Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good *wide* family car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Cupra280

Gwynston, check out the CarWow channel on YouTube.

For every car that is reviewed, there is a separate practicality review where 3 adults sit in the back, and check if they would like to be in there for a long journey. From what I can recall, there is very few that get 3 thumbs up.

Also, the Suberb would have a transmission tunnel, as while the majority of cars sold would be FWD, it is available as a 4WD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

unkel wrote: »
    You and everybody else in Ireland are missing the obvious. Start with a big saloon / estate. One size up from the cars mentioned like the Mondeo. So we are talking Mercedes E-class, BMW 5-series, etc.

For budget reasons you will obviously have to buy a slightly older car, but you will be well compensated for it in terms of space, comfort, luxury and refinement.

I've 3 kids myself the first coming into their teenage years (that means you need less space than before with the car seats / boosters) and I've never even considered buying an MPV...

you can't get 3 seats across a BMW 5 series :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your trying to put 3 seats across the back of a 5 Series then I'm afraid you bought the wrong car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Gwynston wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider a 5-series that big - and it has a large transmission tunnel. Non-starter, I'm afraid.
    We have 3 kids aged 7, 10, 12

How big are your kids? Mine are 8, 10 and almost 13. The youngest is small and still on a booster. The others are taller / bigger than average for their age

They fitted absolutely fine in E60 BMW or S-type Jaguar. In fact, now the middle one is no longer on a booster, we are considering a smaller car.

And yes, with a RWD car there is a transmission tunnel, but that has never been brought up as an issue. The big bonus about a car like the above is the comfort. We did a drive on the hottest day in 10 years last summer from Donegal to Dublin and we all got out fresh as a daisy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

How big are your kids? Mine are 8, 10 and almost 13. The youngest is small and still on a booster. The others are taller / bigger than average for their age

They fitted absolutely fine in E60 BMW or S-type Jaguar. In fact, now the middle one is no longer on a booster, we are considering a smaller car.

Mine are just about the same age as yours, but they've been used to having 3 individual seats and not having to "touch" each other. All the non-MPV cars we've tried mean a compromise on space compared to what they're used to.

The Superb was wide enough, but the transmission tunnel meant my daughter (who's the middle child and prefers to sit in the centre seat) felt uncompromisingly spread-legged after a few minutes of the test drive. :eek:

The purpose of this thread was to see if there were any non-MPV cars that offered as much space and comfort in the back for three. I'm concluding that there is not... :(

• Advertisement

And yes, with a RWD car there is a transmission tunnel, but that has never been brought up as an issue. The big bonus about a car like the above is the comfort. We did a drive on the hottest day in 10 years last summer from Donegal to Dublin and we all got out fresh as a daisy :)
    That's impressive, although of course the heat has little to do with it so long as you have good aircon. I'm more interested in the comfort though. Did the child sitting in the middle use a booster by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerekM1974

Fiat Doblo passenger: 3 rear seats and no footwell protrusion!

I've driven a few and its a great family wagon. I've had my wife sitting in the rear between my two daughters in booster seats

Mine are just about the same age as yours, but they've been used to having 3 individual seats and not having to "touch" each other.

Fair enough, I didn't appreciate that it was a must for your kids to have individual seats. The cars I mentioned are wide enough for 3 adults in the back, but yes, they would touch each other alright.

I'm not aware of any normal car with 3 individual seats in the back, but I'll keep following this thread in case there is. Although I'm not convinced the fighting will drastically be reduced in 3 seats (but still very close to each other). Might need to box the 3 of them in, each in their own little cage :p
    That's impressive, although of course the heat has little to do with it so long as you have good aircon. I'm more interested in the comfort though. Did the child sitting in the middle use a booster by any chance?

No the booster was behind the front passenger. The comfort is more to do with the comfort of a large executive saloon. Very little outside noise, smooth straight 6 petrol engine with modern automatic gearbox, ride comfort, comfortable seats, etc. Pretty much a car designed for doing big mileages at speed in comfort (think Autobahn)

Indeed - they are a trio of bold rascals - put one in the boot! :D

I don't really expect 3 individual seats, but was surprised that there's no real 5-seater non-MPV car. They are all compromised by only having two "proper seats" in the rear and/or transmission-tunnel issues.

Except the 5-seat Picasso, I suppose. But I really can't hack the interior.

