Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Radio Presenters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'm amazed that people are saying Pat Kenny. I think he is a fantastic presenter.

Yeah, he can be a bit wooden and uninspiring when discussing popular culture but when it comes to politics and current affairs he is second to none in this country.

He is one of the few broadcasters that will call a spade a spade and highlight BS when he hears it. After the Carrickmines tragedy there was so much debate around travellers, their culture and how they fit in our society. He was the only presenter nationwide that didn't tip-toe around certain aspects of the discussion.

I'd echo John Creedon. Wholly likeable guy and a super show for any demographic.

In terms of bad?? Look at 2FM and take your pick. Every presenter bar Jenny Greene sounds and acts like a TY student on placement trying to make a radio show.

I generally like Pat Kenny, even though I find his 'All-di' and 'Lidd-le' pronunciations a bit grating. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I generally like Pat Kenny, even though I find his 'All-di' and 'Lidd-le' pronunciations a bit grating. :(

Hellleooo, its Paaaaaaat here, now, lets take a ve-ote on that (que robotic shoulder movement)

however, he is a top notch radio presenter

Is that not how they're pronounced?

"Yawh" is the one that turns my head when I hear it. Oliver Callan takes the piss out of it.

Is that not how they're pronounced?

"Yawh" is the one that turns my head when I hear it. Oliver Callan takes the piss out of it.

Lidl actually had an April Fool's Day joke announcing they were changing the pronunciation of their name from 'Leedle' to 'Liddle'
    to make it easier for the Irish to say it! In the ad, Ian Dempsey says 'Leedle'. They also did a skit on Saoirse Ronan's appearance
    on Ellen DeGeneres where she held up a card with the phonetic spelling of her name - they subsequently produced their own card
    with the phonetic spelling of their name - 'Leedle'! :)

Aldi is pronouned as 'Al-di' in the ads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

"Leedle" is the German pronunciation, given that an "i" in German is pronounced "ee".

As to whether or not you want to apply that to an English speaker's pronunciation of it, well that just depends on whether or not you're like a newsreader overpronouncing François Hollande or not. :P

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    "Leedle" is the German pronunciation, given that an "i" in German is pronounced "ee".

As to whether or not you want to apply that to an English speaker's pronunciation of it, well that just depends on whether or not you're like a newsreader overpronouncing François Hollande or not. :P

I usually pronounce names as their owners do. Just being respectful, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

I'd love to put each of you behind a mic see what you're made of and then record your reactions
    on a Go-Pro as the personal attacking comments about your rubbish attempts of broadcasting are read back to you on piercing loud tannoy system roared out by Marty F*cking Morrissey.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I usually pronounce names as their owners do. Just being respectful, I believe.

Fair enough. I think it's a silly thing to get fired up over though. All's I know is if I got mad at everyone who pronounces it Par-is instead of Par-ee, Cologne instead of Koln, Munich instead of Munchen, Mexico instead of Meh-hi-co, etc, etc, etc, I'd be in a constant state of ire. :pac:

Howard100 wrote: »
    I'd love to put each of you behind a mic see what you're made of and then record your reactions
    on a Go-Pro as the personal attacking comments about your rubbish attempts of broadcasting are read back to you on piercing loud tannoy system roared out by Marty F*cking Morrissey.
    Fine evening, Mr Duffy.

Back on topic, I heard Sinead Ryan on the radio yesterday. On the Jonathan Healy show. I guess she doesn't count as a presenter, but she's one contributor I have absolutely no time for. I'm sure she's very good at her job, but she has the warmth and sincerity of a wet fish. My fake-laugh-radar was going bonkers.

how was ferghal darcy on his new show yeaterday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

jezzer wrote: »
    how was ferghal darcy on his new show yeaterday?

Same as today and same as ever - bloody awful.

Generic radio voice, generic track choice and painfully not funny despite how hard he tries.

gimmick wrote: »

Generic radio voice, generic track choice and painfully not funny despite how hard he tries.

ou not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

gimmick wrote: »

Yes bloody awful is right. And the gas thing is, when he was on i Radio he had a completely different accent. Strange.

Yes bloody awful is right. And the gas thing is, when he was on i Radio he had a completely different accent. Strange.

probably told to change it for the dublin audience, what wes he like on iradio? thats a terrible station imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Brenda Donohue. I see on another thread the they're giving her a show..

Brenda Donohue. I see on another thread the they're giving her a show..

oh dear....isnt she on the marty squad? enough said really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The fella that presents the show on Q102 from 5 pm on wards.

I've never seen him don't even know his name but his poncey ****ing voice does my head in.One of the wort DORT type voices I've ever heard.

miriam o callaghan on with dempsey this morning, the most false person i ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Cupra280

The fella that presents the show on Q102 from 5 pm on wards.

I've never seen him don't even know his name but his poncey ****ing voice does my head in.One of the wort DORT type voices I've ever heard.

Could that be Scott Williams?

I agree with you, he used to be the morning presenter. I always thought that by the sound of him, and his interactions with callers, that he's not really a people person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Cupra280 wrote: »
    Could that be Scott Williams?

I agree with you, he used to be the morning presenter. I always thought that by the sound of him, and his interactions with callers, that he's not really a people person.

Just checked.It is Scott Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

miriam o callaghan on with dempsey this morning, the most false person i ever heard

Genuinely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

Tracey Clifford on 2FM. She is absolutely dreadful. What sort of an accent has she got? She has no interview techniques whatsoever. She interviewed Jess Glynne this afternoon and it was just cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Aine Lawlor wins hands down. No hard feelings but from day one I had to run from the breakfast room at my parents place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Marian Finucane (because of her chesty splutters, falsetto voice, smacking of lips & glupilng).
    Ivan Yates (because he runs out of breath mid sentence, then forces out the last few words).
    Tom Dunne because he sometimes mumbles & skips words, he's just not always crystal clear.

Several Irish radio news readers who have far too much gloom & gloom & foreboding in their voices when delivering the news. Tara Duggan comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats no way to talk about our next El Presidenti

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Kevin Doyle. He's not a radio presenter. Could only stand him for 10 minutes on the commute this afternoon. Sounds like he's learning to read.

Caught Ferghal Darcy last friday on the new slot....oh dear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Ah Ivan isn't bad

anyone hear who did bad in the jnlrs yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

As expected Breakfast Republic l lost another 11000 listeners, Nicky Byrne lost 7000 listeners and as a whole 2fm is down 58000 listeners over the last year.

And just to make life worse for Dan Healy, all the over 40 brigade that he exiled to the weekends have gained listeners.

He's getting really pathetic with his exuses now blaming Tubridy moving to Radio 1. And trying to spin that he's gained in the 15 to 34 demographic.

They have given him so much leeway over the last three years but surely this spells the end for him now as his tenure can be described as nothing but a complete failure and clusterfock.

Advertisement