Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Anyone order the new Karu 16?

its the one I had my eye on because the size, malfunction fuel options and glass door, but after seeing some videos, the door seems to soot up when using wood and the digital temperature gage looks very finicky. I know these things seem trivial, but for it’s price, I’d want to avoid small issues like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Gotcha. There's a gap behind the stone in the fyra where it can go. As mentioned above I use semolina as well which tends to be more like dust on the stone and easier to scrape away. It tends to catch fire too so maybe it would burn off if scraped towards the gas flame

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If you're cooking the pizza with smoke then something's not right. My preference would be a wood burning oven but I don't think I could tell the difference in taste and I've had a lot of both.

Same way that pizzas made in coal fired ovens don't come out tasting of coal really.

Have been moving away from Neapolitan style pizzas and have been trying a few NY style ones. Tried to replicate Lucalis pizza in my latest attempt. Neapolitan still a winner for me but it was nice for a change.

Managed to get a quick snap before the kids pounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

It's all trial and error maybe try a dough at 60% so you won't have to use much flour when launching,or maybe your stone is too hot,keep at it with different things and you will eventually get something that works for you.

• Advertisement

I find that when I take a pizza out with my preforated peel that the peel itself can get a bit "dirty" and this can get transferred to your fresh dough on the next launch. A quick whipe of the peel with a dry towel removes it.

The only other thing I can think is that the stone is getting hotter on your subsequent launches.

But it's enevitable that the stone is going to be less clean after the first launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Thanks, it's certainly different than the normal Neapolitan. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole when it came to trying to replicate it (Lucali's supposedly the best Pizzeria in NY, plenty of YouTube videos out there but no definite recipe).

500g Caputo Pizzeria

280-300g Room Temp Water (I've started to use bottled over tap)

20g / Small glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1g instant yeast

15g salt

Dissolve salt into water and then add the EVOO, add about 10-20% of the flour and mix until like a pancake batter. Add yeast and mix with fingers for a minute or so before adding remaining flour gradually. Dough should be a relatively dry one.

Once all combined I kneeded for 5mins, let rest for 15mins. And repeated that process another 2 times.

Lightly oil a bowl, cover and let bulk rise for 2 hours at RT.

Individually ball and leave at room temperature for 6 hours. (I was going to put it in the fridge for 24hr at this point but....pizza needed to get in my belly)

He rolls out his dough with a bottle of wine so, as strange as it felt, I got the rolling pin to the dough and rolled it out very thin and then worked it with hands for the final bit.

Cooked in the Ooni 16, I turned off the flame as soon as I launched pizza for 90 seconds and then put the flame on low for another 90 seconds.

Above recipe does 3 X 300g balls and they were rolled out to just under 16 inch pizzas.

(I spent 5 hours simmering the sauce as per their supposed method, it was nice but ott imo)

Three cheese, 1 block of Tesco low moisture mozzarella finely sliced 70%, shreeded buffalo mozzarella 30% and then parmesan once out of the oven.

Pic added of Lucali pizza, think I got close enough in appearance but who knows if it tasted any way similar.

Edit: corrected water amount

Post edited by PARlance on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You could try get one of those really thick bbq gloves and use it to pull out the stone about half way and brush it off. Id be careful though as the stone is more likely to break when its that hot. The stone is pretty thin and not easy to handle with a thick glove on. Make sure to turn the flame off if you are on gas, if it is wood still burning I dont think Id do it.

Another option might be to put on the thick glove and use a small brush from a pan and brush set. Or also you can use the peel to push the residue down the back towards the flame, just make sure to clean the peel afterwards as some residue will stick to the edge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Just use the peel to loosen any debris and blow it towards the back of the oven - it will burn away into dust.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detail - yeah I thought the rolling pin was a no no but might give it a shot

Same, I use a steel spatula like a paint scraper, scrape it into a little pile at the back and the flames will burn them up

Thanks, a fair amount of the "traditional" NY Slices are rolled from what I see but I'd take a Neapolitan over them any day, it was worth it for a change. It allowed for a much bigger pizza and the longer cook made for a firm base.

The kids weren't overly impressed so it's back to Neapolitan. God help them when they get served up a Dominos.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Save yourself €20 and buy a BBQ brush for €5! 🙄

Had the gas run out tonight but at least the pizza was almost done, just finished it off under the grill indoors. Anyone know how the nozzle disconnects, is it by twisting or do you have to push down on it and then twist or something

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mine has a wee push button on the side that just pops it off. I think there are different versions - I have another one that has a 3-position valve (on/off/disconnect).

yeah mine has an on/off valve on it. What is the disconnect, just half way between on/off and then pull the nozzle upwards or do you have to twist it?

