Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Jesus that's tough, sorry to hear that....

I'd be raging......

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Jesus that's tough, sorry to hear that....

I'd be raging......
    Thanks. Thankfully Chicago have deferred my entry to next year so all not lost. Compensation and flight refund still won't cover the stress and turmoil they caused. Safe to say I won't be travelling with Aer Lingus next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

It’s very warm here in Holland this weekend lads, but promised to cool down next week as week goes on.

If all goes well, hopefully.. id be up to meet for a pint after? I'm staying until Monday anyway. Will be around after if you any of you guys fancy a few Heineken.. or two. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ISOP wrote: »
    If all goes well, hopefully.. id be up to meet for a pint after? I'm staying until Monday anyway. Will be around after if you any of you guys fancy a few Heineken.. or two. .

im about - anyone have any recommendations on where is good to go?

• Advertisement

O'Reilly's just off dam square looks a good central location if anyone is up for it, seems convenient enough if everyone is staying in central Amsterdam?

O'Reilly's just off dam square looks a good central location if anyone is up for it, seems convenient enough if everyone is staying in central Amsterdam?

I’m staying closer to the start of the race but can get a tram there - it will be great to experience some local establishment!

Any recommendations for food the night before?

I have eaten here before, it is very good, maybe not so good if you are a vegetarian..

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d2066520-Reviews-De_Nachtwacht-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

I have eaten here before, it is very good, maybe not so good if you are a vegetarian..

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d2066520-Reviews-De_Nachtwacht-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Looks lovely - going with a steak the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I’m probably going with the tried and trusted pizza delivery the night before! Minimal walking and maximal carbs.

I’m not sure what the plans are yet for the aftermath. We plan on hanging around outside the Olympic Stadium for a while if the weather is nice! If I still know my own name by evening I might be able to join ye somewhere. Staying about 5 minutes walk from Centraal Station.

Starting to get very very real now. Weather looks ok at the moment but temperatures seem to be creeping upwards every time I check!

• Advertisement

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I’m probably going with the tried and trusted pizza delivery the night before! Minimal walking and maximal carbs.

I’m not sure what the plans are yet for the aftermath. We plan on hanging around outside the Olympic Stadium for a while if the weather is nice! If I still know my own name by evening I might be able to join ye somewhere. Staying about 5 minutes walk from Centraal Station.

Starting to get very very real now. Weather looks ok at the moment but temperatures seem to be creeping upwards every time I check!

Pizza, Steak? I’ve been doing the whole carb loading thing wrong, eating pasta like an idiot!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Pizza, Steak? I’ve been doing the whole carb loading thing wrong, eating pasta like an idiot!

Pizza probably isn’t the best thing to be eating the night before to be fair but I find it just sits easier in the stomach than pasta the following day. Will be trying to shove the good carbs into the system all this week so won’t be relying on the pizza all going well!

Pizza probably isn’t the best thing to be eating the night before to be fair but I find it just sits easier in the stomach than pasta the following day. Will be trying to shove the good carbs into the system all this week so won’t be relying on the pizza all going well!

What ever works for you!

Weather seems to be about 12 for the morning and dry, that’d be perfect.

You planning to stay near the stadium and soak up the atmosphere or stay near the stadium, have a beer and soak up the atmosphere?

I plan on soaking up quite a few beers (not just A beer!) in the vicinity of the stadium and then try and roll myself onto a Metro heading in the direction of town before it’s too late!

48 hours to go!

48 hours to go!

Considerably cooler here in Holland to the past two mornings & looking like it will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

My flight is at 6.15am in the morning. What in the name of jebus was I thinking when I booked that!!!

My flight is at 6.15am in the morning. What in the name of jebus was I thinking when I booked that!!!

Ouch, I’m on the 850, slightly more social, going to head straight to expo after landing and get it out of the way.

Same! 7.20am. At least I’ve the expo done and feet up by 2/3pm tomorrow afternoon...

• Advertisement

Same! 7.20am. At least I’ve the expo done and feet up by 2/3pm tomorrow afternoon...

You guys getting the bus to the expo or jumping in a taxi?

You guys getting the bus to the expo or jumping in a taxi?

I’m going on the way in from the airport. The train is pretty straightforward. You can buy your ticket in Schiphol Airport and get the train to Amsterdam Zuid station. Its walking distance from there. You can get tram or metro back into town then afterwards. We bought a multi day travel pass last year and it was well worth it if you’re going to be using public transport a bit on the day of the race and travelling home.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Considerably cooler here in Holland to the past two mornings & looking like it will stay that way.

What’s it like around noon/ 1ish though??

I’m going on the way in from the airport. The train is pretty straightforward. You can buy your ticket in Schiphol Airport and get the train to Amsterdam Zuid station. Its walking distance from there. You can get tram or metro back into town then afterwards. We bought a multi day travel pass last year and it was well worth it if you’re going to be using public transport a bit on the day of the race and travelling home.

Cheers - that’s my plan too, hit the expo about noon I’d say and then tram to hotel. The pass will be handy alright.

Last long runs done? How is everyone doing - happy, healthy and positive I hope :)

What time we all going for? If I decide to reach I will go for Sub-4, but know in my heart of hearts I dont have enuf miles in the legs for it - if the 4.10 or 4.20 group on day looks fun or interesting I might well just go with them and enjoy it a bit more!

Set your target yet?

Today it was about 15 degrees & sunny. Not overly warm with humidity roughly in the 60’s.

Today it was about 15 degrees & sunny. Not overly warm with humidity roughly in the 60’s.

Are you running yourself?

Are you running yourself?

No pacing Dublin the following week, ran Köln two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

No pacing Dublin the following week, ran Köln two weeks ago.

You could pace the few of us tomorrow aiming for sub-4!

Advertisement