Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone running this in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

had to change my running plans and just entered this for 2018 - anyone else doing it..

Now to sort flights and hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I’m in this year for the full. Have done the half a couple of times before so know my way around reasonably well which takes some of the pressure off. Just booked flights last night so all good to go. Just have to deal with about the remaining 7 weeks of training now...

I’m in too - flying in Saturday to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

http://www.beertemple.nl/mobile/

Give this place a visit after if ye like yer beer.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    http://www.beertemple.nl/mobile/

Give this place a visit after if ye like yer beer.

That’s my Sunday afternoon sorted.

Where yis staying? I am only staying the one night, so have somewhere near the Olympic Stadium, but on the airport side [which would be crap if going on the beer after the race, but grand for here!]

Staying a few nights so staying on a houseboat near enough the city centre. Have done this on previous occasions too and it’s a little on the expensive side but well worth it.
    The public transport (trams especially) is excellent though so you wont have any bother getting around no matter where you’re staying.

How is the training going?

Did a 1:47 Half last week, feeling good for 3:59:59,

With a 1.47 half you should be all set finish with a time starting with the number 3 :D

I got around just under 2 hours, but really held back during the half [and had done 5 very easy miles before hand].

Will decide on the morning, but think sub-4 is a stretch. In 4 previous marathons I have gone for "stretch goals" and missed them, and in three of them have missed them by a lot after blowing up

So will see if 4.10 or 4.20 group are more fun :P [or be insane on the morning and go sub-4 knowing last hour will be miserable!!!]

• Advertisement

With a 1.47 half you should be all set finish with a time starting with the number 3 :D

I got around just under 2 hours, but really held back during the half [and had done 5 very easy miles before hand].

Will decide on the morning, but think sub-4 is a stretch. In 4 previous marathons I have gone for "stretch goals" and missed them, and in three of them have missed them by a lot after blowing up

So will see if 4.10 or 4.20 group are more fun :P [or be insane on the morning and go sub-4 knowing last hour will be miserable!!!]

This is my 4th sub 4 attempt so you never know.

The last hour is always miserable, especially when it turns into the last 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How is the training going?

Did a 1:47 Half last week, feeling good for 3:59:59,

I ran a 1:45 on Sunday, hopping for a sub 4 in Amsterdam, got Chicago on Sunday first though..

ISOP wrote: »
    I ran a 1:45 on Sunday, hopping for a sub 4 in Amsterdam, got Chicago on Sunday first though..

What’s the goal for Chicago?

What’s the goal for Chicago?
    03:59:59 :)

03:59:59 :)

Is it two cracks at it or is the plan to ease off in Amsterdam if you do it in Chicago?

The email from the organizers today tells me I’m in the pink wave, so I better go for 3:29:59. It’ll be touch and go, but I’ll have a right good cut off it. No better city to be in for sorrows to be drowned (or various other methods!)

JohnDozer wrote: »
    The email from the organizers today tells me I’m in the pink wave, so I better go for 3:29:59. It’ll be touch and go, but I’ll have a right good cut off it. No better city to be in for sorrows to be drowned (or various other methods!)

Planning to drown your sorrows is a negative approach - no better city to celebrate!

Is it two cracks at it or is the plan to ease off in Amsterdam if you do it in Chicago?
    I'll have two cracks at it, volume always works for me for some reason, I recover very quickly

Yea, I am in Orange - which is the block from 3.30.01 to 4 hours..
    https://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/start-finish-tcs-amsterdam-marathon-2/

Yea, I am in Orange - which is the block from 3.30.01 to 4 hours..
    https://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/start-finish-tcs-amsterdam-marathon-2/

Me too, sub 4, a nap and a few pints will make for a cracking day!

Anyone identified a spot for pasta the night before?

• Advertisement

We could swap details and meetup the night before and get some food and some chat - maybe go to expo? I am flying in Saturday late morning and leave the Sunday night, on my own etc - not about long at all.

...in the shower after the run this morning it only dawned on me how I will shower after the run, might ask the hotel if I could do it there. They are normally ok about it [if the hotel has free space]

We could swap details and meetup the night before and get some food and some chat - maybe go to expo? I am flying in Saturday late morning and leave the Sunday night, on my own etc - not about long at all.

...in the shower after the run this morning it only dawned on me how I will shower after the run, might ask the hotel if I could do it there. They are normally ok about it [if the hotel has free space]

I think there is showers in the building where the expo is. Not very far at all from the finish. Haven’t used them myself but pretty sure I’ve seen that written somewhere

Sounds good, what flight are you on? There is a pasta party at the expo in the evening, could be a fall back option but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of options.

Last long runs done? How is everyone doing - happy, healthy and positive I hope :)

What time we all going for? If I decide to reach I will go for Sub-4, but know in my heart of hearts I dont have enuf miles in the legs for it - if the 4.10 or 4.20 group on day looks fun or interesting I might well just go with them and enjoy it a bit more!

Last long runs done? How is everyone doing - happy, healthy and positive I hope :)

What time we all going for? If I decide to reach I will go for Sub-4, but know in my heart of hearts I dont have enuf miles in the legs for it - if the 4.10 or 4.20 group on day looks fun or interesting I might well just go with them and enjoy it a bit more!

There is no doubt in my mind you’ll be following the sub 4 guys on the day!

How is the taper going for everyone? Any last minute goal changes?

JohnDozer - how did Chicago go?

Taper is doing what taper normally does!! Niggles everywhere and leaking fitness by the minute :-) Feeling pretty good though despite everything. Hearing of lots of people I know not making the DCM startline so feeling pretty thankful that at present I’m lining up next weekend.

Current weather prediction looks good for the day. Nice and cool. Was very very warm for the half last year.

Chicago wasn’t me... someone else...

How’s everyone else doing?

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Taper is doing what taper normally does!! Niggles everywhere and leaking fitness by the minute :-) Feeling pretty good though despite everything. Hearing of lots of people I know not making the DCM startline so feeling pretty thankful that at present I’m lining up next weekend.

Current weather prediction looks good for the day. Nice and cool. Was very very warm for the half last year.

Chicago wasn’t me... someone else...

How’s everyone else doing?

Sorry - its ISOP who did Chicago!

Im feeling a little niggle but the taper is needed, legs are starting to feel tired. 90 minutes on Sunday is the last only anyway long run and then a couple of easy runs next week.

Hi, I didn't make it to Chicago thanks to those ****wits Aer Lingus who totally wrecked the whole weekend by cancelling the flight from Dublin last Friday (after 7 hours, 4 stuck on the plane on the runway) and not rescheduling a replacement untill 30 hours later making it too late to register at the xpo. I had to cancel the whole trip. I am still furious over the whole thing

Anyway, onwards and upwards... Got some good sessions in this week, 13 mile slowish run on Monday and 16 on Wednesday, 10 @ marathon pace, looking forward to Amsterdam now and feeling good. Hope it is going well for ye. I'm getting in on Saturday on the eurostar on Saturday from London so hopefully no transport issues this time!

• Advertisement

Hi, I didn't make it to Chicago thanks to those ****wits Aer Lingus who totally wrecked the whole weekend by cancelling the flight from Dublin last Friday (after 7 hours, 4 stuck on the plane on the runway) and not rescheduling a replacement untill 30 hours later making it too late to register at the xpo. I had to cancel the whole trip. I am still furious over the whole thing

Anyway, onwards and upwards... Got some good sessions in this week, 13 mile slowish run on Monday and 16 on Wednesday, 10 @ marathon pace, looking forward to Amsterdam now and feeling good. Hope it is going well for ye. I'm getting in on Saturday on the eurostar on Saturday from London so hopefully no transport issues this time!

What a balls job!

Advertisement