Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! DCG 2016

Options
  • 21-06-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I was just wondering what people think of using those thin pens for showing information? Are we suppose to use them of just pencils?
    Any tips or pieces of advice before we head in?
    And the main question....... Tape or Clips :D:D
    i'm tape all the way for long questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

I was just wondering what people think of using those thin pens for showing information? Are we suppose to use them of just pencils?
    Any tips or pieces of advice before we head in?
    And the main question....... Tape or Clips :D:D
    i'm tape all the way for long questions

I always use thin coloured pen to highlight the main step or line or something in the q, our teacher was a corrector a few years ago and said that it always made them look good and stand out from the majority! And Tape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

There guidelines on the correct thickness of line, but drawing extra stuff with a pen will warrant no extra marks, just waste the sparse amount of time you'll have in the exam

Hoping no interpenetration comes up solely due to time constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TomDelahunt

Do you think its likely? Tbh i like them but as you said the time is hard to stick to and get full marks!
    What options you all doing? Our teacher wasn't good with the options so i'm stuck to Roof geometry & Assemblies (hopefully it will be a nice one to wrap my head around) then road geometry as a last resource!

Do you think its likely? Tbh i like them but as you said the time is hard to stick to and get full marks!
    What options you all doing? Our teacher wasn't good with the options so i'm stuck to Roof geometry & Assemblies (hopefully it will be a nice one to wrap my head around) then road geometry as a last resource!

I'd give it fifty fifty for inter, they're easy but timing is tough. One surface at a time, no matter what the object is.

Assembly and linkage/cams, linkages and canes are so easy.

Really wish our teacher went through them! He proper refused to do them we made him let us do assemblies, dont even ask about structural forms..... useless :D

• Advertisement

Really wish our teacher went through them! He proper refused to do them we made him let us do assemblies, dont even ask about structural forms..... useless :D

At least you only need to learn two haha

Just about have two i like! :D Be grandddd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Pretty confident about this exam just need to hope though we get proper desks, t-squares and just hand us all four sheets at the start because they always screw us up in that area every time. Why only give us two (the supervisor for the JC did that) then we had to wait for 5-10 minutes until she actually bothered to hand us the next two.

Pretty confident about this exam just need to hope though we get proper desks, t-squares and just hand us all four sheets at the start because they always screw us up in that area every time. Why only give us two (the supervisor for the JC did that) then we had to wait for 5-10 minutes until she actually bothered to hand us the next two.

Oh yeah the Supervisor i now have is quiet slow to act, in Accounting i asked for the lined booklet and he ligit took like 5 minutes to get it back to me, luckily i was able to work on but anytime i asked for small booklets he took his fair time! :D Think i'm going to bring in some of my own equipment to save me from getting a dodgy T-square/setsquares or adjustable (even though mine is beveled
    :mad: On the single desks it will be a pain too... brilliant :confused:

Oh yeah the Supervisor i now have is quiet slow to act, in Accounting i asked for the lined booklet and he ligit took like 5 minutes to get it back to me, luckily i was able to work on but anytime i asked for small booklets he took his fair time! :D Think i'm going to bring in some of my own equipment to save me from getting a dodgy T-square/setsquares or adjustable (even though mine is beveled

Were doing ours in a separate exam centre with adjustable tables with every possible bit if equipment possible, circle stencils and all haha. A2 paper all the way.

I'm very confident I'll get an A1 anyways

• Advertisement

I have everything equipment wise just except the t-square. I just could never be bothered buying one when there's about 60 odd of them in the school.

The JC TG exam got the drawing tables too so hopefully they put us in wherever they are or let us take them out into the exam centre. I'll head in 30mins before hand just to make sure I get everything. If I have to draw on a flat table I won't mind since I do that at home anyway.

Jays lucky for some! the circles come handy for assemblies alright! those damn 3mm & 5mm fillets! :P

The JC TG exam got the drawing tables too so hopefully they put us in wherever they are or let us take them out into the exam centre. I'll head in 30mins before hand just to make sure I get everything. If I have to draw on a flat table I won't mind since I do that at home anyway.

May look into this in our exam center cheers!

Jays lucky for some! the circles come handy for assemblies alright! those damn 3mm & 5mm fillets! :P

They save a lot of time, cams with roller followers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

adam240610 wrote: »
    There guidelines on the correct thickness of line

What are the guidelines do you know?

ella1998 wrote: »
    What are the guidelines do you know?

