Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 topal

Pausing to use a spatula to pull everything off the sides can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Yes I do that!

Just curious why, every now and again, does the entire mix just immediately come together and stay together for a few mins before turning to glue!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭squonk

Do you follow the exact same prices each time though? Like as above, my general rule for any dough mix is water in the bowl when salt and maybe oil, then for and yeast on top. It could be down to the temp of your water even.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

Same thing for using Kenwood chef, so I now hand mix using slap and fold method and I thing the dough is better and i use a 70/ 72% mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

i would not overthink this…depending on when u add water flour etc in the mixer it may change it… i generally do 2-3 20 mins intervals of slap and fold post mixing and thats what matters at the end..smooth ball ready to cold ferment !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

There's a fella on YouTube makes dough without a mixer 60% hydration still does be a bit sticky.massimo think his name is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Alright, so I tried poking through the thread. Short of buying an axe (and learning how to use it), where are people getting hardwood for their Ooni's?

The box I got with my Karu is gone, and the "kiln dried kindling" from the coop is spitty and sparky, and defintely not hardwood. We can use gas in the meantime (which himself prefers, but I really like hauling out the wood from time to time and making a "proper" fire).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Have you tried a wood supplier that does small amounts? Where are you based? mulch.ie do small and large amounts of hardwood. But they don't always have everything in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I'm into my charcoal BBQs (I have 3...)

Was big into the wood fired ooni then I got the gas attachment to use over winter and I wouldn't go back to the wood.

Maybe if I was suck for gas but it just doesn't make a difference to the pizza. Wood is hardship for the sake of hardship.

The quality of wood makes such a difference .

With lots of other stresses of baking pies..wood fire management would be i would avoid..having used karu and now a koda it was the right call !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

mulch.ie's website has been down for a few days, so not sure what they have.

In Limerick. I've emailed aroomoutside but i suspect I'll have to ring them. Everything on their website is for smoking rather than burning.

Who likes pesto on their pie?

Post edited by Roberto_gas on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ My daughter’s favourite topping, pesto with Chicken and Sweetcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone tried the Odlums ‘00’ flour? I’m curious and I do have a pack but I’m not sure what they’re at Ray. In my local supermarket it’s €2.99 while the Caputo 00 is €2. Was going to try it out over the weekend but just interested to hear what others think of it.

pic i posted above of pesto pie is using odlums 00 ! Very good result. So go for it.

Not sure i would buy it now for 2.99 even with a free bowl with purchase of 2...i stocked up when it was 1.99 on offer at dunnes so worked out at 1.6 per kg. Caputo is a better bet value wise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've used it, it's fine. To be honest, I think I would prefer Italian branded alternatives, but not sure if it's just the branding and messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I've used it a few times, results have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I think it is Italian? Pretty sure it says milled and packed in Italy on the packaging.

I tried it a few weeks ago as I spotted it when getting semolina. My dough didn't work out as well as previous attempts with the Caputo 00 but I'm pretty sure it was a chef error and not the flour.

I did think it was expensive tho at €2.99, I usually get the red Caputo 00 for €2.50 in an Italian deli near work.

I spotted some other 00 in another shop last week called Anima Verace but that was even more expensive at €3.50. I did get my best pizzas yet from that but that could just be coincidence as I'm getting more practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

When it comes to the 00 flour, my understanding is that the protein percentage is what's most important. Going from memory, I think around 16% is optimal.

jist curious which flour has 16%? Caputo 00 pizzeria maxes out at 13%

• Registered Users Posts: 32 codod

Does anyone know where I could buy an Ooni pizza oven on Humm? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DRedSky

out of sheer curiosity could you put a store-bought supervalu base in? Would it work? Or is it essential to make the base yourself fresh?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've used various pre-made bases, from Jus-Rol to my local sourdough bakery's par-baked bases.

My experience is that they're generally... fine. They're never going to come close to a proper fresh dough base. They still generally beat a frozen pizza, mind.

Some of the supermarket ones are a bit... I dunno, biscuity? I like my pizzas kinda bready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Not essential to make the base fresh.

If you feel like a pizza, no need waiting 5hrs, just pop over to Aldi, Lidl, Supervalu etc and buy a few bases and you will have pizza in no time at all.

Some people may have arthritic hands or similar conditions which makes kneading and flattening of the dough difficult. So a pre-made base is ideal.

Also to note that places like Musgraves sell boxes of dough balls that are normally sold to pizzerias, restaurants and hotels. All you need to do is take it out of the freezer, let it sit for 5hrs or so and then knead it into a base.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

I totally disagree! Having read your and other comments decided to give gas attachment a try again today and in my opinion the pizzas that come out of the real fire on Karu 12 are way ahead. The gas attachment struggle to get to 400 deg and really drops off after a bake. Yes it is a bit more hassle topping up the fire but the finished product is way better and I like playing with fire. The gas is grand if its a rainy day and is improved immensely if you happen to have a flame thrower from Lidl for killing weeds. Give the stone a blast between pizzas for 30 seconds and you go from320 to 450deg as opposed to waiting 5 minutes for the stone to reheat.

I have no experience of the Koda but as it is made as a gas cooker only it probably performs better.

Never had such issue with temp…stone is at consistent 450-470 on my koda 12. I just crank up the heat between bakes. Gas attachment on multifuel may be not as good as koda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

I don't like the gas attachment on the Karu, much prefer a real fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

On the Koda 16 I find that to get the best finish I have to set the control to under 1 otherwise it burns.

So, get it up to temp but just before the pizza goes in, set it to under the 1 mark.

Advertisement