Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A is for Accountability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Bench
    Warm ups
    85x2x4
    85x5 (think I failed this 2 or three weeks ago but might have been 90 can't remember)
    Closed grip
    Barx loads
    65x5x2
    65x15

OHP
    20x12
    30x12
    35x5
    45x8
    Attempted 55 failed got mad then did 2 push presses

Drop set with dumbells
    15x12
    10x15
    5x20

Ez bar curls
    Worked to 55x12

Rope pull downs

Lat raises

10mins on bike at random level 12
    I confess been neglecting cardio
    I also confess to a few bad days eating. Very homesick and when I'm sad I eat (but not sad at all when I eat though)

Bench
    Warm ups
    85x2x4
    85x5 (think I failed this 2 or three weeks ago but might have been 90 can't remember)

Checked failed 87 a few weeks ago
    Previous 1 rep max is 42.5 or 93.5 pounds
    So hoping to get at least 45kg/100lbs

47/105 would be loovely though
    This pounds to lb conversion thing is bullocks still

Deadlifts
    Warm ups
    205x1
    225 got it half way
    205x2x2 **** ****

Speed
    145x12

Front squats
    Warm ups
    75x8x3

Rows
    Drop set
    Lat pull downs

Seated row
    Not great just about ticked the boxes
    Meh at least I'm not on a cross trainer having skinny/fit/diarrhea tea like most of the womens

I'm really conflicted about what to do next.. I'm kind of thinking about going back to crossfit. There's a new coach who's quite good, gives me a hand sometimes and if I go to the 6am class i can do accessory work for another half hour or so.
    Not disciplined enough myself some days.

Warm ups

155x1x2
    Paused
    4x8
    Rdls
    4x8
    Working to 155
    Lunges
    4x12el 65lb
    Hsc and leg extension
    4x12

Really funny I did not want to do this at all... spend longer than usual warming up and giving myself a pep talk and ended up doing great. It was hard but more than happy.

Bench
    Warm ups
    90x2x2

Could have done more very excited to test bench now haven't tested it since Jan now

Flew up... what on earth. The gym charged me twice this month and when I told them they were so rude and I'm really annoyed so think I just need to get mad very morning for maximum weightlifting success haha

Cgb
    Warm ups
    65x5x2
    70x12

Shoulder press
    4x12 working to 45
    45x8
    Drop set with dumbells working down to 5lbx 20

Bicep curls
    40x12x4
    Usually able for more weight than that but destroyed bench and shoulders

Tricep rope pull downs lat raises
    4x12

10mins random exercise bike
    Going Gaelic training tonight

• Advertisement

Deadlifts

Warm ups
    215x1x1

Speed
    155x6x2

Front squats
    Warm ups
    95x5
    95x7

Switched to crossed over grip been using the Olympic grip but it kills my wrists... is this cheating haha?

Rows
    4x12

Lat pull downs and seated rows
    5x12 nice and slow

10 minutes O'Donovan brother inspired rowing 30 on 30 off

Later than scheduled cos I fell asleep last night with all my gym gear in the washing machine.. annoying but more than happy with how that went. Just at home now full of endorphins and dinner :):)

Deload squats

Warm ups
    90x5x3

Rdls
    80x5x3

Sprints 15 mins 30 on 30 off
    5 min cool down on bike

So happy I didn't have to do more weight today my back is badly sunburnt having a bar on it was not fun at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sunburnt lifting yowch

Bench deload. Did this early in the morning and realised it nevet posted..

Warm ups
    70x5x3

Cgb
    55x5x3

Did 15 mins sprints, loads of pull up work (can to 2 1/2 together now wide grip) and loads of stretching and rolling

Did yoga today too after work it was amazing. Seriously hooked. Feeling greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

Network down in work and here I am looking up gym programs/crossfit/weightlifting shoes and belts/listening to nutrition podcasts. Remember when I used to read the daily mail like a normal person. I have several options after I test next week:

1. Go back to crossfit 5 days
    2. Do another strength 3 day split and do some running on the side
    3. Do 3 day strength split and crossfit on the other 2 days
    4. 3 day strength split and take up boxing for cardio 2 or 3 days (there's a boxing gym right beside my house which my housemate goes to- wouldn't mess with her and what use is it being strong if I can't through a decent punch?)

