Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Investigation into Tesla after fatal crash

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

seamus wrote: »
    Slow drivers? Are you having a laugh? :)
    The western US and California in particular is a mad place to drive. Anywhere I've driven in Europe is a dream in comparison. Even Italy, who are fncking terrible drivers.

No. Americans are slow drivers. Awful drivers too. I'm not saying they're any good. Drivin in the states is like driving in New delhi but in Slow Motion. They dont use mirrors, they dont use turn signals, they're barely aware of the basics

(I grew up in Ireland. Lived in London many years and i've been in the USA for almost twenty years. West Coast. I've passed an irish drivers test, an english drivers test and US tests from two different states.)

Americans are Slow. Slow and unconscious. You can get a drivers license in any state in the USA in about an hour without an appointment. The average driving test takes about 10 minutes and would be a drive around the block. If you dont crash you pass.

They only raised the speed limits on freeways to 70 from 55 a few years ago. Driving off the freeways is even worse. They treat their vehicles like 1950's cars, slooooowly cruising along.

Save

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll bow to your local experience. Mine is driving at 75mph along 8 lane freeways a with a car 2m behind me and another 3m in front of me. If I left any more of a gap, someone was straight in there. Terrifying.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Try driving here in Christchurch NZ. Most drivers don't know how to use roundabouts or indicators and sit in the fast lane on a motorway at 80kmph.

The american way of using motorways is to select a lane and stay there whatever. Staying right except to overtake is not the way they do it and never have. An american freeway is widely separated vehicles slowly cruising in all lanes at around the same speed.

The only way to make progress through them is to weave in an out.

seamus wrote: »
    I'll bow to your local experience. Mine is driving at 75mph along 8 lane freeways a with a car 2m behind me and another 3m in front of me. If I left any more of a gap, someone was straight in there. Terrifying.

I'll give you that in some of the larger cities. Los Angeles in particular. The speed does rise because the impatience level goes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

USA roads are absolutely terrifying. My only experience of their roads was a 4 hour bus journey each way to somewhere with like you describe, a million lanes all with people equally dispersed pottering along basically holding hands beside eachother, just a couple of metres in front or behind. No wonder when they do car pileups they go into hundreds of cars being involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

eeguy wrote: »
    ...You'll be sitting at home on a Saturday night while your car is out doing pub runs and making money.

..and spend Sunday cleaning out vomit, spilled beer, cigarette butts, writing on the glasses/panels/everywhere and, quite possibly, used condoms. Whoa, can't wait for this future to come by :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    ..and spend Sunday cleaning out vomit, spilled beer, cigarette butts, writing on the glasses/panels/everywhere and, quite possibly, used condoms. Whoa, can't wait for this future to come by :D:D:D

Well your soilage charge would cover that. Same way taxi drivers work.
    You'd have everyone's payment details from the app and a camera inside for evidence.

Probably make a few bob putting the sex video online too.

USA roads are absolutely terrifying. My only experience of their roads was a 4 hour bus journey each way to somewhere with like you describe, a million lanes all with people equally dispersed pottering along basically holding hands beside eachother, just a couple of metres in front or behind. No wonder when they do car pileups they go into hundreds of cars being involved.

You can see how in that environment starting the tesla autonomous driving mode and kicking back to watch Harry Potter is a more realistic proposition than trying the same thing on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I wouldnt buy a Tesla simply because of the amount of data they're gathering on you and sending back home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    No. Americans are slow drivers. Awful drivers too. I'm not saying they're any good. Drivin in the states is like driving in New delhi but in Slow Motion. They dont use mirrors, they dont use turn signals, they're barely aware of the basics

(I grew up in Ireland. Lived in London many years and i've been in the USA for almost twenty years. West Coast. I've passed an irish drivers test, an english drivers test and US tests from two different states.)

Americans are Slow. Slow and unconscious. You can get a drivers license in any state in the USA in about an hour without an appointment. The average driving test takes about 10 minutes and would be a drive around the block. If you dont crash you pass.

They only raised the speed limits on freeways to 70 from 55 a few years ago. Driving off the freeways is even worse. They treat their vehicles like 1950's cars, slooooowly cruising along.

Save

I don't know. I live in Nevada and it's rare to see someone driving at the speed limit, everyone speeds. True about the turn signals though, if they do use them it's only when they actually start turning.

And no chance you'd get a license in an hour here with no appointment. Slots are all booked up a couple of months in advance.

I wouldnt buy a Tesla simply because of the amount of data they're gathering on you and sending back home

No different that what Google, Apple, Tesco and everyone else do on a daily basis.
    If you don't want to be tracked, then you may give up all technology, since every "smart" device is designed from the off to monitor its surroundings and use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

eeguy wrote: »
    No different that what Google, Apple, Tesco and everyone else do on a daily basis.
    If you don't want to be tracked, then you may give up all technology, since every "smart" device is designed from the off to monitor its surroundings and use.
    3 companies I dont use.

I dont buy the whole give up all technology idea. Since 2005 there has been a big push to get people to sign up to things that involve sending loads of data through some centralised servers but tis far from unavoidable

I used to admire Tesla, they plonked a load of laptop batteries and a powerful motor into an Elise and said away you go. Now they're just greedy hipster c*nts like the rest of Silicon Valley hellbent on world domination

I used to admire Tesla, they plonked a load of laptop batteries and a powerful motor into an Elise and said away you go. Now they're just greedy hipster c*nts like the rest of Silicon Valley hellbent on world domination

Out off interest, what pc and browser to you use to post on boards?

The only similarity between the Tesla that made the roadster and the Tesla that made the model s is the name and CEO.

Nearly every one from the original team has left. In fairness Tesla were hipster back then, now they're much more similar to the other car manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just watched the mercedes video above- apart from a gimmick why would you bother.
    When autonomous cars are here thats grand but to sit there trying to be alert while not driving i'd be hovering paranoid or asleep... or alternating..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

This raises an interesting point but not about the usual kind of privacy issues. Rather that if you have an accident in a Tesla and it's high profile, then you should prepare to have Tesla do everything in their power to publicise that the car was not at fault.

You won't just have made a mistake or been distracted or whatever people usually say about 'accidents' you will be the idiot who crashed a Tesla.

That's potentially kind of a negative feature of ownership.
    Obviously we are all perfect drivers here but well it's worth a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its not gathering data on you. Its gathering data on drivers response vs application response in every scenario so they can fix bugs and cover new test cases.

They dont care if you are singing along to Rihanna :p

Advertisement