Light lines for constructions, dotted Ines for hidden details, heavy for outlines and main parts. Its meant to be a certain thickness but that is impossible to check and do accurately.

Given the fact both Accounting and Physics weren't really that nice in terms of predictability and lack of odd/new concepts I'm preparing for another odd exam today. I've just about finished running through all the core topics and will spend the next hour and a bit on roads and stuff. Hopefully no surprises on the roads question.

That was a bit of an unusual paper if I do say so

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brian_R

I was rushing to finish my last question and by accident did it on the back of a page, I wrote a note on the front side saying the question was on the back and that I forgot whole rushing. They'll still mark it won't they?

Brian_R wrote: »
    I was rushing to finish my last question and by accident did it on the back of a page, I wrote a note on the front side saying the question was on the back and that I forgot whole rushing. They'll still mark it won't they?

Of course they will.

Archimedian spiral for dynamic mechanisms was unusual but lovely.
    Did B 1 B2 C4 and C5
    Was v happy with all but B1, couldn't get f on that

• Advertisement

What was even B3 about. Also no roads but a pool?!?!? A pool.... to be fair the pool was actually a road in disguise but the last part I didn't understand, how are steps meant to be equal in height? Wouldn't being equal make them not steps?

Did B1, B2, C1 and C2. B1 was lovely I think I got everything on it and preparing for C3 type questions helped me do f. B2 was ok except the very last part. C1 got about 70% of the question and unsure about the rest. C2 got pretty much everything. Overall way better than my mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

What was even B3 about. Also no roads but a pool?!?!? A pool.... to be fair the pool was actually a road in disguise but the last part I didn't understand, how are steps meant to be equal in height? Wouldn't being equal make them not steps?.

I'm presuming when they equal height they don't mean equal altitude. So, I said they were 4 -> 4.2 -> 4.4 -> 4.6 -> 4.8.

Thought it was a lovely paper overall. Only part I didn't get was the last part of B-2, wouldn't click with me, everything else went great though.

Big step up from the pre which was half impossible. (At least the pre paper we got!)

iFergal wrote: »
    I'm presuming when they equal height they don't mean equal altitude. So, I said they were 4 -> 4.2 -> 4.4 -> 4.6 -> 4.8.

Thought it was a lovely paper overall. Only part I didn't get was the last part of B-2, wouldn't click with me, everything else went great though.

Big step up from the pre which was half impossible. (At least the pre paper we got!)

I've just realised now I thought of it completely the wrong way. Oh well I had most of the lines drawn in.

Yeah B2 last's bit was the most difficult part of the paper I came across.

I've just realised now I thought of it completely the wrong way. Oh well I had most of the lines drawn in.

Yeah B2 last's bit was the most difficult part of the paper I came across.

Last parts of questions aren't usually worth much anyway. Particularly that last part in B2 due to the bell curve.

Last parts of questions aren't usually worth much anyway. Particularly that last part in B2 due to the bell curve.

I thought last part of B 1 was hard and B 2 was easy haha, yeah its only gonna be worth like five marks

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Roads was grand, or pools I should say ��. Liked that B1 question too. The last bits of B2 and C2 were really difficult, I hadn't a clue. Short questions were mostly fine too so hopefully a good grade

adam240610 wrote: »
    I thought last part of B 1 was hard and B 2 was easy haha, yeah its only gonna be worth like five marks

I found B1 very easy, but just because we have done an awful lot of surface geometry for Section C (I was delighted when I saw it in B xD). Very much a case of strengths and weaknesses. :P

I found B1 very easy, but just because we have done an awful lot of surface geometry for Section C (I was delighted when I saw it in B xD). Very much a case of strengths and weaknesses. :P

We focused on perspective axonometric interpenetration for B and none came up haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

I had a question . You know in qB2 see the way the elliptical plan was 15mm below the XY line. I didn't see it and just drew it random 40 mm below it but the whole plan elevation end view came out correctly . How many marks do you think i lost because of this?😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 UN

I had a question . You know in qB2 see the way the elliptical plan was 15mm below the XY line. I didn't see it and just drew it random 40 mm below it but the whole plan elevation end view came out correctly . How many marks do you think i lost because of this?😯
    Not much I'd say 3, but I've never seen them specify where your plan had to be, luckily I noticed it before I drew too much and rubbed it out

Advertisement