Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Fitzgerald retires

Options
  • 28-06-2016 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Deserves its own thread.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/15040.php#.V3IjiPkrLIU

Three Heineken Cup medals, two Pro12s, a Grand Slam, a Six Nations medal and a Lions test winger.

But still so much unfulfilled promise and a terrible waste.

Best of luck to him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Awh fnck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Oh ffs :( terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

Terrible news gutted for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Gutted...... so unlucky with injuries. Always gave it 100%. His tackle on Howlet against Munster (where he injured himself surprisingly) will always be a highlight for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Only 28. A huge talent too. Hope the future is bright for him.

Appreciate players while we have them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hope he has a good post rugby career.

Injury stopped him from fulfilling his potential. Would have been one of the greats otherwise. Will be a loss to Ireland and Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sad news and a tough decision for his age. Thanks for all your efforts over the years.

I was at Lansdowne Road for his debut (against Pacific Islands I think?) and I was always thought he was a fine player but...as will be mentioned time again....unlucky. Its a sign of how early he broke through that he is still only 28 while that seems a lifetime ago.

As a Munster fan I was sorry that the rumored move didn't happen a couple of years ago.

Best of luck to him in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Awful awful news. Poor guy. I hope he has a good life after rugby.

That's two excellent players being forced to retiire all too early - Jones and now FitzGerald.

Leinster without Reddan and Fitz next season - dammit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Good luck to him, a fine servant to province and country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

He's a great talent who didn't quite reach his potential due to injury. A great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

There was always a great buzz in the RDS when Luke would return after an absence - usually as a result of an injury......we'll really miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Sad day for irish rugby. Great player! Will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Friend of mine told me this at the weekend when he was home from Dublin. Had heard that Fitzgerald has had difficulty with feeling in one of his hands due to all the injuries.

Devastating for him. So much talent unfulfilled and would have near on 100 caps only for his injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Such a shame, poor lad was dogged with injury over the years, but was a joy when at full flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Says a lot that he is one of our most successful players ever and is still (rightly) considered an example of unfulfilled potential.

Good luck with the future and thanks for the memories.

Luuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkke

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Incredible hard lines, seems like he was around for years yet he's only 28, never got a consistent run due to injury.
    He seems happy enough with his decision though so all the best to him in his next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Gutted. A massive talent who never truly got going properly. It's not a huge surprise all the same. I hope he does well in future. Definitely a guy who speaks very well so certainly has a possible role as a co-commentator or analyst.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    Gutted. A massive talent who never truly got going properly. It's not a huge surprise all the same. I hope he does well in future. Definitely a guy who speaks very well so certainly has a possible role as a co-commentator or analyst.

He speaks Irish so I'm certain we'll see him on TG4 at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Crap news great player respected by all supporters imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If his health was at risk then he made the right choice. Neck injuries are not to be toyed with

I wish him all the best and he'll always have a career related to rugby if he wants to pursue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Real pity, best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Shame for him, 28 is no age to retire - was always great to watch whether you're a Leinster fan or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Holy moley that's bad news.

I was really looking forward to seeing him play 11 against the all-blacks in Nov.

Devastated. One of my favourite players to watch.

Not a decision taken lightly for sure, good luck in the future Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

One of the guys who would be my first name on a team sheet. Poor guy has been dogged with injury, sad to see him retire so early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He was commentating on sky at the weekend and came across well.

Shame to see him retire so young

• Subscribers Posts: 41,120 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

While probably inevitable due to his injury record, news of his retirement really saddened me this morning. Such potential that was only ever seen in short glimpses.

Still, he made up a vital part of arguably the best provincial back line ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

He speaks Irish so I'm certain we'll see him on TG4 at some stage.

I doubt it, he never played in the front row for Munster. :)

A good player who was dogged with injuries. His best season was 2008/2009
    Who knows how good he could have become with a constant run injury free.

Shame to see anyone have to retire due to injury. Just seems to be one of those unlucky players, who is very injury prone.
    Every time he made a comeback from injury, people were just expecting him to pick up a new injury.

He's better off retiring, and looking after himself, rather than risk more serious injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I think this was his best ever display, he was just phenomenal in this game.

Something in my eye...

Advertisement