So a few options, once I decide what I'm doing I know I'll commit to it I just need to figure out what the goals are and what I want to achieve in the next few months.

My yoga membership is up and it's really expensive can't really justify it.. so gonna buy a 10 class pass and just go weekly I think. I do love it but it's 300 bucks a month and I already pay 100 for gym membership. Trying to save for a few trips, really want a sports massage and honestly need to learn to prioritise and budget or figure out how to **** money.

Bouncing ideas off whoever reads this..

Need new shoes considering squat shoes but want a pair that I can do everything thing in so should I just get Reebok nanos?

When should I really use a weightlifting belt?

Is overtraining really a thing? Because I've been reading about deloads and they also mention overtraining as a reason to do them I thought it was just a break and chance for recovery?

How much would running affect #gains? Say a 10km or half marathon? I hate running but loads of my friends are starting to train for one in December. There's a run in the dark in November too...

I'm also really worried about getting Zika but really there's not much I can do about that.

Much better use of a morning than doing my actual job

• Advertisement

Network down in work and here I am looking up gym programs/crossfit/weightlifting shoes and belts/listening to nutrition podcasts. Remember when I used to read the daily mail like a normal person. I have several options after I test next week:

1. Go back to crossfit 5 days
    2. Do another strength 3 day split and do some running on the side
    3. Do 3 day strength split and crossfit on the other 2 days
    4. 3 day strength split and take up boxing for cardio 2 or 3 days (there's a boxing gym right beside my house which my housemate goes to- wouldn't mess with her and what use is it being strong if I can't through a decent punch?)

So a few options, once I decide what I'm doing I know I'll commit to it I just need to figure out what the goals are and what I want to achieve in the next few months.

My yoga membership is up and it's really expensive can't really justify it.. so gonna buy a 10 class pass and just go weekly I think. I do love it but it's 300 bucks a month and I already pay 100 for gym membership. Trying to save for a few trips, really want a sports massage and honestly need to learn to prioritise and budget or figure out how to **** money.

Bouncing ideas off whoever reads this..

Need new shoes considering squat shoes but want a pair that I can do everything thing in so should I just get Reebok nanos?

Is overtraining really a thing? Because I've been reading about deloads and they all mention overtraining as a reason to do them I thought it was just a break and chance for recovery? I reckon you can overtrain but it's probably hard to do, I reckon I know my limits. Surely under training is riskier?

How much would running affect #gains? Say a 10km or half marathon? I hate running but loads of my friends are starting to train for one in December. There's a run in the dark in November too...

I'm also really worried about getting Zika but really there's not much I can do about that.

Much better use of a morning than doing my actual job

Ended up at crossfit somehow

400m run
    21 KB swings
    12 pull ups with red band

3 times in 15 minutes

See it's grand for cardio but don't think the WODs do be strength focused enough. Eg see how hard gymfreaks WODs are (I know she's been doing it a while and not gonna be doing heavy olympic lifts straight away) but that's surely just a finisher and not a full work out? (Did warm up stuff first too but was in and out in half and hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Decide your goals first and then it will be easy to see which training ideas will suit it.
    Flexibility is key here. I squatted for years using converse but when I finally made the switch to weightlifting shoes it made a huuuge difference to my squats---because flexibility was an issue for me. If flexibility isnt an issue for you than a flat pair of shoes like converse will suit perfect...but you'd obviously need to change to runners if you planned on running etc after. I've no experience with nanos for training so cant comment.
    I was a bit slow getting a Weightlifting belt. Trained for years without one cos I just wasnt lifting heavy enough to need it. When I'm squatting I do everything up to 70-75% beltless and then I use it, for cleans I never put it on until I'm near 60kg. I don't think it matters too much when you start to use one but make sure that you've built up a strong enough core that you are not dependant on it.
    Is overtraining really a thing? Because I've been reading about deloads and they all mention overtraining as a reason to do them I thought it was just a break and chance for recovery? I reckon you can overtrain but it's probably hard to do, I reckon I know my limits. Surely under training is riskier?

