Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BioShock: The Collection

Options
  • 30-06-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭

1, 2 & Infinite with all single player DLC and Ken Levine commentary on Bioshock. Out in September.

People seem to be pretty tired of remasters but I don't mind this one. Loved these games and would gladly play through them again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

You can currently buy the three games in the steam sale for €10.50, my friend said they are gonna upgrade the old games for free on PC. Anybody else hear this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're probably just the PC versions with a few bells and whistles. It's been confirmed that you get the PC versions free if you own them already.

Loved Bioshock one at the time but when I go back to it now I get sick of it very quickly. Same with the second although Minervas Den was excellent, probably due to being the right length.

Infinite... I did not like at all. Story was stupid and the combat boring. The second DLC chapter was at least fun even if the story was equally as silly.

This is a remaster I won't be picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dear lord it never ends.

I could maybe stand to play the first one again but no urge to play the others again despite enjoying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I've been wanting to play this series having listened to the Cane and Rinse podcasts, so it's perfect timing for me.

I only played 3 or 4 hours of the first one and I remember being very impressed with the art design and overall tone of the game. I also put a couple of hours into Infinite but I'm afraid I did not enjoy the setting or those sky hook things. Far too 'gamey'.

Overall I'm very interested in these remasters but I understand people's cynicism, both about this project and the countless other re-releases. There's definitely a lack of quality triple-A games for this current generation of consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Infinite... I did not like at all. Story was stupid and the combat boring. The second DLC chapter was at least fun even if the story was equally as silly.

This is a remaster I won't be picking up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kirby wrote: »

They can put as much interdimensional time travelling into the game but ultimately M Night Shyamalan twists don't impress me and it handled it's themes really poorly.

A game that wants to make a statement about how dull FPS games are while being one of the dullest FPS games last gen has pretty much failed.

The biggest crime was the awful retconning of one of the worst character U-turns in the main game in the DLC. Kevin, you done f-ed up. Don't try to hide it in the most ham fisted way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yup, confirmed existing owners get the updated collection for free.

With Infinite not being touched I do wonder what kind of lick of paint the original games get on the PC. Either way, I'm definitely interested in Levine's commentary and the Museum of Orphaned Concepts content from the first entry, that game had a pretty intriguing development history after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The only thing the original Bioshock needed was to fix the 30fps ragdoll physics.

I stopped playing Bioshock 2 because there's an audio issue where sounds are really quiet compared to some others, mainly gunshots being a mere patter.

It's kind of sad that we had to wait for an 8th remaster before these near decade old issues are possibly going to be fixed. It would be a comedy if they weren't.

Bioshag: Trinity not being included with the bundle was a missed opportunity ;)

Infinite had a great story - to me, it made up for the repetitive shooting of the rest of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I heard we were talking about Bioshock, I got here as fast as I could.

*clears throat*

Bioshock 2 was better than Bioshock Infinite

The actual gameplay in Infinite was just awful, really awful, and while the story was good while playing it, the ending was just like mashing 4 cliche plot twists together. I agree with Retro, it was not impressive.

I need to replay #2. I played it too soon after #1, so it just paled in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I need to replay #2. I played it too soon after #1, so it just paled in comparison.

The reason I liked 2 was it was just the right amount of "More of the same but slightly different" for me to get my sequel jollies off

They didn't mess with the formula too much.

That whole sthick with Infinite only being able to hold 2 guns overall and every gun having a Blue and Red version that both upgraded separately and the fact only 3 vigors were of any actual use just really made me dislike the gameplay and it's flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Damn, I was hoping they'd update Infinite. I tried to replay it recently but came to a point where it crashes to desktop every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wish they released the Infinite they talked about when it was revealed seems development went to hell in it.
    I might pick this up eventually when it's on sale. Never played the DLC or BioShock 2.
    Bar Mass Effect & Red Dead there isn't anything much left to "remake".

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I liked #2 too, the different fight tactics made sure it wasnt more of the same, my big complaint was you never felt like a fully powered big daddy.

Speaking of #2 - when you listen to the Splicer quotes by themselves, they add a whole new level to the game. You start to realize that these are just normal people that have been corrupted.