So it's either a proper MPV or get something more stylish and tell the kids to put up or shut up. :p
    (Until they get bigger and scarier than me :eek: )

Indeed - they are a trio of bold rascals - put one in the boot! :D

Now you're giving me ideas! I've a Boxster. One kid can go on the seat beside me. One in the trunk. One in the "frunk". And the wife stays at home. Perfect road trip :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

New Peugeot 5008 SUV. Larger than current 5008 with SUV styling and 7 individual seats. I believe you will be able to buy it in 5 seater format too. Looks good, BUT, cant see it hit Ireland before late Spring.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/new-5008/gt-line/

I reckon Irish prices might start around 28K

Yeah, I would consider the new 5008 and the Skoda Kodiaq. Both larger than mid-size SUVs, but should undercut the price of a new S-Max.

Trouble is waiting to even get to see one - they're just "virtual" cars at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Yes you're right. Im guessing you will have the exact same issue with a Kodiaq. You could go and look at a 3008, its obviously smaller and second row is not 3 individual. But if you don't like the interior or the drive then it should rule out the 5008. However if you love it, well then it might be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Volvo XC60 has quite a wide rear bench of seats, have you looked at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

New Peugeot 5008 SUV. Larger than current 5008 with SUV styling and 7 individual seats. I believe you will be able to buy it in 5 seater format too. Looks good, BUT, cant see it hit Ireland before late Spring.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/new-5008/gt-line/

I reckon Irish prices might start around 28K

I talked to Peugeot direct and to a dealer, pricing in April with demo models and ability to buy in May. I can see them selling most for the 172 market. Can't see anyone buying in May under a 171 plate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

The Superb sounds like your best bet.
    Put the smallest child in the centre seat... problem solved.

bf wrote: »
    Volvo XC60 has quite a wide rear bench of seats, have you looked at it?
    Yes - had a look at one today!
    Space doesn't look bad in the back - a bit better than typical mid-size SUVs. A smallish transmission tunnel, but I suspect it would be less of an issue than in the Superb due to the higher seating.

Local dealer has a nearly new one and also a 2-y-o one, so I think I'll take the kids in to try it for size. Would cost as much as a new S-Max, but is in a class above and would be a nice car to own - if it's big enough.

minikin wrote: »
    The Superb sounds like your best bet.
    Put the smallest child in the centre seat... problem solved.
    Yes - putting the smallest child, with the shortest legs in the middle would be a solution.

Unfortunately, my 10-y-o daughter - who's the middle child - tends to feel car sick unless she can sit in the middle and look out the front.

Maybe we could put her in the front with me and stick her mum in the back! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Toyota Prius+? It's a 7 seater with 3 full seats in the middle row and a flat floor. The rear row folds flat for more boot space.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We had a 307sw 2003, 3 full individual seats across the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Did you test drive the new Renault Scenic yet?

I'm trading my 2006 Rav4 in for one next week. Like you I'd much rather avoid the MPV type car but with three kids (age 12, 10 and 6) I'm at the stage where I need three full seats. Otherwise it's a squabble between the older pair every time we get into the car.

The cars we looked at were the Qasquai (too small), Xtrail (love this although like the rest we looked at it doesn't quite ticking the three full seats requirement plus it's overpriced IMO), Rav4 (nothing much has changed interior wise since 2006), Verso (husband hates them), Kia, Hyundai (neither did anything for us), VW Touran (hated this).

I do like the look of that Peugeot 5008 - kinda sorry I opened this thread now I see it.:eek:

Haven't looked at the new Scenic yet. Looks nice though - like the Kadjar, but I'm not sure if the rear space is any bigger. Like the old non-grand Scenic and the non-grand C-Max - limited space in the middle. Only the non-grand Picasso has a full middle seat. Even Peugeot who are using the platforms as Citroen have the old 5008 equivalent to the Grand Picasso (3 full seats), but the old 3008 doesn't have the same as the 5-seat Picasso.

My father has an X-Trail and and when visiting my parents in the summer it was too much of a squeeze with all us 5 too. 3rd row very cramped even for kids and middle row middle seat is compromised again.

Had a peak from the outside at a new Honda CR-V today. Of the 5-seat options, it looks to have perhaps the widest back seat. I've always thought the hind quarters CR-V styling looked a bit odd, but the latest model is an improvement. They seem overpriced though.

