Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Irish OL 2016 - Discussion, aftermath

Options
  • 11-06-2016 3:48am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

What does everyone think about paper 2? I'm predicting Spailpín Fánach/Colscaradh for filíocht and Gnáthrud/Cáca Milis for the prós... Of course they might just put on Hurlamaboc and Oisín again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

How risky am I being completely avoiding Oisin and Hurlamaboc...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

lumosteph wrote:
    How risky am I being completely avoiding Oisin and Hurlamaboc...

I'd recommend at least learning one of them just in case

I'd say you're safe enough it'll be a nationwide scandal if they come up again

emersyn wrote: »
    I'd say you're safe enough it'll be a nationwide scandal if they come up again

That's what I was thinking! I might glance over the summaries but that will be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Can I just say now that I hate Irish? Can't wait to be done with it for good. Hopefully that story about Jimmy comes up.

For paper one with the blog stories and all that how many pages should I write atleast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

One page would be the minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Boaty wrote: »
    One page would be the minimum

I got told 3/4 of a page is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

I have no idea what i need to know for paper 2, ive done stories like cursai eitilt , gafa re o leighis, fluent dysphasia etc in class but what do i need to know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Some peoples idea of what 3/4 of a page is seems to be different so roughly a page is a good idea, because if you have don't 3\4 of a page you'll be on a reduced marking scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭TheOwl12

I don't really intend on counting Irish so I'll probably learn off a few key words and hope for the best. Usually gets me a B2. Although my oral was terrible so that will bring it down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

Anyone have any ideas what to expect in the blogs and email section for paper 1 ? I was going to learn something about Ireland for the blog section - hopefully something about culture will come up, email will be grand !

Jdoe wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas what to expect in the blogs and email section for paper 1 ? I was going to learn something about Ireland for the blog section - hopefully something about culture will come up, email will be grand !

A lot of the time the blogs are about things you would have prepared for your oral - last year had sports, 2014 was friends/music, 2013 was films/your area/the weekend, so I'm just having a look over my oral copy and hoping for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lucky Leprechaun

How many words should you write for the blog/ letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Well Paper 1 went grand, not brilliant though I think. Found the listening section kind of difficult. The accents on some of them!

The blog/letter topics were the most beautiful I have ever seen

The compositions were amazing... No details in the questions at all, there was so much scope to twist everything into prepared topics
    The listening was fine, about average I think - was it me or was the more northern accents this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gahv

What was the telephone number in the listening ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Gahv wrote: »
    What was the telephone number in the listening ?

I was busy fixing an answer the first time around and barely caught it the second.
    I got something like 09045608

• Advertisement

Listening was dodgy as expected by I got my usual 50% or around that. I'm terrible with Irish accents even if they're speaking English (You'd think after 14 years here I'd be better). The letter and conversations were really nice. Used all my oral phrases for the conversation on country life and city life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nikitaforte

How much are the pros and filiocht actually worth? Like if I didn't answer them how bad would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

TheBiz wrote: »
    I was busy fixing an answer the first time around and barely caught it the second.
    I got something like 09045608

Thought it was an 01 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gahv

Who died in gnáthrud?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Vilas

Paper 1 was pretty good but I misunderstood the story about the train but I'm pretty sure I could argue that my story is relevant if I had to.

Anyone have short summaries of Dis, Caca Milis and Gnathrud? My teacher's ones are 3/4 of a page long and that is such an overkill. Themes and such are fine, just the summaries. Would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Conorh123

Hi last minute studying here - I'm wondering have any of u any predictions for the pros and poetry sections thanks

Paper 2 was so nice can't believe dis and caca Milis came up the predictions were right. So happy and hope this paper can help boost my grade up in irish

So glad I'm done with Irish. The most painful subject for me. Poems were nice ones as were the comprehensions. I don't like any of the stories on the course so no matter came up I am unhappy with them.

Still no Gnáthrud! Everything still fine though, no tricky questions and got to leave early to study topics that ended up not appearing at all on the Biology paper :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

emersyn wrote: »
    study topics that ended up not appearing at all on the Biology paper :O
    This x1000

Advertisement