Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ganzo123

Hi there, I’m just wondering I started the clearance process for this position back at the start of February. It said the clearance process can take upto 4 months. I still haven’t received any correspondence Would this be normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Amcc121

I started my clearance process for this position back in mid April to, I was wondering is the 16 week waiting period accurate? Hoping to hear back in the next few weeks. Looking forward to joining the BMU all going good

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

Anyone know what's happening out in the BMU/ISD at the airport with so many people leaving or ready to leave?

Is there something happening out there?

I understand that people move around in the CS but it seems to be much higher out there than the norm.

I am hearing different rumours that are going around the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Probably staff that join realize that shift work is not for them and would prefer regular 9-5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Uncle.Junior

Some of this would be correct, but not a lot leave the BMU for this reason.

Most move as they get promoted to a higher grade. Other's move to another department, like revenue, WRC, Gardai.

The skills attained by most officers in the BMU give them great experience which in turn, can get them placed higher on panels for other grades/positions.

In the short 8 years of the BMU, the are many previous officers appointed to PO/AP/AO/HEO and mostly EO grades. Not many that have had time in the BMU leave Civil/Public Service.

• Advertisement

What is the norm for the Civil Service and how is the BMU higher than this? Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

You're probably right to an extent . Not many are leaving the CS itself but appears to be better terms and conditions elsewhere, shift work or normal hours within CS

• Registered Users Posts: 6 s9393

Staff get promoted from the BMU at a higher rate than other sections because as a poster said above, the skills an ICO gains are far greater than that of a normal CO in an office job and therefore looks great on forms & in interview. Leads to them placing higher on panels and moving upwards. Add to that shift work just may not suit some people when they try it and it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

I presume staff that are promoted to a higher grade are moved to more generalist 9-5 roles either in Justice or other Departments. Are there many opportunities for staff to stay working in a BMU role in the Airport's or is it case that there would be say an internal mobility list within Justice to fill the roles at EO grade or higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Depending on the competition, open, interdepartmental or departmental would determine the department you get promoted to and the demand of the departments. But anyone currently promoted goes to a normal Mon to Fri role within the civil service unless they've move to a specific role such as WRC or Gardai that are shift based already.

In order to be a higher grade than a CO (ICO) in the BMU, you must already be the higher grade (EO (ICS) or HEO (ICM)) in the department of justice. The open positions are then advertised internally through an expression of interest within the dept. of Justice. I'm sure everyone would love to see promotions happen within the BMU directly but currently it must be done as expression of interest, as all the roles that carry premiums such shift, Sunday and bank holiday premiums must be open to all existing grades at the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Cassie23

Does anyone know if they are still only recruiting from the first panel at the moment?

I got called up from the first panel. Just waiting on my security clearance to come back now. That was said it would take 16 weeks to complete. That was 16/17 weeks ago now

Does anyone know when the next group of officers are likely to start. I started the clearance process in February and they said they are still waiting on my extra security clearance.

Hi, is anyone else waiting a long time for there security clearance to come back for the position?. I'm waiting 22 weeks now when I was told it could take up to 16 weeks back in April.

Hi, yes I started the clearance process back in February. I still haven’t heard anything

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Being called for interview next week.

I had placed 393 on the psychometric stage.

Any interview tips specific to BMU - ICO are welcome, but imagine it will be pretty much competency related with maybe two questions per competency :)

Hopefully we hear back soon, crazy waiting that long and I don't think there's anyone we can contact to see what happening with it either

Interviewed this morning. 2nd interview since 2014. I think it showed that I was nervous. Felt happy enough overall. No real surprise questions. All competency related and how would you deal with staff making mistake, staff being awkward, customers being difficult/disruptive. Fingers Crossed 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rocket1983

Hi,

Passed the interview and got placed 10th in the order of merit. I have no idea what that means in terms of going forward but at least i passed :)

has anyone else got feedback from interview or placement on the panel?

Got my results and placed around that mark as well so fingers crossed to get out there soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 BeachMusic

Does anyone know how long the training is for? Is it on site, online or a mixture of both?

Waiting now over 8 weeks for security clearance - I know some of you are waiting longer - any idea how long it is on average to hear back?

Took me 33 weeks. Was a absolute joke waiting so long. Ended up finding a better job in the meantime so didn't go for the bmu. Hopefully you won't take as long.

That's terrible - I am still waiting to hear back and when I queried it with them before Christmas I was told sometimes it takes longer?? Is there anyone else still waiting to hear back about extra security clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gcca10

I am still waiting for the extra security clearance and it's the 18th week this week. Did you hear anything from them?

Waiting now over 20 weeks and nothing from them.............. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 woodsman23

Regarding the BMU…I waited a ridiculously long time to get here but I eventually did…I was so excited and upbeat before joining the BMU but unfortunately it’s not what it’s made out to be…the entire unit is over run by back stabbing bullies ….I’ve seen new staff being humiliated and reduced to tears in the first few weeks of joining…I’m here over 2 years now and I genuinely pity any new staff that walk in the door…there are 1 or 2 ICS that really shouldn’t be in charge of anything never mind humans …it still amazes me how some people have managed to pass any form of test to be accepted into this role…I’ve seen really good decent officers bullied out the door because of the “clicks” on certain teams …please think hard before you give up a job to join the BMU, im sorry to say you could be sorely disappointed…if the minister for justice seen what goes on in there ,a third of the work force would be sacked …as a self proclaimed “non national” , if you’re not born and bred in dublin, you get treated like dirt…on a positive note ,if you pass the gruelling probation (boot camp) there are many opportunities to progress onwards and upwards…thankfully I have progressed and I’m happy to have done so…but it was far from easy…there are some lovely people there ,but there are also a fair share of nasty bullies that will try to break you, they choose to forget that they themselves were once “a newbie”….there’s one particular little angry man that everyone knows, thankfully I wasn’t on his team …but I have no doubt his power trip will be his downfall some day !!! So my advice is “proceed with caution “ ..the BMU needs good decent ,fair officers , and hopefully some day the stale wannabes will be outnumbered

I'm sure nobody likes the person that you were in the BMU, nobody wanted to work with you either. Making an account to post once and slate you're colleagues.. Very chicken of you, good riddance. A colleage that did work with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmy706

___

Post edited by Jimmy706 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmy706

__

Post edited by Jimmy706 on

Advertisement