Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! History HL 2016 - Predictions, discussion, aftermath

Options
  • 14-06-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Not long to go. What are you guys hoping will come up or are predicting to come up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Guys, how do you answer the 40 mark contextualization essay? Just like a normal essay but shorter?

And how do you evaluate sources? Bias/propaganda etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

TSMGUY wrote: »

Guys, how do you answer the 40 mark contextualization essay? Just like a normal essay but shorter?

And how do you evaluate sources? Bias/propaganda etc.

Yep, my teacher said about 2 pages would be grand.

Yeah talk about any bias, propaganda etc that is evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Guys I'm going to cry, this exam is terrifying me.

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Guys I'm going to cry, this exam is terrifying me.

I feel exactly the same way!!! Anxious as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

I'm thinking of bringing in an ice pack or something for my hand. I don't know how I'm gonna write 17+ pages :/

• Advertisement

What document do you think is going to come up? Kinda hoping Jarrow March

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

luftmensch wrote:
    I'm thinking of bringing in an ice pack or something for my hand. I don't know how I'm gonna write 17+ pages :/

Freeze your bottle of water. Rehydration AND something to cool the hand down!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

What document do you think is going to come up? Kinda hoping Jarrow March

Not a chance! That is the worst one! If Nurnberg comes up I'll be delighted. I always do well with that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I was wondering could you use the quote by Lindon Johnson where he called Vietnam "that bitch of a war", or are you not allowed use any swearing in an exam?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you're quoting an American President, I'd say you'll get away with it! :D

(Lyndon, btw ... ;) )

• Advertisement

I was wondering could you use the quote by Lindon Johnson where he called Vietnam "that bitch of a war", or are you not allowed use any swearing in an exam?
    You can talk about all the murder, the My Lai Massacre and the guerrilla warfare, just don't use the "B" word!!! I'm obviously joking.

I prefer his other quote, "That little raggedy ass fourth rate country"

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

Im planning on doing LBJ, Vietnam, Coleraine , Apprentice Boys and 1916. Im worried thats not enough any other easy topics i could cover that might come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

ConorD21 wrote: »
    Im planning on doing LBJ, Vietnam, Coleraine , Apprentice Boys and 1916. Im worried thats not enough any other easy topics i could cover that might come up?
    You're a little loose on sovereignty and partition if you only do 1916, it could easily not come up. If you're gonna chance it I'd say at least get the 1918 election and sinn fein rise, which was caused by 1916 in there.

For USA you might want to get the moon landing and Montgomery in there seeing as theyre the case studies

For NI, I'd say go over sunningdale too

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dio Brando

Following topics that I actually know

-Hitler's Foreign Policy
    -Isaac Butt and Parnell
    -1916 Rising,Sinn Feinn 1918
    -Dublin Strike And Lockout

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

Well that was a beautiful paper!!

Talk about luck!

Well 1916 was tough to be honest.

I think my first three essays were A1 quality, very detailed and long. My NI essay sucked though, scared it'll bring me down to an A2.

If I did 3 sloppy pages about coleraine (6 paragraphs, INCLUDING INTRO AND CONCLUSION), could I scrape a 65-70/100 in the essay?

Otherwise, beautiful paper! Loved the Johnson Truman question

did 23 pages in total
    Edrees98 wrote: »
    Well 1916 was tough to be honest.
    you on track to getting those points Edress? I'm still competing with you!!!

I think my first three essays were A1 quality, very detailed and long. My NI essay sucked though, scared it'll bring me down to an A2.

If I did 3 sloppy pages about coleraine (6 paragraphs, INCLUDING INTRO AND CONCLUSION), could I scrape a 65-70/100 in the essay?

Otherwise, beautiful paper! Loved the Johnson Truman question

did 23 pages in total

Probably not to be honest.....

Probably not to be honest.....

what kind of marks will I be looking at there. IT REALLY SUCKED. Mentioned key details but it really sucked. They were 3 full pages, though. As in I stopped at the last line.

• Advertisement

you on track to getting those points Edress? I'm still competing with you!!!

Well so far I think I got a B2/B1 in maths, I think an A1 in biology and hopefully an A1 in history. My strongest three are next week so let's see what happens!

Well so far I think I got a B2/B1 in maths, I think an A1 in biology and hopefully an A1 in history. My strongest three are next week so let's see what happens!
    lol feel the same.
    Expecting an A1 in Eng, a B2 in maths, an A1 in Biology and an A2 in History.

Hoping for A1's in physics and econ, but we'll see! Business tomorrow.

what kind of marks will I be looking at there. IT REALLY SUCKED. Mentioned key details but it really sucked. They were 3 full pages, though. As in I stopped at the last line.

You can definitely scrap a B if the content is good and finished ie intro and conclusion.
    lol feel the same.
    Expecting an A1 in Eng, a B2 in maths, an A1 in Biology and an A2 in History.

Hoping for A1's in physics and econ, but we'll see! Business tomorrow.

What course are you hoping to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

Talk about luck!

Couldnt believe my eyes when i opened it if only vietnam came up, i just talked about johnson for the question vs truman as i didnt know anything about truman does that just mean i get half marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnChat12

I was hoping if anyone could help me out, I did 'why did the conduct and outbreak of the treaty negotiations, October to December 1921, prove contentious'. I wrote about the civil war and basically opened my essay saying it proved contentious'because it led to civil war. Did I mess up?

Couldnt believe my eyes when i opened it if only vietnam came up, i just talked about johnson for the question vs truman as i didnt know anything about truman does that just mean i get half marks?

In previous marking schemes they usually cap at 50 CE marks instead of 60 if only one part of the question is answered.

Was an okay paper, was very very tight for time. Haven't touched history really since last year, spent yesterday and today learning essays. Think I got an A1 essay on Coleraine, a B1 on Johnson/Truman and hopefully 70 marks in the Rally question. Irish question really threw me off and I didn't have any covered in great detail. Didn't get to finish that question or a part of the case study.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

I was a bit annoyed with the Coleraine OR Apprentice Boys question, since they usually let you talk about both :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KaTEA

I ****ed up
    As in I lost the will to live 20 minutes into that paper
    I was a straight A student the last 2 years, and now i'll be lucky if I even pass this

Legit hate my life

• Advertisement

KaTEA wrote: »
    I ****ed up
    As in I lost the will to live 20 minutes into that paper
    I was a straight A student the last 2 years, and now i'll be lucky if I even pass this

Legit hate my life
    It's terrible how they condense 2 years of learning to one 3 hour session of arbitrary questions. You could be a great historian and eff up on the day and that's all that's reflected. I really am sorry. I felt such a huge surge of adrenaline during the exam that my heart started physically aching. I just wanted to jump out of chair and yell "F*** this!" even though it was going really well.

The pressurized situation just isn't fair. You probably did better than you think.

Advertisement