Pigskin, especially, is heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

i love the whole series and lore that levine build between infinite and 1, the kindle book was a nice little addition before infinite came out and the DLC for infinite was excellent.

agreed with most on 2 being more of the same which necessarily isn't a bad thing but it just didn't add anything to the story above to have it reach the levels of the other two. That being said Minerva den was a a spectacular DLC and one of the most enjoyable ive ever bought

Kindle book? Are you referring to BioShock: Rapture, or is there another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Kindle book? Are you referring to BioShock: Rapture, or is there another one?

no it was this one, its a short story no more than a half hour read but sets the scene for the game told as interviews with daisy. I bought it before the game was released so i enjoyed it, no idea how it would hold up after playing the game, im sure there is a pdf online of it somewhere below is a link if ya wanna pay the 2 euro

https://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Revolt-Joe-Fielder-ebook/dp/B00B2SO7NU#navbar

For what its worth, i really enjoyed Bioshock: Rapture as a book as well and from looking online there is a further 3 books since i read rapture so i will pick them up.

The whole idea of rapture as a setting for books, games, tv or movies is one i think could be used alot better

• Advertisement

I prefer the writing in Bioshock 2. Ken Levine has a thing for creating apocalyptic worlds and making every character in them irredeemable bad or selfish (which also isn't very realistic). The characters in Bioshock 2 are a lot more human and believable.

The problem with Bioshock 2 is that it's just too long. It can be exhausting to play. However on replaying Bioshock 1 I got the same feeling of exhaustion from it as well. Perhaps the newness of it at the time cancelled that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ERG89 wrote: »
    I wish they released the Infinite they talked about when it was revealed seems development went to hell in it.
    I might pick this up eventually when it's on sale. Never played the DLC or BioShock 2.
    Bar Mass Effect & Red Dead there isn't anything much left to "remake".

Bioshock trilogy is in the Steam summer sale for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

I return to Boards after almost 8 years to find people talking about Bioshock. It's like I've never been away :)
    Loved Bioshock and Bioshock 2. Thought Minerva's Den DLC was outstanding.

Mixed feelings about Bioshock Infinite. Some of it I liked, some of it wasn't so great. I did enjoy the DLC for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I think I have spare copies of this for the PC is anyone wants a key. Came in a bundle some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I mean the first two games that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

I mean the first two games that is...

I would be interested if they're still going please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Only just heard about this release. I played the three games for the first time about 18 months ago and really enjoyed the first two (the second one just as much as the first weirdly). Infinite I could take or leave, tbh. I've got them both on PS3 and PC so I'm glad to hear I'll get the PC update for free.

I get the backlash re remastered editions of things but this is one I'm interested in. Give me this, Arkham and Red Dead and then I'll be be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Can't wait to pick this up myself now 3 fantastic games in one bundle you just can't go wrong.

I still remander getting bioshock 1 when it 1st came out on the 360 back in 07 and just played it for the week going Omg this is just epic.

Bioshock 2 I got it for the ps3 when it came out in 10 I remander games stop done a mess up with there trade in deals where you could trade any game in for it and pay 5 euros so I bought a copy of fifa 08 for 5 euros ha ha. But game wise it was a very underrated game and I do not get the hate for it.

Bioshock in fantastic all round remember getting it the Friday and it was done on the Sunday when I was post to be doing college work.... Just way to much fun to play.

Played all 3 games at different stages of my life and remind me of the fun and bad times at them times and when I be replaying them that's what I will be thinking about :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A re-master of the first game will be something special, the introduction to the game and it's world is an experience that has rarely, if even, been done better before. For a game almost ten years old now it's held up very well.

I agree that Bioshock 2 was also a brilliant game, obviously not as knock-your-socks-off as the original but basically did an excellent job of innovating while sticking with the 'if it's not broken, don't try and fix it' mantra.

Infinite I didn't overly enjoy. It wouldn't be fair to call it a bad game but it simply did not grip me at all like the previous games and I felt it meandered and tried to be too clever far too often. Burial at Sea was excellent DLC though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

The only new thing in this collection is a documentary, that's all. I don't think it's worth paying $60 for something I already have

Advertisement