Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Irish property price for sale crash again

Options
  • 28-06-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I had gone sale agreed on property in Galway but have pulled out because of Brexit vote, when i told the Auntineer, he said he had 9 others pulled out of sale agreed properties since Brexit vote.
    I have also heard since the banks shares are down they are being forced to put properties on the market that they were holding back.
    I have a quick look at daft and couldn't believe the amount of property that is back on the market.
    Im just wondering how bad it going to get this time?

It will be interesting to see it on the property price register in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Genuine question, why would Brexit put you off?

I understand the uncertainty around it...
    But if this is your home you are buying and you have presumably done your sums re:affordability and have mortgage approval, then I'm not sure why you would not go ahead. Is it purely because you expect prices to fall again? That same uncertainty may threaten future mortgage approvals and it may not come as easy again.

I am, of course, assuming this is your home you are buying and not an investment property, which would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

In Ireland the debt follows the person not the house so you can't just hand back the keys, they keep coming after all your assets and any other money you have :-(
    Thats not exactly true...we have a few hundred repossessions every year, most of which are voluntary. And this despite world record levels of arrears.

As for price falls following Brexit. I'm thinking the opposite.
    Some jobs definitely will come to Dublin from London putting more pressure on the housing market there.
    Plus, I can see a lot more Eastern Europeans moving here who would otherwise have gone to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think the prices might stagnate for the next couple of years and then start moving up once Brexit really kicks in. If it really happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think the prices might stagnate for the next couple of years and then start moving up once Brexit really kicks in. If it really happens.

If..... Now thats the big question isn't it?? I can see a Lisbon Type rerun. One thing is for certain, its the uncertainty thats hurting the markets most!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GalwayBmw

I had gone sale agreed on property in Galway but have pulled out because of Brexit vote, when i told the Auntineer, he said he had 9 others pulled out of sale agreed properties since Brexit vote.
    I have also heard since the banks shares are down they are being forced to put properties on the market that they were holding back.
    I have a quick look at daft and couldn't believe the amount of property that is back on the market.
    Im just wondering how bad it going to get this time?

It will be interesting to see it on the property price register in the future.

Nah, you're not gonna get the asking lowered... /your estate agent/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

I moved into my house 4 weeks ago (new build). New and final phase being built now, same house is up 12500 in price from what I paid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 themainman2010

Also have seen on the net that the Vulture funds have just issued sell instructions to the hundreds of properties they have in Ireland, this will see huge number of properties appear on the Irish market!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Also have seen on the net that the Vulture funds have just issued sell instructions to the hundreds of properties they have in Ireland, this will see huge number of properties appear on the Irish market!

I wouldnt believe everything you read on the net. I'm not saying you are wrong mind, just that there is sooooo much, I heard from a friends cousin stuff that it creates its own uncertainty and rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

the lack of knowledge and facts and the amount of speculation in this thread is obscene.

Please, i implore anyone buying or thinking of buying a house not to judge their options by anything on boards.ie

go with what you feel is right.

If you can afford somewhere. if you like somewhere. if it is right for you. buy it.

Dont pull out of a sale because dave from the internet said so. or brexit. a rediculous notion that the house that was right for you now is suddenly wrong on the off chance another house may come online.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Askthe EA wrote: »
    I wouldnt believe everything you read on the net. I'm not saying you are wrong mind, just that there is sooooo much, I heard from a friends cousin stuff that it creates its own uncertainty and rumours.

Well there is also the transparency of just reading the market. Sells orders went through the roof the morning of the result.

I think it would be pretty shrewd to hold off as it's entirely possible prices will start falling again. And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect another recession here in the coming years.

All of this assumes Britain actually leave the EU. Forgotten in all of this is that the UK are not bound to referendums, and considering the leave campaign promises being revealed as lies, there might be a significant enough push to have another vote.

I'm not one for the scaremongering, but the last thing I'd so right now is make a six figure investment in anything. On the downside a recession will likely happen here if the UK leave, and people will get caught into negative equity AGAIN, on the pluside, there might well be a property rush to the market, and prices will drop significantly.