There's a button underneath the on/off switch. You have to press it in with your finger relatively firmly but the top just pops off once you do.

ah cheers, thought there might be a button somewhere but missed it in the dark last night. Just went out now and disconnected it

fwiw I got 10 months out of the gas bottle used only on the Ooni using it most weeks and twice the odd one. About 25-30 minutes use each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Ferrari G3 oven (black) is currently on Amazon Italy for €79.99 + VAT + shipping €15.01 = €95.66 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Currently unavailable ,i bought one from Italy on eBay recently and its an amazing oven for the kitchen I’m still just getting used to it and trying to find a dough that suits me but any pizza i made so far tasted great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 baker_victor79

Wow, great information on this thread and I must say, the pizzas look amazing!

I used to have a **** off-brand pizzaoven with a stone but now I'm very happy with my 6mm pizzasteel. I might look for an Ooni sometime later, and I've yet to try the steel on my grill and perhaps a stone would be better on the grill. Not sure.

Your grill as in bbq grill? Stick with your steel plate. Stones crack if the temp’s too high. Steel won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Apologies in advance for the long post but I want to share my own pizza oven journey with you all.

During lockdown 1.0 my wife and I decided to get our hands dirty and do a massive job on our garden. It was overdue and involved putting in 25 tonnes of topsoil, planting hedges and trees and building a flagstone patio area. We decided to do all the work ourselves.

I had been making my own pizza dough for a while and cooking on a stone in our fan oven. Results were decent but never pizzeria quality.

So I took the opportunity to build a wood fired pizza oven and bbq area.

I needed it to be as cheap as possible so I found a series of YouTube videos on how to build a vermiculite oven for £70 and followed those instructions. Here is the first in that series of videos:

Now my budget ended up quite a bit over his ninety odd euro, mostly because I didn't have some of the scrap stuff he used and during lockdown gym balls seemed to be rarer than hen's teeth so it cost a good bit to get an adequately sized ball on Amazon.

I started by building the BBQ first. I bought a pallet of bricks and a "Bricky" tool. I got a brick bbq set from Argos online. Having never done any brick laying before, this was a real challenge and by the end of this whole process I'd done enough of it that I would rather never lay another brick again!

In this picture you can see the finished BBQ and the layout for the pizza oven base and a preparation area beside the BBQ. The slate is just sitting on top of the BBQ, that will become a worktop later.

Here is the picture of the oven "mould" ready for concrete.

And here is the oven after covering the mould in vermiculite concrete:

I decided not to bother doing the false brick effect on the dome, as is done in the video instructions. Instead I decided to paint the finished dome with high temperature paint after the outer layer of regular cement had been applied. I also decided to add a layer of fire brick slips on the base in a herringbone pattern. Felt it would be better to cook on than the concrete.

The next part of the build involved lots and lots of brick laying. So much in fact that I got sick of it, and once I had the base for the oven finished, I left it like that for about 6 months before I finally built the willpower to finish the prep area and decorative aspects of the oven. Here are a couple of shots of the base mid-build.

With the oven ready to go (apart from building up the flue and decorative work) I decided to try it out.

After some proving fires and no signs of cracking I lit a big fire and got cooking.

Apart from the fact that the lack of a flue made it a rather smoky experience at first, the pizzas came out great. I have a cheap infra red thermometer and it was going off scale at about 450 degrees c. Need to put a log on the fire about every half hour or so to keep it hot enough for pizza.

The first pizza I made in the oven...

To be honest it was a bit underwhelming so I put more effort into my dough recipe. I bought 00 flour and that made a world of difference. I used this website https://www.stadlermade.com/pizza-dough-calculator/ to get a recipe for Neapolitan dough. The results were much better.

It's made some absolutely top notch pizzas, and I'm glad that I went through the effort in the end!

Here is the whole project finished:

All in the project probably cost around €800, most of that cost being the bricks. And now the sad part... we decided to move so we sold the house 🤣

I might go down this road again in the future but in the medium term I'll probably get an Ooni or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wont be using the Fyra till Christmas but been researching doughs and recipes etc and have an old oven pizza stone i might try practice recipes on. Caputo flour seems to be the pretty much agreed on best choice so wheres the best place to get it does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SlitDrip

I really really really wanted to build my own brick oven too,

What tuned me off it was the amount of fuel it needed compared to an ooni karu.

Fueling up a brick one for 2 pizzas is a waste and thats all I make 90% of the time.

+ I reckon I would have spent 1k on a brick one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

You're absolutely right. To get it up to a good temp it needs to be lit an hour or two before cooking so it's a lot of effort if you're only going to cook one or two pizzas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have an Ooni oven and we bought a load (my wife thought she'd ordered 6 but accidentally ordered 60!) of frozen pizza dough. I'm having a problem in the defrosting of the dough. Regardless of what way I defrost it, it forms a hard crust that can't be rolled out and leaves hard patches and holes in the dough. I've tried defrosting it in a bowl with cling film, wrapped in a towel and in an airtight bag, but the crust persists. I'm not sure if it's just bad dough or there's a better way of defrosting it?

Advertisement