Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Fitzgerald retires

Options
2»

Comments

I've always thought of him as one of the best outside backs we have produced after BOD, but never got a free run to really prove it. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Even in the season just gone he had some superb performances. Even just Ulster in the SF he was top class, and that was two competitive games ago for Leinster. Really gutted at this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yet another player whose career has been cut short by injury. When is rugby going to address this glaring elephant in the room? Off the top of my head, that is four Irish players alone that have recently succumbed to injury before the age of thirty: Fitzgerald (neck), Jones (neck), Ferris (ankle), McLaughlin (concussions). That's not including Denis Leamy and the likes. Unfortunately, given his wretched injury record over the last couple of years, I fear SOB may be the next to call it a day.

Concussion has been a much argued issue within the game, but all things considered, it's becoming an increasingly physically savage game to such an extent that you would worry about your child's welfare were he/she to take it up.

Something has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think we'll see shorter seasons in the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Was really sad when I heard about it this morning. Awful for any player to be forced out of the game by injury but Luke just never seemed to catch a break. Like many have said, if he had remained injury free, he probably would have been up there with the greats of Irish rugby. It's sad but I'd imagine we will see more and more players retiring early over the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ah, crap :(

Immensely talented. He was very unfortunate with injuries.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Sad news. At least he got the chance to go the World Cup and make a real impact on the biggest stage v Argentina with his try and line break for the other try. Would have been a sporting travesty if he never got to go to one after missing out on 2007 and 2011.

Really exciting player to watch, always likely to skip out of tackle or two. Lovely step. Think he played some of his best rugby in the last 18 months after struggling to get back to his best form for a few years after the cruciate injury in 2009.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

How or when did he hurt his neck?

It was his knee that stopped him from going on tour to SA!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

Amazing player and so sad to hear the news.

If we had of won the game against Argentina he would have been more recognised for the unbelievable impact he had.

Such a shame

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How or when did he hurt his neck?

It was his knee that stopped him from going on tour to SA!

Pro12 final apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Really tough news, always carried himself so well even when things appeared to go against him with all his injuries. He won't be that last player to retire in his 20s with the way the game has gone. Best wishes Luke, "dont be sad because it's over, smile because it happened". You have the medals to prove it....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Even in the season just gone he had some superb performances. Even just Ulster in the SF he was top class, and that was two competitive games ago for Leinster. Really gutted at this news.

In the last few seasons hes been playing as well as he ever has, its not like hes had some gradual decline on the field leading to this, massive shame and massive loss for Leinster, one of our best players in any position

Stheno wrote: »
    Pro12 final apparently

Not sure what the cause, but his balance was in bits that game, he couldn't stay on his feet at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The best outside back Ireland has ever produced outside of BOD.

I know some people will disagree with that, but I don't care. :)

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not sure what the cause, but his balance was in bits that game, he couldn't stay on his feet at all.

I noticed he was struggling but thought that was cos he hurt his knee.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

.ak wrote: »

If it wasn't for injury we'd talking about him in those terms for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

.ak wrote: »

Absolutely agree.

A real shame he's done. But considering he's out at 28, that's not a bad haul of trophies and medals! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

He was excellent as a studio pundit on Sky Sports last weekend: articulate, knowledgeable, and comfortable in front of the camera.
    He certainly has a career there if he chooses to follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Absolutely gutted hearing this, what a **** week for sports. Up there with Hickie as an all time favorite player. Should have had a much better career, never got to see him get a proper run in the center.

Bollocks anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement