Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BioShock: The Collection

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

71746948.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Brilliant review on Steam
    I am Kuzhov, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a PC player not entitled to the well done port?
    'No!' says the man in Sony, 'It belongs to the PS4.'
    'No!' says the man in Microsoft , 'It belongs to XB1.'
    'No!' says the man in 2K, 'It belongs to consoles.'
    I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... other games, games where the player would not fear lack of FOV slider, where the settings tuner would not be bound by petty video settings, Where the great Master Race would not be constrained by the console peasants! And with well done PC ports, other games can become your favourites as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So everyone's perfectly working PC versions have been patched into a botch job? Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So everyone's perfectly working PC versions have been patched into a botch job? Lovely.

Afaik it's a different game so you can still play the original just fine.

The console version on X1 running lovely and looks great.
    Done a great job on this.

• Advertisement

They basically discuss which Bioshock is there favourite.
    There is little to no reference or discussion on the quality of the 'REMASTER' at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Replayed all of Bio Shock 1 there last week and holy cow batman that game is still as good as it was when i played it back in 2007 i would say i enjoyed it more 9 years later as i had forgot must of it. To me this is maybe the best video game off all time. IT gets everything right Story, Action, Upgrades, Guns just everything.

I am now replaying Bio Shock 2. To me the forgetting bio shock as very little people talk about this one compare to the other 2. To me gameplay wise it is even better then the 1st one as the big daddy and big sister fights you will be with out eve and ammo before you know it so you are left to use your brain on how to kill things. Story wise its as good if not better in parts then the 1st Bioshock. I have got 1/2 of the little sisters so far and i just love playing the game.

After this i have the last one to play.

I paid what 32 euros for the game from Amazon i think this has been the best value i have had in gaming in years as 3 fantastic more or less forgotten about games on a disc.

I do think they remastered the games this year to see how it sales and get the hype up again for Bioshock as there will be another one in the next 2 years and i would not be shocked to see a new one at E3 or even the game Adwords this year. All i know it will be a day 1 buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Is that PS4 you're playing on? Graphically does it look like an upgrade?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Is that PS4 you're playing on? Graphically does it look like an upgrade?

Playing it on the xbox one.

I would say that the game was way better lighting and shadows compare to the old one also it runs fantastic on the xbox one extremely well done game. Also there would be way more detail in stuff as well.

If your a fan of the games i would say buy them and see for yourself as you wont regret it at all.

I am now done and dusted with Bioshock 2 what a fantastic game. I forgot there was DLC as well on the disc to play and have played that as well and for DLC it was very very well done.

About to replay BioShock Infinite now and i cant wait to play the DLC as well as i never played it before bioshock is just one of them games that makes me love gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jumping from Bioshock 1 to 2 is great. The two most annoying things about the original are addressed right away, the hacking is much faster and dual-wielding plasmids and weapons feels so more fluid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

J. Marston wrote: »
    Jumping from Bioshock 1 to 2 is great. The two most annoying things about the original are addressed right away, the hacking is much faster and dual-wielding plasmids and weapons feels so more fluid.

It would have been great if the control improvements in 2 could have been backported to 1. I can see why it wouldn't be feasible of course as you would no doubt really need to revisit practicality every aspect of gameplay /level design to rebalance the game, but great and all as 1 is hard to go back once you have played 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Hi guys. I played the first 3-4 hours of Bioshock on PS4 a few weeks back, but since then I've completed the Half-Life series on Mac. That was my first time playing a FPS with a keyboard and mouse and I absolutely loved it. So I returned to Bioshock today but suddenly the aiming feels slow. I bumped the sensitivity all the way up but it still feels like I'm wading through thin air. Anyway, I'm just wondering if Bioshock is just a slow type of game in that respect, or have I had my brain re-wired over the past fortnight? I have no other console FPS at hand to try out, so I'm hoping it's just Bioshock. I'm picking up Dishonored 2 next month for console and I'm bloody dreading it now.

Also, I hear that a keyboard and mouse can be hooked it up to a PS4, but do many FPS games support it or is it merely for web browsing?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are playing on PS4 then as far as I can remember the aiming was really slow in the original Bioshock so it looks like they kept it. You could change the sensitivity in the options but it will make precise aiming difficult.

A joypad is awful compared to a mouse but you'll get used to it and Bioshock isn't really a game where it's essential.

Done and dusted with all 3 of them now.

BioShock Infinite is bioshock but a total different kind of bioshock the story in it is fantastic but gameplay is very meh and very everyday FPS with some vigers added like being honest they well like there just there and you can play the game with out them as at times i forgot in gunfights that i can use them as i am to busy with guns. But the story i think there is way more depth to it then bioshock 1 and 2 but gameplay wise its not there at all just your everyday FPS.

I started the DLC for Infinite and being honest i dont care for it as i think i am bioshocked out after playing them none stop for the past 3 weeks.

