Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKODA Granfondo Hibernia

Options
  • 22-06-2016 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

New sportive taking place in Clare on the August Bank Holiday Sunday, 31st July. The SKODA Granfondo Hibernia offers a choice of 150km and 100km routes starting and finishing in Ennis. Two great routes that start along the Shannon Estuary, out onto Loop Head Peninsula and the Wild Atlantic Way. Tour de Burren gives you the best of the North of the County, The Granfondo Hibernia gives you the best of the south of County Clare. This is the second event in new SKODA Celtic Cycling Series.

Full details are on www.granfondo.ie

You can follow it on Facebook on www.facebook.com/granfondohibernia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Cool. A bit like the etape hibernia that took place a couple of years ago.

But is that the same weekend as the SKT in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

bazermc wrote: »

No. But it is on the day after the Tour de Kilkenny.
    Sean Kelly is on August 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

It looks good, but is it a regular sportive as opposed to a Gran Fondo - it doesn't seem to have any of the normal features of a Gran Fondo or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What makes a grand fondo a grand fondo?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

That's the question!

I suppose a strict interpretation would be along it's origins in the Italian tradition.

Wikipedia defines it as: "The Gran Fondo is a type of long-distance road bicycle race, in which riders are individually chip timed and have the right of way at all intersections." But that's Wikipedia.

The UCI Gran Fondo World Series, is very much in line with this - timing chips, closed roads, results and prizes

Obviously the use of the term is getting diluted, like a lot of terminology - there seems to be no difference now in many cases between 'tour', 'etape', 'sportive', gran fondo', etc.

In fairness, this event doesn't carry the price tag of the traditional gran fondos either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Some Big Cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Just signed up for the 150km, need something to keep me motivated for the next few weeks, have gotten lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would like to do this but I'll be doing the Tour de Kilkenny the day before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anybody doing this one? Good route, and good swag in your 'event pack'

http://granfondo.ie/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

question the wisdom of this on what is probably the busiest bank holiday weekend of the year in a heavy tourist area. i've said it to lots of cyclists who aren't aware of the event and to local businesses and they don't know much about it either. its not like the ROK where for years everyone on the ROK route knows to avoid journeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

greenspurs wrote: »
    Anybody doing this one? Good route, and good swag in your 'event pack'

http://granfondo.ie/

I'm doing it. Did W200 a few weeks ago, and HOTW in West Clare last Saturday. West Clare is lovely cycling country.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I didn't think it looked like a great event goodie bag??

I didn't think it looked like a great event goodie bag??

If you register online before 15th July, you get a cap and vest....
    And a mug at the finish.... (never did understand medals , unles you are in the Top3)
    Not too bad for €40 ! Better than the usual bottle of water and a few leaflets and a biro ......

If you register online before 15th July, you get a cap and vest....
    And a mug at the finish.... (never did understand medals , unles you are in the Top3)
    Not too bad for €40 ! Better than the usual bottle of water and a few leaflets and a biro ......

I'd like party-poppers, a pack of Tayto, dracula-teeth, a bag of Haribos, and a party-blower (the kind that make a noise and unfurl as you blow them).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Looking very tempting. Is there anyone heading down to this from Dublin?

I'd like party-poppers, a pack of Tayto, dracula-teeth, a bag of Haribos, and a party-blower (the kind that make a noise and unfurl as you blow them).

Do your parents know that your on the internet ?

Do your parents know that your on the internet ?
    No. And I've hidden my tricycle so they can't confiscate it before the Gran Fondo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I think the profile for the 150km route on their website is backwards, pretty sure that big climb is at the end and not the beginning.

Here is the strava route https://www.strava.com/clubs/199567/group_events/106300

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cool. A bit like the etape hibernia that took place a couple of years ago.

Goes the other way and was closed roads. Really enjoyed the etape hibernia if a bit pricey. That said, love cycling in Clare and may try to get to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

the map is being edited as we speak - the climb (The Hand) features towards the end of the route so reverse the profile map to get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

the map is being edited as we speak - the climb (The Hand) features towards the end of the route so reverse the profile map to get the idea.

Cycled from Milltown to ennis this morning and road from the hand to ennis is a mess due to the wind farm construction and infrastructure that goes with it

Not complaining, it's still well rideable but has seen much better days.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mountclare4

We were cycling on it last Sunday and it was in good condition plus they had added new surfaces to parts of it so wouldn't have any worries about the surface.

I got a pair of sunglasses from Wiggle today, and there's a pack of Haribos in the box!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

A question for anyone who has cycled this route before (or even cycled over that lump at the end) - how bad is it?

This would be my greatest elevation gain in a cycle - previous was ~1300 over 100km. I'm more of a slow and steady / grind it out, than sprinting up hills. Are there any climbs that would be comparable? I have done Sally Gap (from Manor Kilbride), Wicklow Gap (from Laragh), Hollywood (from Wicklow Gap) and Howth (from Sutton).

Distance wise I should be okay. Have a few 200's under my belt, but on mainly flat roads. Maybe 400m gain over the 200.

It looks to be doable - it seems to be an easy enough gradient for a good few k, but the top bit looks a bit scary. Is it a constant 13km slog, or are there breaks in it at all?

I'm going to do the event anyway, but may settle for the 100km.

sullivlo wrote: »
    A question for anyone who has cycled this route before (or even cycled over that lump at the end) - how bad is it?

Its 210m elevation over 13km ......
    Gradient wouldn't be too bad, going by their strava course, 7 or 8% max, and around 4 or 5 % average.
    You will feel it at that stage of the day, but I wouldn't be too scared
    ( FAMOUS last words !!) :D

p.s I haven't cycled it before, so I could be Tooootally wrong !! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Its a doddle of a climb compared to Wicklow or Sally gap.
    If there is a good westerly you will fly up it.
    Its ramped with short flat/downhill stretches in between.

Its a doddle of a climb compared to Wicklow or Sally gap.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

Its 210m elevation over 13km ......
    Gradient wouldn't be too bad, going by their strava course, 7 or 8% max, and around 4 or 5 % average.
    You will feel it at that stage of the day, but I wouldn't be too scared
    ( FAMOUS last words !!) :D

p.s I haven't cycled it before, so I could be Tooootally wrong !! :P

210 gain over 13km would be about 1.6% or so average gradient I think (or thereabouts)
    Sure you'd hardly notice it I'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭dunworth1

signed up for the 150km

Advertisement