I'll get the family down to check the space in the CR-V and Volvo XC60. If they end up not wide enough, I think I'll have to give up on SUVs and revert to MPV choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

The CR-V is should be wide enough at the back to sit 3 kids. The new Peugeot 5008 that is to come out this year will be a 7 seater with all individual seats in the back. Seems like a decent size SUV that should be big enough to carry 5 adults imo.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Last year we had to trade in our 07 S-Max cos the timing chain and some other major components were wearing out (e.g. leak in the turbo, etc). This gave us a mahoosive repair bill so we decided instead to go with a new (second hand) car. We have kids 5, 7 and 9 y.o. and were on a very tight budget. We struggled with many cars inability to accomodate three high backed booster seats in the back like we had in the s-max, but like you the s-max's were massively priced and not a lot on the 2nd hand market for our budget.

In the end we went for the Hyundai i40 Tourer. It's a squeeze for the three booster seats but managable and our kids are younger and probably smaller than yours. We had get a reality check because we were buying a car based on it's ability to fit the booster seats not the other way around. We bought some narrower high-backed booster seats (although not hughely narrower but every cm counts). Lovely car to drive and we're very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Yes - putting the smallest child, with the shortest legs in the middle would be a solution.

Unfortunately, my 10-y-o daughter - who's the middle child - tends to feel car sick unless she can sit in the middle and look out the front.

Maybe we could put her in the front with me and stick her mum in the back! :p

Stick her in upside down so, thank me later 😀
    rcn6ko.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I just don't get it - how does everyone else manage with 3 kids in regular cars? :confused:

I have an 08 S-Max :D

For the record - I had a look at the new Skoda Kodiaq today due for launch in March:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102245727&postcount=99

Nice car and I'd consider one if it undercuts a new S-Max in price, but unfortunately the middle row is a bench seat with similar space as a Superb. So the new 5008 looks like it will be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭Ryath

Did you ever go back and test drive the Zafira and try it with the kids? I'm driving one the last three month and I'm very pleased with it. Was originally looking for a used Smax but ended up getting the Zafira new for the price dealers were looking for 3 year old Smax's with the added bonus of 0% finance and a free years road tax! Paying €28400 which amounted to around €5500 of list and got a free tow bar. Got the 1.6 diesel SE would have liked the 2 ltr but they had none on order in the system bar an automatic Elite which was near Smax money. Had to go with one on order to get the extra discount. Still very impressed with the engine much better than any of the VAG, Ford/Peugot 1.6s I test drove. It has 138bhp and honestly coming from a 2ltr petrol mondeo it feels no slower. Once warmed up its actually very quite even pushing hard. Averaging about 50mpg

I do like the look of the Kodiaq seems to look more like a big estate like the Audi Q7 than an SUV and I did consider waiting. Space wise the zafira middle seat seems quite good we've had two adults and a child in quite a chunky high back boster and it seemed quite roomy. Just threw tape measure over them, outside seats are 45cm wide with 40cm between them for the middle seat. The facelift model is out now and they have improved the spec on the entry level model. The dash is better with the new touch screen which has android auto/apple car play but I prefer the front lights on the old one. Dealers may still have a few to shift so you may still get a good deal on the other hand they will be worth less on trade in so it will depend on how long you plan to keeps it.

Usefull site for comparing car dimensions
    http://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php#!

Boot on kodaiq looks reasonable even with seven seats but middle seat on zafira and 5008 are definitely much wider.
    Skoda
    skoda-kodiaq-2017-boot.jpg

Opel
    opel-zafira-2016-boot.jpg

peugeot-5008-2017-interior.jpg

No didn't go back to Opel as yet. The dealer was supposed to call me back with a trade-in offer on our old S-Max, but never bothered, which is kind of rude.

I'm slightly put off by the fact that the Zafira has been around a long time now, albeit there's the recent mild facelift which I agree isn't as nice at the front.

Might be worth considering though if the price is good, if I end up taking a step back to considering something smaller and more compact, like the current 5008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Had to take the afternoon off to look after the kids, so did a bit of car shopping!

When I collected them off my wife, I pointed out a 5008 to my her, and she said "Too boxy..."

Stopped by the Hyundai dealer and tried the kids out in the back of a Tucson. Two of them use booster seats and the middle wasn't really suitable for one. Even the bigger 7-seat Santa Fe doesn't have three separate seats and again, a booster wouldn't really work in the middle.

Then went to the Citroen dealer to compare the C4 Grand Picasso with the non-Grand. Surprisingly, there was pretty much the same space in the back 3 separate seats in the 5-seater. While I quite liked the external styling, the kids didn't - perhaps it's too radical for them. However, I really don't like the central instrument cluster and some of the interior trim and panelling came across as pretty cheap. Plus I really didn't like the seat material.

So, back to the drawing board...!

Kids didn't like the styling! Are they paying a share towards the new car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement