Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

maximo31 wrote: »
    Are these only collection?

I opened an account with pallas last year and got this flour delivered, along with other stuff.

The flour is brilliant. Great pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Yep. It’s shopping, you’re allowed. :)

:) No where that close to home though. Long way to be travelling for flour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Pipmae wrote: »
    The Koda gas is back in stock.

https://eu.ooni.com/collections/shop-all/products/ooni-koda?variant=18861716144195

I've decided to wait for the Koda 16 - the wait is going to crack me up!

I have the Ooni 3 for a few years and got the Koda last winter.

Koda is a beast. The 16 has the side burner - I don't think it's going to change much with cooking tbh. If the top cooks any quicker you wont get the base done correctly.

For the person asking above - Ooni is better than any oven or BBQ set up and only slightly worse than a proper oven set up due to their thermal mass (stay hot for longer)

The only criticism I have of Ooni (with exception of the pro maybe) is you cant do 4 or 5 pizza's back to back (need to let it get back to temp)

Caputo flour is the only game it town!

A fresh pizza 16.5 mins after sticking on the oven is hard to beat (15 mins warm up and 90 seconds to cook) Attached a pic of one of mine to get the juices going :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Your baby is the spitting image of you :D

Zaph wrote: »
    Your baby is the spitting image of you :D

Thankfully - I was worried for a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just going to the order the Ooni Karu I think, trying to decide if I'll order their peel or get one from amazon. What width is the pallas peel?

Ryath wrote: »
    Just going to the order the Ooni Karu I think, trying to decide if I'll order their peel or get one from amazon. What width is the pallas peel?

I use this one and it's the perfect size. Anything around that size is good.

Another suggestion - A laser thermometer is a good add - Very beneficial to let you know when you are in the sweet spot of stone temperature (450 - 500 c)

This is really beneficial especially when getting the oven back up to temperature after 4 or 5 pizzas.

I bought one on ale express a few years ago for buttons and it still works perfectly. Something like this from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

12 inch square plate

Thanks for the advice. Ooni karu preordered was going to get their peel but it had gone out of stock this morning. I have plenty of time to decide on a peel though shipping isn't till late May. The ones on amazon have all shot in price over the last week or two the pallas one is around the same price. Anyone recommend a folding one or with a removable handle? Would be a bit easier store in the kitchen and not the shed! And to bring the ooni camping too if we're ever let out again!

I'll get the gas attachment down the line when it's in stock again but looking forward to using wood and charcoal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'm still torn between the Koda and the Koda 16 - I found this article quite good although I'm still undecided. We are a family of 5 - all pizza loves so I'm leaning towards the bigger one.

https://countertoppizzaoven.com/ooni-koda-16-vs-ooni-koda

Anyone recommend a folding one or with a removable handle? Would be a bit easier store in the kitchen and not the shed! And to bring the ooni camping too if we're ever let out again!

I store my peels behind a kitchen cupboard. A radiator would probably work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Another suggestion - A laser thermometer is a good add - Very beneficial to let you know when you are in the sweet spot of stone temperature (450 - 500 c)

This is really beneficial especially when getting the oven back up to temperature after 4 or 5 pizzas.

I bought one on ale express a few years ago for buttons and it still works perfectly. Something like this from Amazon.

Infra red thermometer is vital for operating these ovens imo, takes any guesswork out of if when it has got back up to heat to cook the next pizza.

Agree.

There's a pretty solid. 'ooni community' on Facebook. Lots of tips, reviews and pics of perfect pizzas.

An English girl has a YouTube channel called Got2EatPizza and she has most of the ovens and is very active.

Have my dough for tomorrow cold proving in the fridge atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Little Italy in Smithfield is my go to for all things Italian, they have 00 flour, San Marzano tomatoes, percorino cheese, basically everything you need for pizzas, they sell pizza peels too. They do delivery but there is a 7 day backlog at the moment. If you're near Dublin 7 their shop is open to the public, just ring the bell and they'll let you in
    http://www.littleitalyltd.com/

I ordered stuff from them last Sunday and they rang on Tuesday to change the order because they didn't have some items in stock,i was kinda hoping id have them today to make pizzas over the weekend but no sign of it yet,and i know everywhere is busy now for deliveries,but 7 days is a bit much for a delivery within Ireland they cant be that busy can they..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ordered from ripasso.ie. Fully stocked and I was able to collect from them within a few hours. Fortunately I live within walking distance of them, but they also deliver.

I ordered stuff from them last Sunday and they rang on Tuesday to change the order because they didn't have some items in stock,i was kinda hoping id have them today to make pizzas over the weekend but no sign of it yet,and i know everywhere is busy now for deliveries,but 7 days is a bit much for a delivery within Ireland they cant be that busy can they..

yeah 7 days is long but they have flagged this on their website. Im still surprised as their main business is as a wholesaler to lot of Italian restaurants around Dublin and throughout the country and given they're all closed deliveries should be a bit quicker than 7 days really.

Most of their food is imported direct from Italy so its not surprising they are out of some items right now. Did you have 00 flour on your order and is that in stock, I going to need some myself in the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

yeah 7 days is long but they have flagged this on their website. Im still surprised as their main business is as a wholesaler to lot of Italian restaurants around Dublin and throughout the country and given they're all closed deliveries should be a bit quicker than 7 days really.

Most of their food is imported direct from Italy so its not surprising they are out of some items right now. Did you have 00 flour on your order and is that in stock, I going to need some myself in the next couple of weeks.

I had 1kg bags of flour on my order,but that's why they rang me to say it was out of stock and only 10kg bags left so i got one of them instead.

