Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All 6 series are now available on Netflix

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Really looking forward to the HD version of DS9

All those space battles....

Still though, it holds up very well after all this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Really looking forward to the HD version of DS9

There's no such thing unfortunately. The carrier from Netflix may indeed be HD, but the show isn't, and it's not looking like they'll ever bother giving it the HD treatment either :(

Myrddin wrote: »
    There's no such thing unfortunately. The carrier from Netflix may indeed be HD, but the show isn't, and it's not looking like they'll ever bother giving it the HD treatment either :(

I know it's currently not. Dont you ruin my dreams. Some day.....

Although I suspect it would be a nightmare to create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That clip looks incredible. Those effects will never age.

Myrddin wrote: »
    That clip looks incredible. Those effects will never age.

Yeah it's pretty amazing. I think it was just some fans who decided to test making HD of DS9.

Could you imagine seven seasons of that.!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    DS9 is pretty epic alright. Once it hits its stride at the end of season 2 (although there are some good episodes before that as well) it gets better and better.

I'm finding the episodes a little 'problem of the week', so far. Entertaining, of course, but hopefully it'll pick up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Doing the DS9 run through myself. The bad episodes in seasons one and two are much harder to watch than the cheesy duds in early TNG, imo. I had to skip a good handful.

Serious pickup in quality as soon as season 3 starts though. Really enjoying it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Goodshape wrote: »
    Doing the DS9 run through myself. The bad episodes in seasons one and two are much harder to watch than the cheesy duds in early TNG, imo. I had to skip a good handful.

Serious pickup in quality as soon as season 3 starts though. Really enjoying it now.

It gets better as it goes along - Season 3 is merely the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm on season 6 of DS9, I've started watching Voyager to drag out the last few episodes of DS9 for as long as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The picture quality on TNG.... is that broadly speaking what the BluRays look like? I know that streaming will never be as good as full HD on physical media but I'm looking for an impression of what the BouRays look like?

The FX look beautiful but I was surprised at how grainy the picture was. I'm not sure I'll waste my money on the discs if they're like that.

I know grain can be a stylistic choice but in my head these HD remasterings of TNG had crystal clear picture quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The picture quality on TNG.... is that broadly speaking what the BluRays look like? I know that streaming will never be as good as full HD on physical media but I'm looking for an impression of what the BouRays look like?

The FX look beautiful but I was surprised at how grainy the picture was. I'm not sure I'll waste my money on the discs if they're like that.

I know grain can be a stylistic choice but in my head these HD remasterings of TNG had crystal clear picture quality.

I guess it's going to depend a lot how the thing was filmed and converted. Disks are usually better, they have more space to work with so don't need to suffer compression problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

'80s film stock probably accounts for a lot of the grain you are seeing. I was under the impression the grain got finer as the seasons progressed. The flat, over-lit cinematography of later seasons should help with this as well.

Advertisement