Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Radio Presenters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you had to pick just one radio presenter to listen to for the rest of your life, who would it be?

My choice would be John Creedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Stig Inge wrote: »
    IRADIO IS AWFUL

Not a patch on radio merseyside :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Mary Wilson is without doubt the worst presenter on radio. She seems to think that smarmy, authoritative, condescending tone of hers hides the fact that she really doesnt posses the intellect to properly debate and interview the show's guests. She was a fine courts reporter, when she was simply reading from the copy, and she should have been left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Niall Boylan. Tabloid, toilet, race-baiting radio at it's very worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Paul Collins for me, with his fake country accent when it suits him and his terrible sports puns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you had to pick just one radio presenter to listen to for the rest of your life, who would it be?

This deserves a spin off thread... i'd probably go for Tom Dunne maybe, seems a likeable guy, has a decent knowledge of music and other interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Pat Kenny. That's just my opinion, many may like him.

But the running theme in Ireland is isn't the lack of creativity, its the constant recycling of "talent".

Agreed, thoroughly decent man and eminently likable.

Ryan Tubridy has his fair share of critics, but he's a great dose of fun in the mornings. Very often makes me laugh out loud. I probably couldn't manage him all day, though!

In terms of current affairs, I would be happy listening to Cormac O hEadhra or Audrey Carville, and nobody else.

In fact, they're usually the only two I can bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭markpauldunne

Tom Dunne (Not just because of the surname) he has actual humour the honest type in his presenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I think people are just listing those that they don't like. I'm not a fan of Joe Duffy either but he's not bad at his job. On the contray. Neither is Pat Kenny. George Hook, on the other hand, sounds very unprofessional at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

George Hook reminds me of Thomas Tank,all that wheezing and gasping,He is absolutely dreadful.

I think everyone approaching sixty should now be retired off,there has to be so much talent among younger people which isn't being tapped.Kathryn Thomas though is young and she is the worst of the whole lot.

I don't like womens voices on Radio at all,they are too shrill.I used to make an exception for Marion Finucnane but I have had enough of her"so on and so forth" nonsense now and the smokers cough is desperate.

I do like Ronan Collins though,I wish his show was two hours long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

for me jennifer mcguire bernard o shea and the other guy, alrite on TV but on radio seem to be trying too hard or sticking to same lame format.
    Best thing for me on radio is Tony Casscarino's club classics....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

George Hook sounds like a mole that inexplicably learned to speak, but instead of having confidence in the miracle of his voice, he's actually a little awkward and embarrassed by the whole affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

I love the station for the great 80's and 90's music, but can't stand Radio Nova's Pat Courtenay... Patronising, unfunny, irritating voice, awful catchphrases ("over and under").

Would listen to Tom Dunne any time, a great presenter and good all-rounder on the music and general talk radio front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

is louise duffy being replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

leestone wrote: »
    is louise duffy being replaced?

yeah fergal d'arcy is takeing over. while louise is takeing over his show

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Hector has to be the worst.The constant stream of scutter that comes out of his mouth is second to none

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Hector. How did he ever get a radio gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

eviltwin wrote: »
    Hector. How did he ever get a radio gig?

Have you seen his face?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

As much as I don't like listening to Pat Kenny he's quite thorough, intelligent and respectful. I also loved Niall Boylan, only show I listened to for about 3 years. Was a regular caller but eventually got bored of the repetitive topics unfortunately.

Chris Barry is a muppet. Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Dave fanning or Ray D'Arcy come on and I have to change station ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Even as someone who shares her opinion on a lot of social issues, I'm scratching my head as to how she ended up in radio. She's not particularly articulate, and from what I've heard, spends most of her time in incoherently interrupting her guests (who all agree with her views anyway)

I believe there should be a strong voice for new citizens on radio, blessed as we are with so many well-educated, bright immigrants to this country. But Dil does not strike me as being particularly talented ; her views are totally predictable, unoriginal, and often bordering on hysterical.

She represents the worst side of liberalism, which can sometimes be totally lacking in self-criticism and dispassionate analysis. It gives me no pleasure to say that, since I'd be classed as a 'liberal', and Dil seems like a lovely woman personally speaking.

This gets me too. Although I'd agree with most of her views I find it very difficult to listen to her.

I think it's the unbridled gushing over every topic and guest that irks me the most. It comes across as terribly self-congratulatory at times. The odd bit of critical discourse wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Fergal D'Arcy. He took over what used to be a decent slot on Today FM from 7-9pm and turned it into Top 40/look what I just seen on Twitter crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

I agree and I remember when it was originally his show. Maybe he should have tried to get work on Lyric (the Seanad of radio presenting). I don't like how hear paraphrases and embelishes of what his "guests" say.
    FM 104 should have flashed the cheque book at Niall Boylan once the two lads jumped ship to 98FM.

I used to look upon that show as a sanctuary almost that I could tune into and switch my mind off - looked forward to it every night compared to the skanger-invested warzone it's been since Chris took over. FM104 should relegate him to a supporting role and replace him with someone fresh & with a passion for the show - eg. someone who won't just drone on for three hours, who'll interact with their audience and not hide behind a microphone. In this social media age it's bizarre that Chris refuses to even have his photo taken. He couldn't care less about the show or his listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Fergal D'arcy.

Horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Pat Kenny. He angers me greatly. No argument in him. He has no opinion other than the status quo. A dribbling leftist and a fool.

Mary63 wrote: »
    I think everyone approaching sixty should now be retired off,there has to be so much talent among younger people which isn't being tapped.
    I'd like to think so Mary, but I see very little talent among young contributors to serious radio programmes.

Irish political discourse would be a lot weaker, were it not for intelligent, senior broadcasters like Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke, and George Hook, all of whom are in their 60's. Tubridy is a outlier, but even he is 43, he's no spring chick.

Reflect on some of the younger contributors to current affairs... people like Aoife Kavanagh, an 'up and coming' talent, who had to resign from RTE after her disgraceful behaviour in respect of the Fr Reynolds defamation case... I know that's a TV example, but it does, I believe, illustrate a waning professionalism that is evidenced across all the broadcast and print media.

The demand for instant news in this digital age is reflected in the knee-jerk, unthinking, hysterical media coverage on the types of media where young people tend to predominate. This is a big problem for Newstalk (think Chris O'Donoghue), and online news site, the Journal.

I see very little evidence of broadcasting talent among the recent crops of journalist, and I have some concerns about the retirements of Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke and George Hook, and the void they will leave in good-quality journalism.
    Pat Kenny. He angers me greatly. No argument in him. He has no opinion other than the status quo. A dribbling leftist and a fool.
    Pat Kenny a leftist? I've seen many criticisms of Pat, but never that. I guess he's to the left of George Hook, but not by much.

I know its only an occasional slot, but G Hooks pieces with Allison Spittal are cringeworthy. How in the love of all that is Holy does such a dimwit as A.S get on the airwaves?
    Shyte talk, not News talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We have been blessed with either Lottie Ryan on 2fm of hector on today

• Advertisement

Is 2fm still on air? Haven't tuned in to it for a decade......

Advertisement