So from reading on here , here is a list of items one needs for the ideal pizza set up :
    Pizza oven - Ooni seems the oven of choice,
    Wooden pizza peel - for loading the pizza in to the oven,
    Metal pizza peel - for turning and removing the pizza from the oven,
    00 flour - for making the best pizza dough,
    Semolina - underneath the pizza on the peel for ease of movement,
    Outdoor table - for placing the oven on,
    Laser Thermometer - for checking correct temperatures have been reached,
    Plastic container - for storing the pizza dough balls,
    Propane gas – comes in red bottle , required for Ooni oven,
    Wood pellets - for the wood fired pizza oven,
    Griddle pan / cast iron skillet – for cooking steak , veg ,etc.
    Proper oven gloves - very handy if using skillet.
    Decent weighing scales - for getting accurate weight of yeast.
    I may have forgotten a few things so please add to the list if you have any suggestions.

Hadn't noticed this before on the Ooni site but they have an app for working out recipe quantities for dough based on amount required, temperature and proof time. Looks handy I usually make a fairly big amount of dough 1kg flour at a time and freeze or make bread with some of it but might suit better some times to scale it back.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ooni.app&referrer=af_tranid%3Dyf8bbOq2kBEVYdEX1id5fQ%26shortlink%3Dfaa98e49%26pid%3DSocial%20YouTube%26af_web_id%3Da93d6b7f-760c-4995-8dec-5be661dd3662-o

https://apps.apple.com/GB/app/id1043854726?mt=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

So from reading on here , here is a list of items one needs for the ideal pizza set up :
    I may have forgotten a few things so please add to the list if you have any suggestions.

Why do you need the wooden peel also?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I had a square metal peel already, but I would like the perforated metal peel - I’ve read they’re good quality and really good for launching - I’ve never felt the need for a wooden peel but I do usually rest the cooked pizza for a minute on a wooden chopping board that happens to be round

Don’t forget a good scales - I have a regular kitchen one, but from my research online, the dual one from ooni is good quality and has a wide range. It’s pricey but I could find a match on amazon for any cheaper. This is really useful because most longer prove time recipes call for minute quantities of instant yeast

Fired up the Ooni for the first time this year last night, as soon as I had the first bite I was asking myself what took me so long to get it out of storage again. Didnt do the dough thing as Id no time but instead a couple of Lidl bought pizza bases which were decent enough for store bought.

Anyway Aldi have packets of Spanish tapas which are great for toppings if you like a meaty pizza. Pack contains 6 x serrano ham, 8 round slices chorizo regio and 8 round slices of chorizo pamplona. Theres enough toppings in the pack for two 12 inch pizzas with a little left over. Bargain at 1.99 too.

Fired up the Ooni for the first time this year last night, as soon as I had the first bite I was asking myself what took me so long to get it out of storage again. Didnt do the dough thing as Id no time but instead a couple of Lidl bought pizza bases which were decent enough for store bought.

Anyway Aldi have packets of Spanish tapas which are great for toppings if you like a meaty pizza. Pack contains 6 x serrano ham, 8 round slices chorizo regio and 8 round slices of chorizo pamplona. Theres enough toppings in the pack for two 12 inch pizzas with a little left over. Bargain at 1.99 too.

That tapas mix does make a lovely pizza. Topped off with a bit of rocket, perfect! :D

My Koda shipped today anyways having ordered on the 11th... :D I am happy to forward a 10% code to anyone who wants it? Apparently it works on anything ;)

Alkers wrote: »
    Why do you need the wooden peel also?

I'm no expert on pizzas to be honest. I just saw on the Ooni FB page about using the two peels. No idea how much difference it makes.

I'm no expert on pizzas to be honest. I just saw on the Ooni FB page about using the two peels. No idea how much difference it makes.

A wooden peel is easier to launch from because the pizza is less likely to stick to it, but as I said, I have used a standard metal peel with a bit of semolina and it’s perfect although it takes a small bit of care and practice, as well making very sure you’ve used a good bit of semolina. The perforated peel is supposedly easier to use again,

I tend to lay my base on the peel and then sauce cheese and top it just before launching, haven’t yet mastered being able to drag it onto the peel once topped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Pete I'd appreciate that code if it's not gone already. My husband is trying to convince me on a barbecue from homestore and more, I'm trying to negotiate on an ooni. This might sway it in my favour!

That tapas mix does make a lovely pizza. Topped off with a bit of rocket, perfect! :D

yeah for 1.99 I was well impressed with it. Also there is very little water in the meats which I prefer. This might divide opinion but Im not a fan of pepperoni or chorizo that leaks oils all over a pizza during cooking. It makes a crisped base turn sloppy and your fingers get destroyed eating it. With the meats in their Spanish tapas pack it doesnt leak liquid and the edges of the round slices crisp up nicely and take on a bit of char.
    Pete123456 wrote: »
    My Koda shipped today anyways having ordered on the 11th... :D I am happy to forward a 10% code to anyone who wants it? Apparently it works on anything ;)

Bet you're gagging to get your hands on it, it'll be like Christmas morning when it shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

heldel00 wrote: »
    Pete I'd appreciate that code if it's not gone already. My husband is trying to convince me on a barbecue from homestore and more, I'm trying to negotiate on an ooni. This might sway it in my favour!
    I just ordered an Ooni Koda.
    It shows up as unavailable on the EU store but is available on the UK store ;249.
    I used a code for 20% off that brought it down to to £199 with shipping to parcel motel NI.
    Paid by Revolut = €229.
    That's a €50 saving off the EU price. Parcel motel can deliver to my home address for about €10 so still saving €40.

Will PM you the code as I think it can only be used a few times per week.

Advertisement