did you head?
    that's assuming i'm not misremembering where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

tallaght back to D15? which way did you head?
    that's assuming i'm not misremembering where you live.

https://goo.gl/maps/JhJ8gLDYnMmrEVBK6

12km home to work

13km work to tallaght

21km door to door after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First spin into work of the year, good to see lots of other cyclists out.

Greystones-Bray road still very unpleasant to cycle during rush hour, rest of the route into town is OK though (except for Macken St which is a sh!tshow).

Not remotely quick but still beats sitting on the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

loyatemu wrote: »

Greystones-Bray road still very unpleasant to cycle during rush hour, rest of the route into town is OK though (except for Macken St which is a sh!tshow).

Do you cycle from Greystones to town? I was considering moving to Greystones, is that doable week in week out?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Do you cycle from Greystones to town? I was considering moving to Greystones, is that doable week in week out?

I have also being considering this!!!

Edit: It's about 26km each way roughly for me. No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I do it a couple of times a week during the summer months (30K each way); it's probably doable year round it you're sufficiently hardcore which I'm not :)

The worst bit is the road to Bray, not just because of the hill, but it's narrow and busy with no space for cyclists so you get a lot of close passes. I wouldn't do it during the winter in the dark, but I do see well lit cyclists doing it then (not many though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I have also being considering this!!!

Edit: It's about 26km each way roughly for me. No thanks!

e-bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

e-bike?

Excellent advice. I'll need the gaff in Greystones first though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

loyatemu wrote: »

I sometimes go to the gym on Macken st on the way home from work, from GCD down its awful , a certain satisfaction zooming down on a bike, though once you cross Pease St there isn't much space for bikes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I have the day off work so I decided to head out for a 100km spin. It was a late decision so I hadn't eaten much and only brought a couple of cereal bars. This left me low on energy. After 70km I got a pinch flat - my third flat in a week (all of them, I would argue, would have been avoided if I had not been using the cycle path).

I'm so well practiced now I had the inner tube changed in no time. However, I just could not get the damn thing inflated using my mini pump. After an hour of trying, I sheepishly ventured across the road to a small garage and asked them if they could inflate it for me but their pumps weren't compatible with my valve. He asked if I had a valve adapter but told him I only had a minipump. He took it and inflated my tyre enough to get me home. I offered him the tenner I had on me as payment, mostly out of embarrassment, but he refused and wished me good luck.

Thankfully I made it home without another pinch flat. 3 hours riding time, 5 hours outdoors and after all that I only managed 99 ****ing kilometers. Average speed just over 31kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2333901875

71km Sally Gap via Cruagh Road, home through Enniskerry/Dundrum
    24kmph
    3 hours

Much nicer weather than yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Life has got in the way of my cycling lately but was back on the bike this morning for work. Arrived to find that my key wouldn't fully turn in my lock (left locked in place at work). Off to local shop to buy a new one.
    Apart from that, was a nice morning for the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Came off my bike this morning.

I was too warm so I decided to pull into a driveway to take my Gillet off. As I “glided” over to the left, my front wheel slipped on that black Tar they use to fill the gap between sections of tarmac ( the driveway was about an inch higher that the road, so there was a slight slope from the road surface up to the driveway)

Came down on my left side. No injuries, other than a small tear in my jersey sleeve and a small cut on my left knee.

Just as well I was wearing a helmet or “ I could have DIED! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ....so I decided to pull into a driveway to take my Gillet off....
    So it's safer to take it off on the move! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was too warm so I decided to pull into a driveway to take my Gillet off. As I “glided” over to the left, my front wheel slipped on that black Tar they use to fill the gap between sections of tarmac ( the driveway was about an inch higher that the road, so there was a slight slope from the road surface up to the driveway)

Came down on my left side. No injuries, other than a small tear in my jersey sleeve and a small cut on my left knee.

Yeah yeah whatever, great to hear and all but is the bike ok? No marks?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Glad yur ok hun x

Joking aside, that'll teach you to try and remove your high-viz gear!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement