Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is getting addictive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

11th August

7.9km in 43 minutes (5:26 average)

Decided to join a training run around Curragh Chase before the race on the 21st. Pace was all over the place but was comfortable overall, especially considering the run the day before. Think 4 more runs between now & next Thursday & then 2 day break before the race.

13th of August

10.53km in 57 minutes 21 seconds (5:27 average)

Final long run before the race. Will do a few 6km runs at 6 minute pace over this week to prep for the race.

2 more runs to log here

15th August

6.21km in 37 minutes 37 seconds (6:04 average)

17th August

7.25km in 40 minutes 12 seconds (5:33 average)

The 2nd run was a bit faster than intended, had wanted to keep over the 6 minute average but got a bit carried away.

I have one more run tonight before the race on Sunday. Aim to do the 6.2km route again in around 40 minutes. If I get in that run tonight I will have ran 170km between the race on the 1st of July and now which I'm delighted with. 6km tonight will also put me over 250 miles since I have started running :)

Will stick up a post tomorrow to log my run and give a target for the race on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

You're in good shape for Sunday J and you've followed your plan very well.
    Looking at your first post and a 10km under 53 looks like it'll be easily achieved and most likely a bit under 50 if the 5 mile
    run last month and the training is anything to go by. Only trouble might be the weather. I saw a headline that said 'unseasonably wet weekend'
    which probably means wind too so I hope that won't be too much of a factor. Look forward to reading how you get on.

gramar wrote: »
    You're in good shape for Sunday J and you've followed your plan very well.
    Looking at your first post and a 10km under 53 looks like it'll be easily achieved and most likely a bit under 50 if the 5 mile
    run last month and the training is anything to go by. Only trouble might be the weather. I saw a headline that said 'unseasonably wet weekend'
    which probably means wind too so I hope that won't be too much of a factor. Look forward to reading how you get on.

Thanks Grammar.

18th August

7.9km in 48 minutes 14 seconds (6:06 average)

Run was a bit longer than planned but was enjoying the comfortable pace so added a small bit of extra distance.

As you say Grammar it is likely to be fairly wet Sunday and add in the fact that there are 2 long tough up hill sections around Curraghchase makes for a very challenging PB. I know that I set myself a target of 53 minutes in my opening post but I think I have progressed beyond that point. Conditions considered I am going to set myself a very tough target of running a sub 50 minute 10km. The course is tougher than the Bruff 5 miler (a couple of km on loose chipping and paths).

Collecting my race pack tomorrow night (woo hoo my 1st race tshirt and a medal!!)

Will let ye know how I get on Sunday night.

• Advertisement

It was a much nicer day today than yesterday. Overcast, light drizzle &15c.

Got to the location of the race and did 2.6km in warm up @6.35 pace with some strides thrown in. Kept loose & stretched after that.

Kept relatively close to the front at the start line as felt started too far back in Bruff.

Off we went & things were going well, the 50 minute pacers were about 30 metres ahead of me but after about 2km I was up with them. The 1st 4km went very well

1. 4:36
    2. 4:44
    3. 4:46
    4. 4:33

I was comfortable, breathing much easier than most around me. We hit the 1st major climb & this is where things started to go wrong. The climb was tough but fine but it had an impact on my bowels with my Crohns & had to take a bathroom break in the caravan park. Obviously lost time here & it also affected me a little. There was another climb soon after that I had to stop & walk. This was a confidence blow for me. My spilts were

5. 5:32
    6. 6.03

I was not on the best place but carried on running. I could briefly here the 55 minute pacers chatting behind me but I picked it up again.

My splits the rest of the way were

7. 5:01
    8. 5:27
    9. 4:51
    10. 5:14

The trip to the toilet added a few metres and I didnt cross the finish line until 10.20km in a time of 52 minutes & 5 seconds. This was a tough experience today & the kms from 5 to 8 were mentally tough being honest. I dont typically let anything Crohns related bother me but that & having to walk a hill section really threw me. Not the best of days but I will come back better.

Aiming to do the St. Michaels Rowing Club Urban Run 10km in October & Run in the Dark 10km in November and want to smash 50 minutes.

No running for the rest of this week, have a physio visit on Friday. Been told that I have either runners knee or IT Band inflamation/insertion in the knee.

1st injury since I started running back in April :(

Not sure what the recovery times are for either, if anyone has any experience let me know.

A few things didnt go your way in the race J but it was still a minute under your initial target time despite the conditions, the course and the pitstop so you know you have sub 50 in you.

Shame about the injury too, hopefully won't be much and the physio can set you on the way to recovery on Friday. I don't know the first thing about that kind of injury so be interesting to know more.

A few things didnt go your way in the race J but it was still a minute under your initial target time despite the conditions, the course and the pitstop so you know you have sub 50 in you.

Shame about the injury too, hopefully won't be much and the physio can set you on the way to recovery on Friday. I don't know the first thing about that kind of injury so be interesting to know more.

Thanks Grammar, I feel a bit better about the run at this point than I did Sunday. Knee and leg are feeling a good bit better but taking no risks till I see the physio tomorrow.

Physio went well Friday, he reckons a bone bruise in the knee. Really good session, he put the knee through all sorts of strains n all good. Has given me some stretching routines, foam rolling, bridges n planks to help me on my way.

Tonight was a test run to see how things went.

5km in 36 minutes 42 seconds (7:20 average)

All good apart from my calves feeling like blocks of cement. No pain in the knee

• Advertisement

30th of August

6.30km in 36 minutes 56 seconds (5:52 average)

The knee felt OK again. Think it might be in my head feeling things that aren't there. The 6th KM was done in 5:01 (a fairly uphill KM) and all felt Ok during it so moving on.

Looking at the August distance covered and I have completed 85.06Km. I had targeted 90Km for the month but allowing for the week off with the knee pain it is a good total.

Have no races as such in September (Taking part in a relay marathon, 200m * 14 for 2.9km for my part of it). Going to aim to do about 120Km in total and want to do 2 runs of 15km or more during the course of the month to set me up for the 10Km races in October and November.

Good to see the knee problem has taken care of itself. I know what you mean about your head imagining something that isn’t there. I was doing the same for a few runs when my heel was at me, almost trying to convince myself there was still something there when it was fine.

I wonder should you throw in a few faster km’s? No surprise to see me say that I hear you say. My reasoning/warped logic is the following – looking back over your log the only times your pace is under 5mins is when racing so it might be a bit of a shock to the system when you do especially trying to hit 5mins or under for 10km. Maybe on longer runs do a fast km every second or third one to shake it up a bit?

Good to see the knee problem has taken care of itself. I know what you mean about your head imagining something that isn’t there. I was doing the same for a few runs when my heel was at me, almost trying to convince myself there was still something there when it was fine.

I wonder should you throw in a few faster km’s? No surprise to see me say that I hear you say. My reasoning/warped logic is the following – looking back over your log the only times your pace is under 5mins is when racing so it might be a bit of a shock to the system when you do especially trying to hit 5mins or under for 10km. Maybe on longer runs do a fast km every second or third one to shake it up a bit?

You are right on that, think I really need to open it up but just wanted to take these 2 runs handy. I am going to throw in a few sets of strides on my run on Thursday, although the 5:01 km is probably only 15-20 seconds off what I would want to run for the 10Km in October and it felt ok.

3 runs to log here

2nd of September

7.70km in 43 minutes & 6 seconds (5:36 average)

4th of September

10.30km in 59 minutes & 26 seconds (5:46 average)

Nothing huge to report on these 2 runs, tipped away at an average pace. The 10km run was a new route which will have a nice extra loop that'll I'll use for a longer run soon.

6th of September

8km in 45 minutes & 16 seconds (5:39 average)

So took Grammars advice (definition on insanity maybe) & had a bit of a decent pace over 3km. The splits for the 1st 4km were 6:34, 5:12, 5:59 & 6:11. I then upped the pace for the next 3km & recorded 5:01, 4:48, 4:45. The last km was 6:11.

Felt good throughout the uptempo section.

Have a new race target to add to the year. I am going to aim to do the Clonakilty half marathon on the 3rd of December. Will be great to hopefully complete my 1st half to finish out the year.

I never thought I'd see the day when someone took my advice!
    Seemed to go well all the same as you were feeling good and it's also a good negative split even if only a training run. First 4km 23:16 and 20:05 for the second 4.