To the side of this, you need to factor in who will be navigating us through this issue. A ragtag government that had a likely 12 month expiry date. So we already don't have a government most would be confident can navigate this effectively for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

cardinal tetra i salute your comment, right on the button, there is no guarantee to the way things are going to play out here. to say prices definitely going to fall is foolish. maybe they will, maybe they may well rise. so many factors in terms of buying a house people forget about too. reminds me of the time a colleague played hardball on a house purchase and got it for 7.5k cheaper as a result but in that time of negotiations had incurred another 12k rent expense.

I hope there see lots of people foolish enough to drop out of buying houses like the op because of brexit as it gives me more choice of places to buy. I certainly am not changing my plans to buy in fact I'd be more inclined to buy incase it gets harder to get a mortgage.

Brexit is not going to have any meaningful effect on prices here is a massive knee jerk reaction to pull out of buying a house you want because of it, how much rent will be spent between now and when you do buy, thousands and thousands no doubt. We also have no supply so it's very difficult to see any meaningful fall in prices are there will always be enough demand to keep prices up until there is a massive amount of houses built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

my point audi12 is not necessarily that there are going to rise. it is simply that there is a huge assumption being made that they are going to fall dramatically. the coming years will tell of course. in dublin for instance supply is short, and as such that it is rare is always going to be attractive.

audi12 wrote: »
    You have no idea if it will impact on prices fact house prices are going to fall in England and they may here also.

I think it's very unlikely, hopefully people pulling out will make it a bit less competitive so prices might not rise as fast do great for me as I will still buy.

Also as I said peope who have mortgage approval now would be very foolish not to use it, it may be far harder to get it in the future also. I think banks cutting back lending is much more likely than prices falling. How can prices fall in any meantingfull way when there is no supply?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

my point audi12 is not necessarily that there are going to rise. it is simply that there is a huge assumption being made that they are going to fall dramatically. the coming years will tell of course. in dublin for instance supply is short, and as such that it is rare is always going to be attractive.

Supply is short now but in two years time it will be different in the social housing side of things anyway.

I think it's very unlikely, hopefully people pulling out will make it a bit less competitive so prices might not rise as fast do great for me as I will still buy.

Also as I said peope who have mortgage approval now would be very foolish not to use it, it may be far harder to get it in the future also. I think banks cutting back lending is much more likely than prices falling. How can prices fall in any meantingfull way when there is no supply?

If its harder to get mortgages prices fall you saw what happened with the central bank rules came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't believe everything you read on the net (including this) and what is the big fear of negative equity.

Lest's say you buy a place for 200K and it drops 10% that's 20K, now how many years rent it that.

Lets say you are 30 and can get a 35 year mortgage, if you wait 5 years to buy then you will have higher monthly repayments.

Now look at Brexit, it's going to be at least 2 more like 3 years before they exit. How long do you want to wait.

How much are you spending on this house? What's the risk v cost if rent and impact of waiting?

If its harder to get mortgages prices fall you saw what happened with the central bank rules came in.

Prices are much higher now than when the central bank rules were introduced.

Also prices being lower aren't much good if you can't get a mortgage. Also even if prices drop they can't fall too much as they haven't risen to anything near the boom levels still. I'd much rather buy now than spend say two more years paying rent and then end up with house prices higher most likely, possible around the same or even if they fall its unlikely they will fall more than the two years rent and then maybe you can't get a mortgage anyway so are stuck renting even longer.

I think if you have approval now and can buy something you want that is affordable then buy it and don't be getting too hung up on the possibility of prices falling a few thousand in a few years time.

Prices are much higher now than when the central bank rules were introduced.

Also prices being lower aren't much good if you can't get a mortgage. Also even if prices drop they can't fall too much as they haven't risen to anything near the boom levels still. I'd much rather buy now than spend say two more years paying rent and then end up with house prices higher most likely, possible around the same or even if they fall its unlikely they will fall more than the two years rent and then maybe you can't get a mortgage anyway so are stuck renting even longer.

I think if you have approval now and can buy something you want that is affordable then buy it and don't be getting too hung up on the possibility of prices falling a few thousand in a few years time.

They have fallen outside Dublin in the last two months 0.2 per cent in March and 0.6 per cent in April house prices increases in Dublin has also slowed and is fragile.

They have fallen outside Dublin in the last two months 0.2 per cent in March and 0.6 per cent in April house prices increases in Dublin has also slowed and is fragile.

How many times are you going to push this lie?

