Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moto Z & Z Force Thread - - - - -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Z is down to £299 on John Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bought the battery pack, was very excited and then ran it through the wash without even getting to use it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Just got Nougat on the Play

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

Bit the bullet on this phone on amazon.de this morning

Moto Z Gold

€423.80 seems like a great price looking at other phones with equivalent specs
    Its €2 cheaper now than it was when i bought it this morning as well :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

derekbro wrote: »
    Bit the bullet on this phone on amazon.de this morning

Moto Z Gold

€423.80 seems like a great price looking at other phones with equivalent specs
    Its €2 cheaper now than it was when i bought it this morning as well :rolleyes:

Down to €402 now so cancelled and reordered

Down to €402 now so cancelled and reordered

Sound like a broken record now.
    £350 deal of the day on amazon.co.uk roughly the same price but with free postage. Cancelled the above one and ordered the black one (only got the gold one as it was the cheapest. €550 on amazon.de today)

Sound like a broken record now.
    £350 deal of the day on amazon.co.uk roughly the same price but with free postage. Cancelled the above one and ordered the black one (only got the gold one as it was the cheapest. €550 on amazon.de today)

The Play is a great phone! expect the Z is even better

Got the phone yesterday and it seems great, so much faster than my LG g3. Its updated to android 7 but just wondering if there is a way to reduce the size of the icons on the home screen so there's 5 across. Have the font size and display size set to the smallest in display settings but there's still 4 across. Is it possible or do i need a 3rd party launcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Try long pressing on an empty space on the home screen and see if you can access some launcher settings.

Im not sure about the ins and outs of the default stock launcher though but I would always say Nova is a good call alternatively.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Try long pressing on an empty space on the home screen and see if you can access some launcher settings.

Im not sure about the ins and outs of the default stock launcher though but I would always say Nova is a good call alternatively.

Thanks. Tried that also but just brings me to google now settings and cant find anything for the display. Will have a look at Nova, seems to be recommended quite a bit.

Thanks. Tried that also but just brings me to google now settings and cant find anything for the display. Will have a look at Nova, seems to be recommended quite a bit.

Nova is nice alright

On Evie since getting the phone and really liking it. Its pretty no frills

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Picked up the Z from Amazon, lovely phone so far, trying to get a case. The Moto G had a shell with an integrated front flip-cover, is there anything like that for the Z?

Bizarrely all the cheap cases for the Z seem to leave the Moto Mod port exposed while also covering the rest of the back so moto mods can't dock with the exposed port. It's the worse of all possible worlds!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

doublepost

Motorola selling these in the UK for £298 + delivery (+ Parcelmotel?), comes with free JBL sound mod.
    https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-z
    Code MOTOZHOT
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/moto-z-32gb-jbl-soundboost-mod-speaker-herringbone-nylon-style-shell-298-99-motorola-2638264

So that's £1 lower than the John Lewis deal 3 weeks ago AND you get the free speaker mod with kickstand and small additional battery - it's like having a tiny cinema in your pocket! HUKD do not rate Motorola for returns though.

Only the white one left, BTW

Got the Moto Z yesterday on the deal direct from Moto with JBL Speaker for £300. Overall, am enjoying it. After a day of using it some things I've found:

- Battery fairly week as expected. Was pretty much dead by mid afternoon, with a bit over 4 hours SOT. Not crazy bad, but will definitely look at the battery mod. Was using it more heavily than usual, though. Using maps etc.
    - Single front facing speaker is a lot better than I expected, and the JBL speaker isn't as good as I'd hoped. I have a £15 bt speaker which is miles louder. It was free though, so can't complain.
    - Currently using the bumper that came in the case, with the style shell on the back. Don't know how long I'll survive with the bumper.
    - Turbo charge seems fairly good, but can't seem to get a fast charge using a different QC 2.0 charger and a USB-C cable.
    - Chop for flashlight is very handy. Can't get the hang of twist for camera, but prefer double click power button anyway.
    - Was already very used to Night Mode on Nougat, but didn't seem to be available on the Moto Z, even after updating to N. Downloaded an app from the Play Store that enables it in quick settings.
    - Moto Approach (or whatever it's called) is handy, but almost comes on too easily? I do wonder how much a lot of these extra features using gestures and proximity sensors drain the battery.

Nice to have a change after a year with the same device. Happy with it overall.

What was the app?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What was the app?