So tomorrow will be trading it in as i wont to hit Gears of war 4 and Froza H 3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I love how everyone re-playing them has reasserted my long held opinion that Infinite was a let down in a lot of ways and was overly praised by critics as "GOTY" \o/

That being said, I do need to go back and play the DLC for 3 which I had the season pass for, but passed me by and i've heard its excellent

I didn't like Infinite at all. Crap story and gameplay.

The first DLC is a bit meh but the second DLC is worth playing. They grafted stealth mechanics into it but somehow it works, ended up enjoying it more than the actual game even if it probably makes the story even worse with some ham fisted retconning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I didn't like Infinite at all. Crap story and gameplay.

The first DLC is a bit meh but the second DLC is worth playing. They grafted stealth mechanics into it but somehow it works, ended up enjoying it more than the actual game even if it probably makes the story even worse with some ham fisted retconning.

Whatever about retconning from game to game, which is bad enough, but are you saying that Infinite's DLC retconned Infinite itself? That's awful. Was that necessary? Talk about lack of foresight...

Cormac... wrote: »
    I love how everyone re-playing them has reasserted my long held opinion that Infinite was a let down in a lot of ways and was overly praised by critics as "GOTY" \o/

That being said, I do need to go back and play the DLC for 3 which I had the season pass for, but passed me by and i've heard its excellent

What it showed me is how much I still love 1 & 2
    And I'd argue gameplay wise Bioshock 2 benefits the most from the 60fps boost and increased visuals.
    Genuinely feel like a badass, and variation in combat is excellent. It's so much too control at higher fps than it was on x360
    I also played both PC versions initially which were great in there own right

Have things improved much since the 'patch' for PC ?

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Whatever about retconning from game to game, which is bad enough, but are you saying that Infinite's DLC retconned Infinite itself? That's awful. Was that necessary? Talk about lack of foresight...

There's a plot point in the main game where a character does something really cruel and out of character and that part came under a lot of criticism at the time because it was kind of stupid. The final DLC tries to give the character a reason for doing this but it just ends up being stupider and is quite obviously Ken Levine using a band aid to try and cover up a dumb decision.

That's the only real issue with the plot of the DLC though. It ties the whole series of games together though, not in any sort of satisfying way but some people love it for it.

There's a plot point in the main game where a character does something really cruel and out of character and that part came under a lot of criticism at the time because it was kind of stupid.

What was it, a while since I played.
    Can you type it up in Spoilers here maybe ?

Can't remember the characters name but the leader of the resistance and the issue was when she took a child hostage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just picked this collection up, for my PS4, for the princely sum of €24.99, preowned in GameStop, that famous home of da bargains...
    Surprised at it myself, that GS has something cheap, and it was in a sleeve with two separate games cases, while the XB1 version, bought as a gift recently, comes packed in a single game case.... Odd packaging but on we go....

After finishing Bioshock 2 again, it's probably my favourite of the series. It's brilliant.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just picked this collection up, for my PS4, for the princely sum of €24.99, preowned in GameStop, that famous home of da bargains...
    Surprised at it myself, that GS has something cheap, and it was in a sleeve with two separate games cases, while the XB1 version, bought as a gift recently, comes packed in a single game case.... Odd packaging but on we go....

That interesting. Because I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw it pre-owned on Ps4 for that price and also thought what a bargain. When I took it to the counter to pay the guy checked that I only wanted Bioshock and Bioshock 2 and didn't want Infinite.

Turns out that they had split the collection that you got into two and were charging €25 for each part of it.

So either the Gamestop I went into made a mistake or the one you went to did. Based on the price being such a bargain I'd say it was yours.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That interesting. Because I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw it pre-owned on Ps4 for that price and also thought what a bargain. When I took it to the counter to pay the guy checked that I only wanted Bioshock and Bioshock 2 and didn't want Infinite.

Turns out that they had split the collection that you got into two and were charging €25 for each part of it.

So either the Gamestop I went into made a mistake or the one you went to did. Based on the price being such a bargain I'd say it was yours.

It was preowed when I got it, no suggestion of splitting it either.
    €25 per part sounds more like the kind of Gamestop antics we've become accustomed to!

The person I bought it from was the store manager, and there for a number of years, can't see him screwing it up tbh, but there's always a first time, or perhaps it was my winning smile!!

edit: I just looked at the relevant part of the GS site, the collection on the PS4 has no price, new or preowned, link, if this is reflected on their instore POS system they will have priced the new copy at the same rate as the XB1 edition, €49.99, then they would have guessed at the preowned value, as it's not set.
    Going by their usual efforts, one would have expected something around €29.99 or €34.99 for the pack, but €25 for each disk is taking the p1ss tbh

I booted up Steam yesterday and noticed that I had the new Collection. I hadn't realised that they'd given it out free if you had the old games. So has anyone played the PC version since it has been patched?

After finishing Infinite, the gameplay was such a step back from 2. Why the two gun limit? Also, the vigours just didn't feel as satisfying as 1 & 2's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement