Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Marathon 2016 *NO NUMBER SWAPS/SALES/TRANSFERS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

I'm in. It's all about this one for me this year. Going to aim for that landmark sub 2:58 time. Just feathering the throttle at the moment before the foot hits the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm in. Well I will be once I get around to registering! I did DCM in 2014 in 4:33, but that was after very little training so I'm hoping with a proper plan to go sub 4 this time. I did the race series half last September in 1:49. Unfortunately I've had lots of ups and downs since then and haven't been too consistent, but I'm back on track now and looking forward to starting a plan.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the "meno plan" as a few others on here have had success with it for a second marathon. It's a pity meno isn't here any more to give advice. For anyone who has used it, can I ask about the very first session? 6-10 X 800m (3-5 min recovery). There is a comment on the plan (think it may have been added by MurphD) "this is a tough session for week 1, so maybe not good for someone with low base milage". Any suggestions for an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice one getting this started!

I think 3:15 is a realistic but aggressive goal for me, obviously depending on a load of things going right over the summer and on the day. Plan wise, I was intending to loosely follow the meno plan for session inspiration, extending the prescribed milage by a good bit, extending the long runs, etc. maybe peaking at around 70 miles per week.

Intermediate goals for the summer are progressively less aggressive: give sub-40 a crack at the Fingal 10k (things would have to go very, very well on the day), sub-1:07:30 at the Frank Duffy and <1:30 at the Dublin Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

chickey2 wrote: »
    I'm in. Well I will be once I get around to registering! I did DCM in 2014 in 4:33, but that was after very little training so I'm hoping with a proper plan to go sub 4 this time. I did the race series half last September in 1:49. Unfortunately I've had lots of ups and downs since then and haven't been too consistent, but I'm back on track now and looking forward to starting a plan.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the "meno plan" as a few others on here have had success with it for a second marathon. It's a pity meno isn't here any more to give advice. For anyone who has used it, can I ask about the very first session? 6-10 X 800m (3-5 min recovery). There is a comment on the plan (think it may have been added by MurphD) "this is a tough session for week 1, so maybe not good for someone with low base milage". Any suggestions for an alternative?
    Just do week 2 progression run week 1 & 2. That what I was advised, think
    That's what others did too. Best if luck

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi folks, planning to run DCM 2016. Ran first ever marathon in 2015 but it was a disaster 4.25. Had ran half in 1hr 36 a month before. still don't know exactly what went wrong. had a virus a few days before event so i blamed that. Gave up running after DCM 2015 and only back jogging past two weeks.

From here on positive thinking only, will follow runkeEper sub 3.45 mainly because it is only 4 workouts a week and i work long hours. So let's GO...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Hi. First time poster - long time lurker... All set to start training from next week. This will be my 3rd time around having done 2014 and 2015. Going for a more realistic time this year of around 4:10-4:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I'm in. Put a lot of training in for 2014. My half marathon pb still stands at 1:47 for that year in the Phoenix park. However I struggled a lot running uphill by UCD towards the wall. Want to do it without slowing too much there. Hoping to work on interval this time rather than just distance. Build strength in the legs. This'll be my third, having completed Cork one earlier this month. Hoping for a third consecutive pb :)

Looking to cut it by a bit more than two minutes this time though! Going to aim for under 4. Is a half an hour (ish) too optimistic? Here we go anyway.

Good luck everyone taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Probably in too. Third time lucky this year, hopefully. :) Haven't raced Dublin since 2013 so will be interesting (for me) either way.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Probably in too. Third time lucky this year, hopefully. :) Haven't raced Dunlin since 2013 so will be interesting either way.

Does that mean we'll have unseasonaly warm weather on October 30th?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hope so. I've acclimatised. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Havent raced Dublin since 2013 either and sadly wont this year again as im Berlin bound. Giving strong consideration to jogging around on the day and soaking it in as its a special race. Someome talk me out of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Havent raced Dublin since 2013 either and sadly wont this year again as im Berlin bound. Giving strong consideration to jogging around on the day and soaking it in as its a special race. Someome talk me out of it!!

Go for it!:D

Only live once

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Go on you know you want to.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

I signed up yesterday :eek:
    I'm on week 8 of the David Carrie plan from the Irish Runner magazine.
    DCM will hopefully be my first marathon, I've done a few halves, most recently Connemara, so it seemed the next logical step :D
    I don't have a planned time but currently training to run with the 4:40 pacer - the pace suits my LSR so maybe I'll be able to keep up on the day?!
    Cross-training wise, my physio has recommended dropping the gym and just doing pilates once a week, with either a spinning class or a swim in lieu of a fifth day of running if the legs are tired. Is this enough? I thought I'd need a lot more cross training :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Why not? 4 weeks between them I think so if you handle your recovery ok you will be able to run Dublin at much the same level as Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Singer wrote: »
    Nice one getting this started!

I think 3:15 is a realistic but aggressive goal for me, obviously depending on a load of things going right over the summer and on the day. Plan wise, I was intending to loosely follow the meno plan for session inspiration, extending the prescribed milage by a good bit, extending the long runs, etc. maybe peaking at around 70 miles per week.

Intermediate goals for the summer are progressively less aggressive: give sub-40 a crack at the Fingal 10k (things would have to go very, very well on the day), sub-1:07:30 at the Frank Duffy and <1:30 at the Dublin Half.

That's great, now I have a pacer:D.

Hoping for a sub 3:15. I will use the same plan as last year which was P&D 12 week up to 55mpw and that got me over the line in 3:18:30. The target time is subject to review depending on how training progresses:).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Why not? 4 weeks between them I think so if you handle your recovery ok you will be able to run Dublin at much the same level as Berlin.

I plan to do both also, once recovery is ok and not too much beer drank after Berlin, Dublin should be ok.. its 5 weeks between them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I'm signed up but injured at the moment. Hoping that I have enough base to put in a decent training block but will be reviewing my training approach for this one. Goal will be just to make the start line and enjoy the event and maybe aim for the 4hr mark. Will save chasing 3.2X for the Springtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Just signed up!

I ran it a few years ago. Hoping to knock nearly an hour off my time...

From a disastrous 5.15 to a respectable 4.20.

I ran a 2.05 half last month so it's looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Very tempted to sign up. To make up for a disaster of a Cork Marathon where i had to stop at the 20 mile mark due to illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

All going to plan, I'm in too. Aiming for sub 3.50 but will see how training goes in the lead up.

Even if i cant race it, i will probably run it anyway as i haven't done Dublin since 2012!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

Have just signed up to DCM '16 and can't wait for it. Third time running it and it's one of my favourite races of the year. Atmosphere and support along the course really does give me a lift. Slowly building up to it from this week after a very solid base building period. Best of luck to all who decide to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I see it's on Sunday this year [maybe it has been last few years, not done it in a couple of years]. That's good, waiting to Monday was always a pain in the arse.

I have not really ran consistently since the misery that was the Conn marathon. I think I'm gonna enter, and just have something to focus training on, and get out on some long runs.

I want to run with a group, will find myself a novice or slow group I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

I'm strongly considering signing up for Dublin '16. Like a few here I've not run it since 2013, my first marathon.

I was going well that day until I hit mile 20, when my left hamstring siezed up like a tightened bow (a simple act of stepping up onto the path to pass a group).
    No amount of stretching or massaging could work it out so I just had to grimace and bear it for the last 6. I was so glad to finish but gutted, as I was on track for a 3hr40min time but finished in 4hr08min. The supporters that day were immense, don't think I would have got through the last leg without them.

Since then I've done a few half marathons here and there but not taken the plunge to undertake another full. The last six months I've been concentrating on short distance, mostly 5ks with a few 10ks thrown in so I feel the base fitness is there for an ambitious retry.... maybe 3hr20min!!!

While writing this I've just convinced myself to sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

I'm in!

Signed up on Sunday. I complete my first marathon this spring in Manchester and have had my eye on Dublin since!

Jake1970 I will be doing the P&D plan also, it seemed to work out well for me earlier in the year in terms of getting the training done, and the race day went well too.

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey,

Way back when, Jan like, when I did the first week I was advised not to do the 800 so did this instead:
    session; progression run 8.1 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I was going well that day until I hit mile 20, when my left hamstring siezed up like a tightened bow (a simple act of stepping up onto the path to pass a group).
    No amount of stretching or massaging could work it out so I just had to grimace and bear it for the last 6. I was so glad to finish but gutted, as I was on track for a 3hr40min time but finished in 4hr08min. The supporters that day were immense, don't think I would have got through the last leg without them.

That has put the kybosh on both my marathons to date

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Paddy1234

Derco wrote: »

That has put the kybosh on both my marathons to date
    Me too - it was the overpass at UCD that caught me out jumped up on path and hamstring gone from there home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yup, as KennyG and A have said just do the week 2 run twice. Am very very very very jealous :D will be watching your progress with much interest indeed although I should probably stay the hell outta this thread :p

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    yup, as KennyG and A have said just do the week 2 run twice. Am very very very very jealous :D will be watching your progress with much interest indeed although I should probably stay the hell outta this thread :p

Thanks guys. I'll probably have other questions as I go on do please don't stay away Firedance!

Had a bad run yesterday, just felt slow and heavy and was thinking what an awful idea it is to do a marathon. I'll just chalk it down as a bad one and hopefully I'll feel better on tomorrow's run!

Advertisement