Night mode enabler. There's probably a few options around.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.michaelevans.nightmodeenabler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Another new Moto Z owner from the recent offer. Loving the phone so far.

Only complaint at the moment is the size of the icons. They are far too big for my taste. I can't believe my only option is to use Nova if I don't want to root it. It seems like such a standard setting that should be available.

Only complaint at the moment is the size of the icons. They are far too big for my taste. I can't believe my only option is to use Nova if I don't want to root it. It seems like such a standard setting that should be available.

I hardly had a look at the launcher. Did my standard thing of installing Nova and restoring my backup. I'm just too used to my gestures on the home screen with Nova now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

If you're on nougat check out display scaling in settings, you can set everything smaller.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    If you're on nougat check out display scaling in settings, you can set everything smaller.

It only lets you set it higher. It has three settings of which the display lets you have 4 icons across at the lowest which was the default prior to N.

Has anyone got the battery mod? I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it today. Battery life for me is passable, but would be nice to not have to worry about lasting a day.

Edit: Ordered for next day delivery.

If anyone is thinking of getting the battery mod, here are my initial thoughts:

Mod came dead in the box. As it has to be charged on the phone, I think total charge time was something like 1.5 hours, with the phone starting pretty low as well. The phone charges quickly first, and then the speed on the mod increases once the phone is charged.

The mod adds a bit of bulk, but nothing too crazy. It's something I got used to pretty quickly. It also feels a bit nicer in hand, with a curved back and rubbery texture. I'd say the phone feels less likely to slip out of your hand.

Overall, I went for about 24 hours with 25% left. I had everything on auto, nothing disabled, and used it pretty heavily. I used the efficiency mode where the phone drops down to 80%, and then the mod holds the phone at 80% until it's depleted, then the phone continues to drop. The battery stats are messed up, as far as I can tell.....I think the constant small charging cycles affects it. I'll try to use a custom start point on GSAM after my next charge, and see how it looks. One interesting thing is that the mod dropped from 20% charge to flat overnight. I don't know if there was a rogue app draining battery, or this is normal. Normally the Z sleeps like a baby overnight, and wouldn't drain. I'll keep an eye on that tonight.

One good thing is that the whole camera area is recessed with the mod on, so it feels a lot more protected. I always feel like that area would be prone to scratching with only a style mod on the back.

If you're struggling with battery life, I'd recommend it. I'll probably keep it on my device all the time, as I don't really seem to use the speaker mod.

The battery mod has dropped to £47.95 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KM1ZRYU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493471923&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=incipio+moto+z&dpPl=1&dpID=31Et5lip-HL&ref=plSrch

I don't use mine all the time, but find it handy for days like yesterday where I was out of the house from the morning and knew it would be a late one. It's now the next afternoon and I'm still on 30% battery.

Basil3 wrote: »
    The battery mod has dropped to £47.95 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KM1ZRYU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493471923&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=incipio+moto+z&dpPl=1&dpID=31Et5lip-HL&ref=plSrch

I don't use mine all the time, but find it handy for days like yesterday where I was out of the house from the morning and knew it would be a late one. It's now the next afternoon and I'm still on 30% battery.

Did you parcel motel yours?

Thanks for the heads up

Did you parcel motel yours?

Thanks for the heads up

Yeah, parcel motel.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, parcel motel.

The address wont be accepted on Amazon, have contact PM support.

Looking forward to getting this (again), hopefully I wont nuke it before getting to use it this time :)

Not letting me buy it!! :(

Parcel Motel think it is because it has a lithium battery

Not letting me buy it!! :(

Parcel Motel think it is because it has a lithium battery

Strange, I got it sent to PM less than a month ago

Edit: just checked and you're right, won't let me order again to parcel motel or parcel wizard

• Advertisement

For those that have this phone and are not using it I just wanted to point out how much DayDream has picked up recently.

The game releases of late such as exclusive titles like Virtual, Virtual Reality, Eclipse Edge of light and Keep Talking no one explodes (made available on DD) are on a different level to the games previously available.

They seem to be finally putting money into it with many positive announcements of late like this one.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15614274/google-daydream-vr-owlchemy-labs-acquisition-job-simulator

Decent selection of DayDream specific experiences and apps now available in the store with more joining all the time.

Even just for watching stuff on Netflix which is great in the VR environment. Lying down in bed watching a full cinema screen on the ceiling is quite a great viewing experience.

Advertisement