I don't think overtraining is a thing for the general population, however I do think that people train stupidly which can lead to them burning the candles at both ends. You need to take an honest look at everything you are doing and make sure that what you are doing is not counterproductive...eg,,,if I decided to go for a 5km run tonight I'd probably ruin my training for the next 3-4 days. Same as, I normally do conditioning on a Thurs evening..as my coach had noticed that my hamstrings were tired yesterday (which is very rare for me, very hip dominant) I was told to skip conditioning so that I'd be fully recovered for a heavy session on Saturday. It's just prioritising...Saturdays are more important than me having the craic and sweating a bit :pac::D If you are following a strength programme there normally is some kind of down week or taper week at the end of a cycle or in the middle of it to help you recover.

If you hate running...why do it. You are only going to regret it 2-3weeks into training.
    Ended up at crossfit somehow

400m run
    21 KB swings
    12 pull ups with red band

3 times in 15 minutes

See it's grand for cardio but don't think the WODs do be strength focused enough. Eg see how hard gymfreaks WODs are (I know she's been doing it a while and not gonna be doing heavy olympic lifts straight away) but that's surely just a finisher and not a full work out? (Did warm up stuff first too but was in and out in half and hour)

LOL..I don't really do WODs. I'm a weightlifter training in a crossfit gym who is given a couple of conditioning pieces a week to keep me happy and to STOP me from going to the darkside...aka crossfit :pac::pac:

Was that the entirety of your crossfit class? Just a metcon?? Don't think I'd be joining it if it was. I know the crossfitters in my gym have a tonne of strength work to do before they do their metcon at the end of the class. Also, outta 150 odd members in the gym I'd say only 4 or 5 gals and probs the same for the lads are allowed to use barbells in their metcons, the rest are not. Unless you have a decent strength base and have spent a decent enough time doing the lifts and focusing on technique then it shouldnt really feature in a metcon.,,it'll only lead to bad habits and people ruining themselves.

I don't know why my post didn't go up again..

Deadlift deload warm ups then 105x5

Thank you gymfreak for your detailed response! You're doing such impressive training yourself. Goal is just to get fitter and stronger. Don't care about body anything else. So yeah you're right about the running thing really just have a couple of friends doing it. Sprints will probably do me just fine.

I went to acrobatics yoga this morning sort of by accident and ended up balancing a maybe 170 pound man on my feet (PR lol, warmed up with my friend, whose probably around 120). This is why I like to weight train just so you can randomly do something like that.

Went to the physio yesterday for massage which was amazing. He told me my traps and shoulders were awful tight, put down to office job and not the training/yoga. Said to do a bit more pulling and back work and less focus on chest stuff so that my posture improves.

Yay squat PR!

165/ 74.8kg

Thought I'd have time to test bench too but nope stupid work.

Bench Pr 105/47.5kg

Been wanting 50kg for a year, think I could get it by the end of this year but it'll be a fight.

No deadlift PR .

Haven't been feeling great the last few days but I don't think I put in the work enough with deadlifting anyway to be honest. My technique went down the toilet for a few months and to be fair I have improved on form and recording myself and figuring out what I was doing wrong.

So deadlift stands at 235/107

Am I allowed be really glad that week is over? Can't wait to actually train again

So was back last week trying out a few new things but going to continue logging:

Squats
    Warm up sets
    95x8x3
    95x12

Front Squats
    Barx12
    55x12
    65x10
    70x8
    70x12

Seriosly want to focus on ass to grass

Rdls
    Bar x 12
    55x12
    75x12
    95x12
    135x12
    145x8

Reverse lunge
    Bar on back couldn't manage any more:(
    4x12 each leg

Glute ham raise. Never did these reckon they will be beneficial
    4x12 as slow as I could manage.