I never thought I'd see the day when someone took my advice!
    Seemed to go well all the same as you were feeling good and it's also a good negative split even if only a training run. First 4km 23:16 and 20:05 for the second 4.

It was sensible advice & I did need to stretch it out a bit. The 3 "fast" km were pretty comfortable. My last km to home is very up hill so there was no point risking anything there.

A combination of work, weather & teething 1 year old gave lots if reasons to not get out in the last few days.

The plan tonight was to hit 15km

10th September

15.65km in 1 hour 27 minutes & 28 seconds (5:35 average)

From the 3rd to 14th km I hung around the 5:30 mark, although dipped down as low as 5:10. The last 1 & a bit km was tough enough, especially the uphill bits.

Planning to run the half marathon in Clonakilty on the 3rd of December now. I'd love to crack 1 hour 50 minutes, so there is lots of work to do between now & then.

13th of September

8km in 50 minutes 42 seconds (6:20 average)

Took it nice and handy last night after the long run at the weekend, felt relatively tough actually & I was a bit surprised by how slow the run was.

I woke up Sunday after the long run and had the exact same issue as a few weeks ago where I could hardly bend my knee. Did about 3 sets of stretching sets throughout the day (focusing mainly on the glutes and quads). Started to loosen out as the day went along. Stretched out again Monday a few times and all felt good yesterday.

Clearly I have to get into the habit of doing some proper stretching after runs and that likely it was not a bone bruise as diagnosed previously.

So Friday night i took part in a corporate relay marathon event. 15 on a team, you run 200metres, pass baton & so on. I did 15 200's with about 5-6 minutes rest in between (lots of stretching). Dont have any times for my own 200's but we did the marathon distance in 2 hours & 19 minutes (19 minutes behind the winners).

It was good craic but feck me 200 metres at near flat out is tough. 15 of them is crazy.

Literally every muscle in my body is sore since, been doong lots of foam rolling & stretching the last 2 days. Might take another day before getting gack into a slow shortish run Tuesday.

Its 3 weeks today to the SMRC Urban 10km so a couple of days recovery is no real impact. Plan to do a 16km run next weekend & a slow 10km the weekend before the race. The rest of the midweek runs will be 6-8km with the odd sub 5 minute km thrown in.

One query I have is a 10km race I was planning on doing. The Run in the Dark 10km is 2 & a half weeks before the Clonakilty half. Would i be able to run a hard 10km & recover in time? The Clonakilty half is the main goal to end the year in under 1 hour & 50 minutes

20th September

5.2km in 36 minutes 25 seconds (7:00 average)

Oh my god, my legs have not been good the last few days, every muscle has been stiff and tight. Lots of stretching but it's been painful. Decided to bite the bullet and get out for a run tonight. It was very slow but felt a good bit looser after. Focus now is on 1 more short run in the next couple of days before long run on Sunday.

• Advertisement

I only suggested doing a few faster kms in your runs, I didn't think you were going to do 15x200 flat out! I was hurting after just two 100m sprints so I can only imagine your legs after what you did.

The run last night will have helped and with 2 and a bit weeks to the 10km you'll be fully recovered and raring to go.

As for running a couple of weeks before the Clonakilty half, I think it's loads of time and should be very good preparation. You'll recover a lot faster from that than you will the 15x200m!

I only suggested doing a few faster kms in your runs, I didn't think you were going to do 15x200 flat out! I was hurting after just two 100m sprints so I can only imagine your legs after what you did.

The run last night will have helped and with 2 and a bit weeks to the 10km you'll be fully recovered and raring to go.

As for running a couple of weeks before the Clonakilty half, I think it's loads of time and should be very good preparation. You'll recover a lot faster from that than you will the 15x200m!

:D It was mental, everyone was in bits. One of the guys on our team did the Itera Challenge (Running, walking, kayaking for 5 days, 120 hours, 600KM) and he was in bits as well the last few days so don't feel too bad.

No more speed work between now and the 10km Urban Run, think I am in a good place if I get the 2 longer runs I talked about in.

25th September

11.25km in 1 hour 2 minutes 21 seconds (5:33 average)

I actually think that I am still no where near over that relay marathon. Despite days of stretching my quads basically quit for the last 3km of this run. It is less than 2 weeks to the Urban Run 10Km so trying to balance getting in more miles and allowing them to get back to normal working state. My aim is to run 4 more times between now and the Sunday the 9th. 2 runs of 10km and a couple of shorter runs.

30th September

9.78Km in 51 minutes 12 seconds (5:14 average)

This is the 1st time I have felt back to normal since the relay marathon. Didn't plan to do anything special as didn't know how my legs would feel but felt great when I got going. The 1st Km was 6:10 with the next 3 being 5:18, 5:16, 5:17.

Wasn't keeping an eye on my watch but knew I was going well without over exerting myself. The next 5km was put away in 24:46 which was pleasing. If I can roll that out to the 10km for the Urban Run Race I'll be pleased.

2nd October

12.34Km in 1 hour 11 minutes 11 seconds (5:46 average)

This is my final long run before next Sunday, will do 2 more shorter slow runs during the week. No real issues with the legs (slightly tight calf) but overall logging over 22Km in 2 runs in 3 days is pleasing as finally feeling back to normal. Roll on race day next week.

You seem to be in good shape for the weekend J.
    Avoid any 200m sprints and you'll be grand!

6th October

4km in 21 minutes 12 seconds (5:18 average)

Time constraints, crazy non willing to go to bed children and dark country roads (need a head torch or something) limited me to a very short run thursday night. The 3rd km was 4:38 though which was a good effort.

Tomorrow looks like it is going to be dry, sunny & 16c for the race, so pretty good conditions. Have to collect my race pack in the morning. Will do 2.5km at a very gentle pace (over 6:45 per km) with a few strides thrown in. Then will go through series of stretches. Despite how the Curragh Chase 10km went in the end the warm up run & stretches put me in a good place so dont see any need to change this.

My goal will be sub 49 minutes which is a very realistic target.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    6th October

4km in 21 minutes 12 seconds (5:18 average)

Time constraints, crazy non willing to go to bed children and dark country roads (need a head torch or something) limited me to a very short run thursday night. The 3rd km was 4:38 though which was a good effort.

Tomorrow looks like it is going to be dry, sunny & 16c for the race, so pretty good conditions. Have to collect my race pack in the morning. Will do 2.5km at a very gentle pace (over 6:45 per km) with a few strides thrown in. Then will go through series of stretches. Despite how the Curragh Chase 10km went in the end the warm up run & stretches put me in a good place so dont see any need to change this.

My goal will be sub 49 minutes which is a very realistic target.

You're in good shape J...no need to wish you best of luck because you've trained well for this and you'll do it no bother.
    Running on those roads make sure you're lit up like a christmas tree. I'm lucky here with so many tracks I never have to worry about cars but you see you so many stories of accidents there's no way I'd run on the road especially at night.

Thanks G, hope your right with the training!!

I got an RSA high vis vest, I have on of those lights that clip onto the back of your shoes that flash and I have high vis wrist bands, just really need a head torch now to see where I'm going. The mid week runs for the rest of the year will be short with long runs Sundays to build up to the half.

9th October

St. Michaels Rowing Club 10km

About midday October slowly turned into May/June with beautiful sunshine & 19c temperatures. Completed my 2.5km warm up as planned with a few strides, butt kicks & high knees thrown in.

Went to the 10km start & was right at the back but managed to elbow my way up to just beyond half way. Off we went, I knew I was going through the 1st km at a very strong pace as was breathing heavy. It was a 4:18 1st km. It was tough going at this point. I could feel myself slowing down over the next few km. by the time I hit the 5km mark I was at a very strong (unsustainable) 22 minutes 55 seconds (approx. this is easily a new 5km PB.

I could feel myself struggling a bit (a huge amount with that pace) & took the mental approach to try to tick off each of the remaining 5km at 5 minute pace. This was a good approach & only 2 of the remaining 5km was over 5 minutes (5:01, 5:03). Once I hit the the final KM i gave everything left & crossed the line to record a time of 47 minutes 44 seconds.

Absolutely thrilled to have put in that time. Stiff & tired now but delighted.

• Advertisement

Well done J, that's a great time. You managed it nicely midway. You hard the hard work done by then and like you said it was just a matter of ticking off the km's to the finish which with the training you've been doing was never going to be a problem.

Advertisement