Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Last pizza I made the whole lot came up after 2 minutes

Must be something do with the yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats surprising as I defrost dough a bit and have never had that problem. Only thing I could suggest is not to defrost it inside an airtight bag. Im only guessing here but maybe the lack of air is preventing the dough from 'breathing' and thats what makes it form a crust. If its not that then maybe you do have a bad batch of dough

When Im defrosting I just put the dough ball in a cereal bowl until its soft (about 2-3 hours) then I'll re-ball it and put it on the counter dusted with flour and then a large stainless steel bowl covering it until it comes up to room temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's a weird one alright - it didn't happen when we first got the dough, not that I can remember, or if it did there were only small patches of crust, so maybe it's the dough. Shame as we still have about 30 of them to get through!! I'll try another frozen dough this week to see how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Dobbies are offering 20% off Ooni and accessories at the moment. They are a UK company but have a branch in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. They don't seem to do click and collect but if you phoned the branch they might hold items for collection if they're in stock. The Store Manager was extremely helpful to me last year when trying to source a Koda oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi guys

I recently got a karu 12 and a box of ooni's wood. I've used nearly all the wood now so just wondering what wood people are using and where they get it. Ooni's shipping costs are a bit ridiculous.

Thanks

Not sure if you are in Dublin or not but this place sells a lot of BBQ wood https://aroomoutside.ie/collections/fuels-wood-pellets I dont know what their delivery costs are.

Also look on Donedeal, iirc there was a shop there last year selling various woods for BBQ and pizza ovens

Alternatively you could go into Woodes/B&Q and buy a bag of kiln dried hardwood. You'd have to chop it yourself with an axe though which could be tricky/cumbersome to get it down to size to fit into the Karu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Great post - didn't foresee the twist at the end!

I did a fair bit of research at one point into building an oven, and settled on the gym ball method too, so I'm glad to see it worked out for you (even if you did end up moving!). I think I'll always have my ooni, but there's something appealing about the real job - and supposedly they are great for slow cooking stuff over night once you've finished making pizzas. Anyway, thanks again for sharing - great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

You could try Eddies Smokeless Fuels if you're on the northside (of Dublin). They have a lot of BBQ stuff. They might have what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Thanks. I actually get wood for the fire from them but wasn't sure if it would be ok for the pizza oven.

Do you get the logs and chop them yourself? Or just use their kindling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Thanks very much.

Ya, I'd say it's absolutely worth the effort if you're into the project idea and are making pizzas often enough. I hadn't gotten a door for mine, but it was built to facilitate a DIY door. That would allow slow cooking overnight as you say. Even without the door it maintained a decent temperature for hours after I cooked the last pizza.

Best of luck if you go ahead with the build!

Shoutout to Goodwins building supplies who had absolutely everything I needed to do the project. They even sell a pizza oven dome that comes in two halves if you want to forego the whole gym ball process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

What are the chances of a Black Friday deal on something like an Ooni Karu?

As in the new 16 sized one? If so, none. I read a post on FB yesterday from an Ooni rep saying it will be excluded from Black Friday deals. I'll see if I can find it.

They refer to it in the snapshot above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks - was looking more at the Karu 12 (hard to see why there is such a difference in price between the 12 and the 16). I'll sign up to the newsletter as they suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

This is a strange question, but has anyone used the pre-made bases in a gas or wood fired oven?

What's the outcome been like?

Just considering for times when I haven't planned ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The only one I’ve used is Aldi’s Sourdough and it’s just so easy. Load your peel, no semolina/flour needed. Put on your toppings but keep it as light as possible. All raw toppings should be cooked beforehand. Try and dehydrate your mozzarella, using kitchen roll, to keep moisture away from on your base.

Turn every 20 seconds or so.

You can pump out a lot of pizzas in one sitting very quickly using pre baked bases and the quality is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

In fairness, the 16 is much bigger, much taller and more versatile - more like a pro 2 to be honest - I don’t think it’s worth the outrageous price they’re charging but I may well throw my Koda up on done deal next April or May and get one!

• Advertisement

Ive used the Sorrento bases that Aldi (2.50) and Supervalu (3.99) sell. They are perfectly acceptable and great if you want pizza that night but didnt make a batch of dough in advance. The texture of crust obviously isnt going to be as airy and chewy as using fresh dough but they are still decent enough. If I was having a party and had to make a lot of pizzas Id probably use them as they save a lot of time when theres lots of hungry mouths about.

Does anyone here own Oonis perforated peel and would they recommend it? Does the claim that the pizza dough slides of it easily and never sticks because of the holes stack up? Thinking of getting one if they are discounted for Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Perforated peels are definitely easier to use but they're not magic either. You can still have issues if you've put too much sauce on etc. And if you're not comfortable lifting the pizza onto the peel, a non perforated one might be better... I.e if you have to top the base while it's on the perforated peel then the dough can sink into the holes from the pressure when applying the sauce and other toppings.

I got one from AliExpress for €15, it's absolutely perfect, Ooni accessories are daylight robbery imo.

Thanks PARlance, I think I might leave it so as I normally top the pizza while on the peel rather than moving it onto the peel after topping and as you say I wouldnt want dough sinking through the holes and turning the launch into a disaster.

Agree with you on the price of Ooni accessories, they just re-badge stuff with their own logo and then double the price of what you would find a similar item elsewhere. And of course lets not forget that 300 euro axe they were selling at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Will this do for making my pizza dough, completely new to this

Panasonic SD-YR2550SXC Breadmaker with Horizontal Design and Yeast Dispenser - Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093T7F1YP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_T5GGPBMSD768XM193V3Z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It would, but it would be a complete overkill! Making pizza dough is easy. Start off with a handheld mixer or just your hands. If you then find that you make pizza dough a lot, you can always buy a kitchen machine. It would be more versatile than a bread maker.

It has a pizza dough setting on it so yes. Though you can do it all by hand, there is no real need for a breadmaker perhaps unless you would find use for it making other things like bread and cakes. GBP200 is a fair wedge to spend when its not truly necessary. If you are buying it though its currently at its highest price likely becasue it will be discounted for Black Friday in a few weeks time. It was GBP169 a few weeks ago so they probably raised it so they can drop it again for Black Friday.

This is the recipe and technique Im currently working off and it makes excellent pizza all by hand. Its about 20 minutes active work mixing and kneading the dough. You'll find step by step instructions in the video description on Youtube. Its important to follow them to the letter and try to get fresh yeast from an Eastern European shop, they all sell it for about 50 cents a block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Hd6ZzKgBM&t=7s

Thanks for the comments but I am quiet lazy and would like life made easier for me. What good mixer should I buy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You’re going to need (pardon the pun!) a top notch mixer, like a KichenAid or Kenwood, that will be able to cope with making dough and that is going to set you back way more than a bread maker…..

• Advertisement

Oh right, am I better off with a breadmaking so.

Advertisement