Leg extension
    4x12 up to 7 pin

Oh the pain after this last week was 10 out of 10 not looking forward to tomorrow ahhh well

Exercising in the morning is the best honestly can't understand why people think it's insane. Improves concentration and mood so much. Or maybe it's the huge brekkie and coffee.

Alternating Bicep curl

15x15x5 well able for more weight but gym was so busy couldn't find the heavier weights so extra reps and sets :(

Skull crushers
    10x15
    15x15x4

Barabell curls
    40x15x3
    50 became free 12x2

Tricep rope pushdowns
    5x12

Chin ups and dips in between waiting for weights to become free was unplanned and didn't really keep count but should do more of these.. did 2 sets of palof presses too actually while lurking for dumbells to free up

10 mins on bike
    10 mins interval sprints 30 on 30 off

Bit sloppy and disorganised but it's only a lightish day anyway

Hmm boards wasn't working for me past few days so Wednesday: 14 Sep

Bench
    35x10x2
    45x10
    55x20x18x15x15

Inline dumbell bench
    10x15
    15x15x3

Lat raise
    6x12
    8x20x20

Lat pull down to pin 6
    5x12

Close grip push ups
    5x8 (might have resorted to girl ones on the last set )

Tricep pushdown
    3 x 1 minute ahhhh

1000 metre row in 5 minutes

Thurs 15
    Spin and sprints and stretching

Friday

Today

Deadlifts
    Warm ups
    145x15x3
    145x12

Step ups
    4x12

Rdls
    Working to 135
    2x20

Barabell row
    45x12
    55x12x4

Ab roll outs 5x12

Hamstring curl pin 3
    3x1 minute

Many thanks to COH for randomly sending me a program

• Advertisement

Bench closed grip
    45x12x2
    55x15x4

Shoulder press
    30x12
    35x12
    40x12
    45x8

Skull crushers

10x12
    15x15x2

Reverse flys
    4x12

Bicep curls
    4x12

Bench 21sx3
    Haaaard

Then did a spin class which was very half arsed to be honest my hamstrings weren't cooperating after yesterday

Plus was hungry

quats
    Warm ups 105x12x12x8x8
    Not the best.. probably should have powered through a bit more...was waiting aggges for rack to free up and then felt a bit rushed
    Front squats
    45x12
    65x15x2

Walking Lunges 45bar
    1x12 el
    55x12 el x 2
    Still my least favorite exercise ever

Double KB rows never did these before I likey
    5x12

Vups
    5x12
    Never did these before either ehhh think I was doing them arseways will watch YouTube video later..

Leg extension
    3x1 minute w/ minute rest... send help

Got the old nutrition a lot better last few weeks. Loads of events coming up the next few weeks though so we'll see if I can hold it together. Forgot that I actually really love cooking so been trawling (the millions) of healthy food blogs and trying load of new recipes. Indian,mexican Caribbean and anything spicy basically!

Jinxed myself with that nutrition is going well post was in the cinema last night and had more peanut butter cups than I should have. Delicious though!

Yesterday
    Did a stretching/mobility and cardio session.

Today
    Bench
    Warm ups
    65x20x15x15x15

Incline db press
    Used 15 lb 20 25 30
    4x15

Lat raises
    8lbx15
    10lbx20x2

Lat pull down
    5x12

Push ups
    I'm able to do full ones but not after all the above.
    Did 2 full sets of 8 and then faceplanted..
    Girl ones 12x3

Tricep push downs
    3x1min

10 min interval sprints at the end with 2 minute walk either side.

Usually deadlift friday or Saturday but good night sleep, full of energy and got to the gym early so decided to just move it today lest I be bolloxed and not feeling like it tomorrow

Warm up sets
    145x15x4

Step ups
    4x12 el first without weight second with 10lbs each hand then 2 sets with 15lb each hand

Rdls
    Warm ups
    105x20x20

Rows
    5x15 65lb

Ab roll outs
    4x15

Hamstring curls
    3x1 minute
    (Have a ball tomorrow night doubt I'll last 5 minutes in heels )

Got a nespresso in work and I know that it's awful for the environment but oh my god it's amazing coffee ...

Coffees not bad for you right? Honestly the way some people go on about coffee you'd think it was heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Coffees not bad for you right? Honestly the way some people go on about coffee you'd think it was heroin.

In a good way or bad way? :pac:

[Ee=Alf Veedersane;101123870]

In a good way or bad way? :pac:[/quote]

In a bad way... I can quit whenever I want! I have 2, at most 3 a day. I need the first one want the second one and a third one if I'm tired. Yeah but everyone passes comment on my coffee consumption as if I was doing something damaging to my health (like heroin) And they're only small cups lol

Close grip bench
    45x12
    55x10
    60x23x20x18x15

Shoulder press
    30x12
    35x12
    40x12
    50x8

Skull crushers
    10lbx12
    15lb 2x25

Flys
    5x12 5lb, then 8lb

Bicep curls 4x12
    15lb, 20lb, 25lbx3
    Got 8 reps in at 30lb

Bench 21sx3
    And walked on the treadmill for half an hour or so

Not bad considering I had a rough night. I was at a ball thing didn't drink much actually just got 3 hours sleep. Calf Dom's awful from wearing heels

Bench warm ups

60x17x17x15x13

Dumbell press
    3x12
    30lbsx8

Lat raises
    8lbx25
    10lbx10

Lat pulls downs 5x12
    Push ups 2x8 full 3x12 girl

Tricep push down 1 minute on 1 off

Plan for Monday's is usually squat but benched today because (don't know how) forgot my gym bag and had to fly home to shower and change before work so wouldn't have had time to squat..

Would be common for me to forget an item of clothing, make up, hair brush, a towel etc but the entire bag? A new low.

Squats
    105x12x3, 105x10
    Lunges
    With barx12 el
    With 65x12x2

Front squats
    65x20x2

Double Kettlebell rows
    5x12

Vups 5x12

Hamstring curl 1 min on 1 min off

That went so so much better than last week. Finally went to the boxing gym near my house last night and ehhhhh sort of found myself in the middle of a "boxercise class" wielding a 5lb weight. Super toned up now nooooot.

Anyway they only do actual boxing lessons Wednesday and Monday I think so might go later if I'm not too tired and give it another chance. My housemate says that the Monday and Wednesday class are better and harder so we shall see.

Closed grip bench
    Warm up sets
    65x20x18x15x14

Overhead press
    30x12
    35x8
    40x3
    45x1
    50x1
    55x1 (Pr pretty sure and felt easy!)
    With dumbells 15x15

Skull crushers
    1x12
    2x25

Incline flys 5x12 awful craic cos the bench was stink!

Bicep curls
    5x12 from 15lb to 25lb and 6 reps at 30.

Bench
    21sx3

Had to work late the other night... didn't get to boxing but definitely the major advantage of gym in the morning nothing gets in the way.

• Advertisement

Deadlifts
    Warm ups
    Deadlifts 155x15x4
    Ha my boss was in the gym this morning admiring my strength lol. I made a joke about how sexist he was always asking the men to carry boxes of files but kicking myself now.

Step ups 4x12 el
    RDLS
    Warm ups
    125x20x2

Rows
    55x12x3
    65x12x2

There was classes on so couldnt get the ab roller..
    Did cable crunches 3x20 and palof presses kneeling 3x12 each side

Hamstring curl 1 min on 1 min off

Then realised I did them on squat day when I should have done leg extensions so did those too..

Advertisement