Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Trinity College properly "up there"

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Ah sure, no wonder you've been reading so much Chaucer! If I had a girlfriend I probably couldn't be bothered to read the Hungry Caterpillar, let alone Beowulf:D
    /heads out to burn his copy of LOTR :(
    There's a great Joey line at the end.
    Ross: Didn't you read LOTR in high school?
    Joey: No, I had sex in high school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Indeed, and an extern at Galway for some years, if memory serves.
    TSMGUY wrote: »

Ross: Didn't you read LOTR in high school?
    Joey: No, I had sex in high school.
    I seem to recall managing some of both, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hwæt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum
    þéodcyninga þrym gefrúnon·
    hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon.

Oft Scyld Scéfing sceaþena þréatum
    monegum maégþum meodosetla oftéah·
    egsode Eorle syððan aérest wearð
    féasceaft funden hé þæs frófre gebád·
    wéox under wolcnum· weorðmyndum þáh
    oð þæt him aéghwylc þára ymbsittendra
    ofer hronráde hýran scolde,
    gomban gyldan· þæt wæs gód cyning.

A very brief extract!

Something to look forward to reading in bed, TSM! ;)

Looks remarkably like Icelandic. I'm not reading anything by Joyce at the moment. I'm reading the Icelandic sagas.

Given some of their Celtic heritage, it was funny to see that one of the sagas is about a buck called Cormac :D Not surprising when you see the title of Chapter 4.

IMG_6346.jpg

Granted I'm reading them in English and not Icelandic, and the English for the most part is quite simple, but given that Icelandic hasn't changed since they were written 800 years ago or so, modern Icelanders can read them in their original form, which can't be said of English.

I'd hazard a guess that modern Icelanders would have a better stab at the Old English above than we would

• Advertisement

Well, if I can't be the smartest guy in the thread I'll settle on being witty.
    How do you find the time being a hedge fund manager? You seem to be a real-life Renaissance man. Are there any subjects in which you're deficient? It'll soothe my wounded ego.
    Indeed, and an extern at Galway for some years, if memory serves.

I seem to recall managing some of both, thankfully.
    I seem to recall doing neither (all boys school sadly:()

Ah, but you went to UL, not Galway, RBT!

There was a whole LOTR cult there, I think Trinity was as bad.

Arts degrees were a rarity back in the late 90s in UL. It was all Science and Engineering heads about the place. :D Including myself!

Looks remarkably like Icelandic.

Granted I'm reading them in English and not Icelandic, and the English for the most part is quite simple, but given that Icelandic hasn't changed since they were written 800 years ago or so, modern Icelanders can read them in their original form, which can't be said of English.

I'd hazard a guess that modern Icelanders would have a better stab at the Old English above than we would
    Spot on, Old Icelandic and Old English would be quite close in their roots.
    Arts degrees were a rarity back in the late 90s in UL. It was all Science and Engineering heads about the place. :D Including myself!
    But they DID teach you about burdizzos, so a well-rounded education, I guess! :cool:
    I seem to recall doing neither (all boys school sadly:()
    Thankfully, as ancient as I apparently am :p I did not have to suffer one of those anachronistic institutions.

But they DID teach you about burdizzos, so a well-rounded education, I guess! :cool:

googled bordizzos, regretted it instantly. Jesus Christ!!!

• Advertisement

It always works! :D

Thankfully, as ancient as I apparently am :p I did not have to suffer one of those anachronistic institutions.

I suspect that on a day to day basis in Ireland, burdizzos are used more than Chaucer is quoted :D

Yes, my degree was somewhat lacking in Chaucer.

Live action stream of Permabear's apartment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo2u-q48iSg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Whilst I agree Trinity is overrated in this country, it isn't as bad as this clown college

Whilst I agree Trinity is overrated in this country, it isn't as bad as this clown college

LOOOOOOL! That was unexpected (or was it)! Not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of NUIM, seems very lax and badly organized. They even charge to take a tour of the college! They can feck off with that.

LOOOOOOL! That was unexpected (or was it)! Not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of NUIM, seems very lax and badly organized.
    In fairness, it has a good rep for student experience in particular, and being a lot easier to deal with admin than certain other big colleges I won't name.
    They even charge to take a tour of the college! They can feck off with that.
    Wait, what?

Are you sure you're not looking at the historical tours of the old college (which are geared at tourists, not prospective students)? :p

In fairness, it has a good rep for student experience in particular, and being a lot easier to deal with admin than certain other big colleges I won't name.

Wait, what?

Are you sure you're not looking at the historical tours of the old college (which are geared at tourists, not prospective students)? :p

I did 2 years in NUIM recently (not this academic year just gone, but the previous two) and I thought it was fantastic. Granted I was in Science not Arts, but still, I found everything really organised from student services, to availability of lecture notes, to exams, to being able to meet lecturers.

I've been through four different universities at this stage doing different courses and I really couldn't fault Maynooth.

Wait, what?

I'm pretty sure though, as Perambear as no doubt exposed, I'm not one for rigour or absolute precision. I could very well be mistaken.
    I did 2 years in NUIM recently (not this academic year just gone, but the previous two) and I thought it was fantastic. Granted I was in Science not Arts, but still, I found everything really organised from student services, to availability of lecture notes, to exams, to being able to meet lecturers.

I've been through four different universities at this stage doing different courses and I really couldn't fault Maynooth.

I know quite a few people who went to Maynooth and they all have nothing but praise for the nightlife, but only the nightlife. Then again, the one person I know who did Science there said she liked it. All of the Arts majors said it was ****e, but in fairness, all of the arts majors I know are whiny anyway.

I'm pretty sure though, as Perambear as no doubt exposed, I'm not one for rigour or absolute precision. I could very well be mistaken.
    Well, I know a lot of students who have gone to Open Days etc. there, even this year, and been taken on a tour of the campus, certainly none of them mentioned being charged.

It would be totally counter-productive from an Admissions standpoint too, and I know the Admissions Officer in Maynooth, he's nobody's fool!

• Advertisement

Well, I know a lot of students who have gone to Open Days etc. there, even this year, and been taken on a tour of the campus, certainly none of them mentioned being charged.

It would be totally counter-productive from an Admissions standpoint too, and I know the Admissions Officer in Maynooth, he's nobody's fool!
    any chance you're friendly with the admissions officer at Cambridge?;)

Lol, no, sorry, and it wouldn't wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if I was tbh.

Lol, no, sorry, and it wouldn't wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if I was tbh.

I had a feeling! Cambridge Dons don't associate with us boards scum. They don't even use forums, they use carrier pigeons and trained pheasants to deliver pieces of parchment with witty type-written messages attached....

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

It completely depends on the course.
    People in an industry will get experience with the quality of candidates that come from each course relating to that field.

Lets say for example its a software engineer job.
    A big company like Google won't go off a whole university, that would be ridiculous.
    Those processing CVs and performing interviews would know where previous hires came from, know how well they performed in interviews, and where each of their colleagues went to school.

If they start to find say Trinity Computer Science graduates have less of the skills they need than DCU's Computer Applications graduates, they may develop a preference, and pay more attention to those CVs.

The value of big Universities is just that they are more likely to know anything about the course, If you go to something like IT Sligo, they might have no good impressions to go on.

But always remember your degree will never be worth as much as you think. Experience and examples of the quality of your work and skill will be the most important thing. For so many jobs the degee ends up being completely irrelevant. All that matters is you have one, in anything.

Advertisement