Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish bonus points for applied maths?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

doubt away

I shall. You can get in touch with your extra marks for two Irish words.
    I won't hold my breath.
    I just emailed the Minister@education.gov.ie Fingers crossed lol:D:D

Good job. Draw attention to yourself. This gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

TMJM96 wrote: »
    You must first be registered to do the exam in Irish. This is done automatically in a Gaelcholáiste. Yes, you can ask for the paper in both Irish and English however the paper must be answered in Irish, fully. The English paper is provided in case a student doesn't know a particular word (especially in the lab sciences or practical subjects which sometimes have modern terms that may not be in the textbook)

Thank you. So basically a person can easily sit the exam in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

spurious wrote: »
    Good job. Draw attention to yourself. This gets better and better.

Yeah. Because I sent my exam number toenails and finger prints too. Clap clap

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I did the exam in irish. I didn't do it through irish but the paper i wrote has no english only irish. ffs

An bhfuil tú ar meisce?

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah. Because I sent my exam number toenails and finger prints too. Clap clap

And when the one paper in the country trying to pass itself off as through Irish (because of two Irish words on it) emerges, no-one will know who it belongs to.

You've also given information about the special scheduling of your exam, if further identifiers were needed. Don't apply for the secret service.

Clappitty clappitty clap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

YFlyer wrote: »
    Thank you. So basically a person can easily sit the exam in Irish.

No? Not at all?

Unless your school was an official Gaelcholáiste and you were registered with that school and were handed an Irish and English paper in your exam hall, you did the exam in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

so if i'd no irish at all could i register in advance to do the exam in irish then ask for an english paper during the exam and get the bonus points?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

donegal. wrote: »
    so if i'd no irish at all could i register in advance to do the exam in irish then ask for an english paper during the exam and get the bonus points?

How would you propose answering an exam in Irish if you had no Irish???

How would you propose answering an exam in Irish if you had no Irish???

the op used 3 words in his exam , i think i could learn that much.

someone earlier in this thread said you could ask for a paper in english during the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

donegal. wrote: »
    the op used 3 words in his exam , i think i could learn that much.

someone earlier in this thread said you could ask for a paper in english during the exam.

The OP is seriously deluded if he think three words on an exam where he didn't have an Irish version of the paper will count. Writing Ceist at the top of each question doesn't count.

Also how are you supposed to know what words to learn when you haven't seen the exam?

• Advertisement

oh i know the ops deluded.
    i'm just curious about the scenario where you're registered and have an irish paper.

surely the amount of irish words you'd need to learn to answer a maths paper would be very limited? possible all answers numerical?
    and if you'd both an english and irish version of the paper in the exam you could probably figure out labels for graphs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's 'troll' in Irish?

Níos lú turasóireachta amháin.

sorry i'm not trying to troll, just a quiet sat afternoon in work . I didn't know you could ask for an english version of the paper and was wondering if it could be used to your advantage.

its a nonsense thread anyway so i'm hardly derailing it

edit: "Unless you're registered in a Gaelscoil or taking all your exams in Irish, they won't give extra marks for 'answering through irish'."
    sorry i thought you could choose to do some exams in irish and some in english.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DownOT, do you know the Irish for "chancing your arm"? :D

Please don't be rude to people just because you're feeling defensive / know damn well you're trying to stand upright on quicksand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

DownOT, do you know the Irish for "chancing your arm"? :D

I can't say I do. Whatever I get in the end is what I get. I suppose there's very little I can do about it now.

Advertisement