Prices are rising every month in Cork and Galway, I'm following them closely and every time a new house goes up for sale similar to one recently sold the price is up and then most are going for over asking on top of that. you are living in dreamland if you think prices are falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Lots of people thought likewise OP in the recession thinking prices would fall and fall and sat on their hands and waited and waited and missed the boat and are now stuck in rentland hell...... simple really in life do what you need to do for your own cirvumstances don't be waiting on markets to rise and fall to influence a decision as markets do that every day.

How many times are you going to push this lie?

Prices are rising every month in Cork and Galway, I'm following them closely and every time a new house goes up for sale similar to one recently sold the price is up and then most are going for over asking on top of that. you are living in dreamland if you think prices are falling.

The price of homes in the rest of the country fell by 0.6% in April, the second monthly fall in a row.

A quote taken directly from the rte property section backing up the my home.ie and Irish times website. Tell me now im talking crap.

Thats a load of crap but i guess a clock is always right twice a day.

You dont believe me fair enough but you must be in denial if you dont believe them websites

There are 43 different aspects that can account for those statistics and i can spin each and every one to give you a positive or negative aspect of each one. a .2 decrease can happen for a myriad of reasons, the same with .6. the uncertainty of the housing market mean you could very well be right at some stage. for 10 years george lee shouted from the roof tops that there was going to be a property crisis and in 2008 he looked very smug.

now you understand about a 2 tier housing market in ireland right? if not, have a look.
    you also understand how the figures are collated? if not, again look them up.
    Lastly, do you have a crystal ball? if not, can you tell me how you are predicting the future? because even with a masters degree in economics, i wouldnt touch it with a barge poll, yet you seem to have it sussed.

even the temerity to think people are concerned about Brexit as an indicator beggars belief. It's like that phrase where people who wave miniature flags, shouldnt be allowed to have one unsupervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The best time to buy in recent years was when everyone was panicking about the Eurozone crisis.

Enjoy the wait Audi.

I am enjoying the wait im buying outside the main cities delighted I am watching prices fall each month strengthening my hand.

I am enjoying the wait im buying outside the main cities delighted I am watching prices fall each month strengthening my hand.

good god LOL come on, i want to hear this. what do you have your eye on. whats your price range. whats the area. whats an acceptable price. whats an acceptable drop. when is the point where audi12 says, yeah, thats right for me. prices wont go any lower. ill buy now.

Id never goad or encourage anyone to buy property in any market that i wouldnt do myself but it sounds like you are letting penny pinching get in the way of house buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A few points...

Negative equity doesn't matter a jot unless you're selling, your ability to service the debt is what counts, this is more dependent on your continued employment than future house prices.

If you do lose your job, you'll likely run down some of the deposit you have saved while you look for a new job after which you'll reset the clock on probation period (assuming it's not a fixed term contract role) and also need to go through the whole cycle of demonstrating savings to the bank etc... which will delay any opportunity to gain advantage from a depressed market as it will recover somewhat in line with the jobs market.

Interest rates are less likely to rise with the continued uncertainty over Brexit.

The last 'bust' has shown that the availability of credit will collapse quicker than house prices and rebound slower. The available stock through the bottom of the market was also very poor. If you're sitting on a pile of cash in a safe currency, you're all set to capitalise on rock bottom prices and a possible rebound but if you're dependent on credit, a bust or even a modest decline in prices is unlikely to do much for your purchasing power.

If you're buying in a location where you're reasonably confident of maintaining employment through a downturn, even if there are some job changes through it (a series of fixed term contracts will pay a mortgage just fine but they wouldn't be ideal in a situation where you're looking for one), and are happy that the house will meet your needs in the longer term, it would be foolish to simply walk away from a purchase you are in a position to finance today because of Brexit. Sure the price may fall but in all likelihood, your ability to finance it will fall too, you're gambling on which one will fall faster. In addition, in the job loss scenario, based on what's happened since the last bust I'd sooner be in mortgage arrears to the bank than rent arrears to a landlord.

If you have concerns about the likelihood of living in the house for a 10+ year duration or for your employment prospects in the area for a similar outlook, then you should be hesitant to proceed with a house purchase regardless of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I put an offer on a property but the seller has to get bank approval for the sale. I have been waiting a month so far and the auctioneer seems to think there will be a decision soon. The offer was more than the AMV and about 10k less than the auctioneer expected to get. Will Brexit in anyway affect the decision, on tenterhooks as it is and not knowing is driving me crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement