Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Irish HL 2016 - Predictions, discussion, aftermath

Options
  • 10-06-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hey, does anyone have any predictions on what is going to come up for irish?
    like the -poems, -short storys, and what will be asked on them

also what the essay in p1 will be
    and im doing 'an trial', if anyone else is studying this play, do you have any predictions on the questions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

An Gnáthrud and Géibheann are the only two not to come up yet, but it's highly unlikely they'll both come up together imo. One of them is almost certain.

Impossible to predict the essays, I'm probably gonna go for the emotion ones that always come up. As for An Triail, there's not a load they ask and all the questions end up at the same answer format - plot/characters. There's nothing complex like imagery or language to worry about, so I'd say just know the plot well and do some notes out on the characters and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lee_la

What essays are ye doing? I learned na teifigh and 1916 agus an Ghaeilge. I thought I was safe enough as they're both topical, but we thought there'd be a mention of 1916 somewhere on the English paper and there wasn't so now I'm starting to think it won't come up in Irish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Badgerrr7

Sport might get a mention. Hasn't been up in a while. I'm predicting it to do with money so I've that well prepared.
    One of geibheann/gnathrud should come up. Would love to see both but being realistic. learn an tearrach thiar and dís very well.
    For an triail know theme and techniques. Can't see chars coming up 4 years in a row.
    If an essay doesn't come up on 1916 it has a high chance of being a comprehension so know vocab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 123zxc

Would it be safe to just learn an bochtanas and an oige as essays?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

For essays I have an timpeallacht, sport, an coras oideachais, an coras slainte, eire mar ionad saoire, bochtanas sa triu domhan and then a 1916 and young people one. I'm little bit worried because the ones I've learned are all very niche and specific. Does anyone know the layout of the oraid? Would it be okay to start with, "dia daoibh a chairde, inniu beidh me ag labhairt libh faoi blah blah blah" and then throw in "a chomhscolairi " and other debate-like phrases here and there?
    (I'm posting on my phone and fadas won't show up for some reason!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Hiya, I was just looking at the marking schemes for the comprehensions and the answers seem to be direct quotes from the text. Is this all you have to do? Like, even in French you sometimes have to manipulate the answer...but in Irish will you get full marks for just pulling your answers directly from the text? And do you not have to form full sentences?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Hiya, I was just looking at the marking schemes for the comprehensions and the answers seem to be direct quotes from the text. Is this all you have to do? Like, even in French you sometimes have to manipulate the answer...but in Irish will you get full marks for just pulling your answers directly from the text? And do you not have to form full sentences?

Yeah I think they changed the need for manipulation when they changed the course in 2012. I assume if it's a direct quote in the marking scheme it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

It's easier than the Junior Cert comprehensions. You can directly copy from the text but just make sure that you change things like pronouns when necessary.

For example, if the text says "Thug mé bronntanas duit", you have to change it to something like "Thug an t-údar bronntanas don duine" just so your answer makes sense.

The two comprehension are worth 100 out of 600 marks overall and they're actually really easy so you should be able to get high marks on them.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh libh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

I wrote two pages of basic irish and had lots of personal 'add-ins' for the daoine óga question. I think the Irish is mostly okay but I kept spelling tábhachtach as tabhachteacht. Do I have a chance of scraping a D3, I was going to drop to ordinary and now I don't know if I made the right choice :/

Nicest paper I've ever seen. The essay titles were very nice (international problems one was perfect for my refugee essay :P ) and tbh the Aural wasn't overly challenging in terms of accents! Definitely a lot fairer than past years! Let's hope paper two keeps it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What topics came up for the alt/debate can I ask?

What topics came up for the alt/debate can I ask?

Ahm if I remember correctly one was about elderly people and the other was that you had to pretend you were a TD and you had to talk about your plans for the future..

The papers should be online at like 6pm anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

user53 wrote: »
    I wrote two pages of basic irish and had lots of personal 'add-ins' for the daoine óga question. I think the Irish is mostly okay but I kept spelling tábhachtach as tabhachteacht. Do I have a chance of scraping a D3, I was going to drop to ordinary and now I don't know if I made the right choice :/
    I seriously doubt that you failed the aiste and the oral will almost certainly bring your grade up. The comprehensions are easy places to pick up marks in and if you know anything about the litríocht, you should pass those questions or at the very least, come close.

Since the new course came in, it has become a lot easier to pass higher level so study for tomorrow and have faith in yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

lovely paper, seriously happy
    listening was a bit more difficult that previous years but definitely okat, got a nice 6 page essay out of fadhb idirnaisiunta essay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

so so so happy i studied that terrorism essay over the weekend. it fit in SO perfectly with the international problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gibsoneve

I'm devastated, I read the debate wrong and presumed daoine aosta was young people (aos og), it was a good essay but clearly wrong title. Anyone have any idea what the marks will come out like?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

so so so happy i studied that terrorism essay over the weekend. it fit in SO perfectly with the international problems!

Was it not an international problem rather than problems? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

gibsoneve wrote: »
    I'm devastated, I read the debate wrong and presumed daoine aosta was young people (aos og), it was a good essay but clearly wrong title. Anyone have any idea what the marks will come out like?
    Is 80 out of the 100 marks not for grammar anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

koolis02 wrote: »
    Was it not an international problem rather than problems? :confused:

yeah it was just one problem, i just wrote it in wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

I wrote the Daoine Oga essay which came to just over 2.5 pages, at 580 words. Everyone who done the same essay came out smiling saying they got 4 pages or 4.5 pages which got me a bit scared as that is big competition - but surely they are way over the 600 word Req.? Will I be marked less than them purely on content?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

Giotar wrote: »
    I wrote the Daoine Oga essay which came to just over 2.5 pages, at 580 words. Everyone who done the same essay came out smiling saying they got 4 pages or 4.5 pages which got me a bit scared as that is big competition - but surely they are way over the 600 word Req.? Will I be marked less than them purely on content?

Wondering this myself. They say 500-600 words but how do you compete with 1000 word essays? Are the examiners supposed to take the length into account and not mark any higher for >600 words?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Semigeneric

Hey I was just wondering does anyone have any notes on how to answer the question 6b in the comprehension? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

How many points do you have to know for each poet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Wondering this myself. They say 500-600 words but how do you compete with 1000 word essays? Are the examiners supposed to take the length into account and not mark any higher for >600 words?

80/100 marks are going for your standard of Gaeilge used (grammar, verbs, phrases etc.) while only 20/100 are going for the ideas you used. There's more chance of making more grammatical errors in an essay that is 4-6 pages than 2-3. If you wrote between 500-600 as per the requirement you'll be fine. Don't worry about it, it's done now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

What if you talked about more than one international problem for q (a)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Geoffrey90

BrownTrout wrote: »

I wrote about Terrorism and The Refugee crisis only to realise that it said "problem" and not "problems" so I just said that terrorism in the middle east led to the refugee crisis.

Geoffrey90 wrote:
    I wrote about Terrorism and The Refugee crisis only to realise that it said "problem" and not "problems" so I just said that terrorism in the middle east led to the refugee crisis.

I talked about those also in the same way but also linked the refugee crisis to homelessness. I also talked about the environment and cyber crime on an international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

4 pages learned off a 1916 essay. Delighted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BrownTrout wrote: »

You're fine.

They're primarily worried about your standard of Irish. It would be quite different if you wrote about, say, Donald Trump because that was the nearest "learned off" essay you had to an international problem (though some might argue he is one! :D )

Dealing with a couple of relevant issues rather than focusing totally on one won't be any big issue.

• Advertisement

Well, how'd paper 2 go?

Advertisement