Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline gold - Favourite Liveline topics ever

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Sorry don't mean to go off topic...but does anyone know when Liveline started? tried looking online but could find no definite date, i know marion finuncane presented it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

signostic wrote: »
    a Hot day in Knock.....

balls and arse...

That is frikken hilarious - please tell me where it's from. I recognise the male caller from that show made in Mayo...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That is frikken hilarious - please tell me where it's from. I recognise the male caller from that show made in Mayo...

It's The Viper from Hardy Bucks.

philstar wrote: »
    Sorry don't mean to go off topic...but does anyone know when Liveline started? tried looking online but could find no definite date, i know marion finuncane presented it
    I searched the Irish Newspaper Archives, and the first mention of Liveline is in the radio-review column of the Irish Press, on the 12th of April 1986.

Another early article on Liveline, this time in the Irish Press in 1987, tells how a caller to Liveline complained about the programme and about RTÉ.

Did Marian take umbrage? Did she tell the caller to give up his ould guff? Did she promise to calm down if he calmed down? Not a bit of it. Marian offered to swap jobs for the day. She invited him in to man the studio, and she'd go and run his shop in Bray.

Unfortunately, there is no public access to the RTÉ radio archive. That episode would definitely be one for the Liveline Gold thread.

Then again, if anyone is looking for evidence that any old eejit can present Liveline, take a look at the incumbent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hyland x

Years ago, 2003 or 2004 I'd guess, a woman was on to complain that her teenage daughter had to wear a sports bikini as her uniform in a lifeguard academy in florida. She went on to say her daughter had a bit of extra weight on her hips and stomach and didn't look well in the bikini.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

My favourite was the prisoner who rang from his cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Donal55 wrote: »
    My favourite was the prisoner who rang from his cell.

He was killed shortly afterwards, him being on the radio meant all the other phones that prisoners had were confiscated in a crackdown. Duffy has blood on his hands for taking the call on air.
    He phoned 'Liveline' on RTE to abuse the respected and courageous crime journalist Paul Williams, f*****g him from a height from his cell in the supposedly high-security Portlaoise jail.

As a result, embarrassed prison authorities realised they had been caught with their pants down in the most public way possible, and raided the prisoners little caches of contraband.

The contraband was not a few fags, not a 'Porridge' style secret box of biccies. It included more than 1,300 mobile phones in the hands of criminals who were supposedly locked away from society.

Those phones were so important to their "owners" that it seems a contract was put out on John Daly, who had his head blown off as he sat in a taxi with five other people.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/daly-signed-his-death-warrant-live-on-the-radio-26327771.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

He was killed shortly afterwards, him being on the radio meant all the other phones that prisoners had were confiscated in a crackdown. Duffy has blood on his hands for taking the call on air.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/daly-signed-his-death-warrant-live-on-the-radio-26327771.html

He who lives by the phone dies by the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Teenager with excema and his mother online taking about applying his topical medicine and "creaming" him. Was unintentionally hilarious.

Nothing to do with Joe according to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I remember ringing in that day to tell Joe that he should hang up on Daly immediately as he was helping the convict to break the law and was an accessory to that crime as well as possibly committing a crime himself by allowing the convict access to the airwaves to communicate with other criminals.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I remember ringing in that day to tell Joe that he should hang up on Daly immediately as he was helping the convict to break the law and was an accessory to that crime as well as possibly committing a crime himself by allowing the convict access to the airwaves to communicate with other criminals.

Don't you be givin' me any of yer auld guff.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Today's episode: Joan v Keith Barry wasn't bad either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Don't think todays will be beaten this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The priest and the Ginger festival orgies.

(I cannot be accurate about anything on JD, but something like that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

It was F... this, F... that, F... you all from a women who doesnt like that type of language.

The first time she said it you could hear Joe nearly falling off his chair

Do you remember the auld fella who had never missed giving blood for about 20 years but said he'd never do it again since they stopped providing bottles of Guiness? he claimed that when he told them at the centre that he wouldn't be coming back of of principle, they were upset & crying because he'd be greatly missed. He sure thought a lot of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Brilliant - that's the soundtrack to tonight's washing up sorted - thank you!!

Well today's is definitely another contender - Yew and his son arguing about the merits of being buried (without a coffin I might add in the home garden, along with the mother who is already there)

• Advertisement

Amberjack wrote: »
    Well today's is definitely another contender
    Meh, you need to look harder, like this one. Have fun
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=liveline&title=1&forum=613

This from 2006 was gas
    Joe Duffy refereed a three-way conversation between a mother, her 16-year-old daughter and the 37-year-old man she's run away again to live with. The girl, Chloe, was adamant she wouldn't return home. The man, Martin, who has children of his own, including a son the same age as Chloe, admitted he was in a relationship with her but maintained there was "no sex involved". http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/stop-acting-like-a-social-worker-joe-26386606.html

Missed that one, sounds like a good one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

19/05/17 show had ?ine trying to help a 61 year old homeless Marie and using Lahvlahn to scream, shout, misinform and apologise for the way she was getting her message across.
    Hosted by PBH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭thesandeman

After listening to the last two days I now submit my nomination for Two Seventeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I always enjoyed the Tom the Con episodes - it was like a real time crime drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

After listening to the last two days I now submit my nomination for Two Seventeen.

Her accent is disgusting.

Loads more here including some transcripts
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/joe-duffy/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Loads more here including some transcripts
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/joe-duffy/

Holy **** just read the transcripts for first time. The clown was fed these questions from p r agency. So obvious now. Joe the monkey not the organ grinder. Lol wow. Man of the the people indeed the only hard-hitting fateens can do is on his...company... rte... the taxpayers credit card in Samsung la Octravian

• Advertisement

Liveline discusses masturbation, drunk-driving, gay marriage & Fr Kevitt of Alive magazine 11/04/16
    https://www.joe.ie/life-style/twitter-goes-into-meltdown-as-joe-duffy-discusses-masturbation-drunk-driving-and-gay-marriage-on-liveline-539223

Advertisement