Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Wonder is a used Ooni Karu worth anything at all? Anyone know if there is any market at all for them? In perfect (but clearly used) condition with a few accessories, cover, peel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

They’re 500+ new and accessories aren’t cheap so I’d say if you priced it reasonably you’d get takers. Can’t see why not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Gas fired ones will be easy to sell as wood handling is challenging at times..but u can get a gas attachment for karu as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

This is the probably the wrong place to ask, but...... maybe the best place.

What tomatoes do people use for their sauce?

I generally use the Dunnes Simply Better tinned San Marzano and I find them brilliant but they're a bit expensive at €1.79 a can.

I've tried a few cheaper San Marzano tins from different shops and altho much cheaper, none are as good as the Dunnes. I find a lot of them very watery, even if they have a low juice content.

Mutti pizza sauce if in hurry or mutti polpa tomatoes…i know they are costly but i need a can to make 6-7 pies(i go low on sauce😃)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Another plus one for the pizza sauce, the connivance and the fact it tastes good makes it a simple solution for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

Cheers, the Aldi pizza sauce in the jar is quite nice, that's my go to if I need shop bought.

I do prefer to make my own tho and the mutti tomatoes are slightly more expensive than the Dunnes ones.

Maybe the Dunnes are the best value?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah also a big fan of the mutti pizza sauce, especially the smaller double pack of cans they do so I don't have to worry about wasting half a normal can if im only making 2-3 pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You can make it and freeze it. Very handy.

Mutti 🤩🤩

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mutti chopped tomatoes most of the time, but for a few sweet weeks, San Marzanos (or romas last year) from the greenhouse. Freeze the sauce in batches so you can keep using it. Just blended tomatoes, garlic and salt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Seedaholic, brown envelope seeds and the latest batch from bee seeds. Definitely worth the effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I have a wood-only Ooni Fyra 12 and have had a problem from the start. I'm usually doing 5 or 6 large pizzas and have noted that, while it's piping hot for the first few and they're done quickly, by the time I get to the last two or so it's much cooler and they take at least twice as long and aren't crispy, especially under the base. It seemed to improve a bit when I started jiggliing the pellet feeder chimney every so often, to get the ash to settle, but looking in at the feed tray the last time, there was previous little ash actually falling through. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I'm wondering if the last wood pellets I got (https://www.heavins.ie/p/wood-pellets-15kg/10377) are too large, compared to the Ooni ones I bought with it? I'm considering bending the grill base of the feed tray somehow to try and get the ash to fall through better.

There's also an issue when it's windy and I can see the flame blowing out the back of it instead of forwards over the pizza but I suppose nothing much can be done about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

I try to have the back of it facing into the wind so that the air flows back to front through it and use the chimney vent to control the flame and have the door closed when cooking. Also close the door and open the chimney vent fully between pizzas.

I find solid oak or beech pellets burn the hottest. Have tried a few others such as apple and cherry which weren't as good. The pellets you've linked there don't mention what they are made from or if they are food grade so I'd probably avoid those. I got the oak pellets from here last time.

The pellets can get stuck in the hopper sometimes too so you may need to push them down from time to time. Also worth investing in one of these as a turbocharger or when cooking on a calm day to keep the air flow steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Need to keep topping up the Fyra really. Two person job.

Thanks for the tips and links. I always have the door closed except when inserting, turning or removing the pizza. I never change the chimney vent from 'open' though - are you supposed to? Re the wind direction, sometimes it's difficult to tell - where I cook, it's the corner of the garden by the house and a wall so the wind can behave unpredictably. Those pellets are more expensive than the ones I'm using but you get what you pay for I suppose. The shake of the feed chimney I mentioned it to unblock stoppages there, which seems to work well, it's just the ash that isn't falling through the grill - perhaps the oak pellets would collapse better.

Yeah I've got good at that so it's not an issue really, just the ash below clogging up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

I usually close the vent a little bit when cooking if I have a good breeze coming in the back to keep the flame down a little so it doesn't get burned on top. The oak/beech pellets should definitely help with the ash situation. I get very little ash in mine. Those other pellets are probably made up from a whole load of cheap stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Ooni Koda 16 Gas Pizza Oven - used like new condition, 30% off on amazon warehouse so it's about €378. Sale ends at midnight tonight though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

Hey all.

I have the ooni koda 12 which uses propane gas.

I would like to use it all year round. I have a shed/bar large hatch at front and side. Hatch on side is closed in this pic.

I can open door on left to allow extra air flow.

Would this be safe?

great setup…yes some air flow from side should help..see if u can place the koda at a 90 angle so airflow is from behind

Thanks, actually yeah i was thinking of moving the table its on 90 degrees so i'd have more space for the turning peel. This would have the back of the ooni against the hatch at the side which would be open when im using it. Only thig with doing that is theres no neat place for the gas bottle. I'll move the table over to the side and see what i can do.

Perhaps a small hole to pass the gas tube and reg through and keep bottle outside at the back of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Nice set up, should be fine airflow wise.

Just be careful with the hole for the tube, make sure it won't get frayed from sharp edges over time.

I'd use a cat flap or similar if you're going to just temporarily set it up for each use.

Moved the table around. There's space inside for the bottle. Lucky because there's no space behind and I don't want bottle out the side under the hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

did you make that yourself or buy it - and if you bought it, where from?

Wishing could take credit for the build. Last year I scouring the Internet for plans for something similar that I could build myself but I chickened out and bought from this company.

It's pretty good build.

I've put in the grillskar table from ikea for the ooni. I have room to stretch the dough next to oven. I put up some extra shelves as at left side and behind the front wall with left over 2x1s I had from the the privacy fence I put up.

https://cshfurniture.ie/shop/garden-bar/garden-bar-24x15-meter/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Has anyone any recommendations for good quality and value kiln dried wood suitable for ooni karu 12? Based in Dublin. Thanks.

Advertisement