Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Moto Z & Z Force Thread - - - - -

Options
  • 10-06-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

The Moto Z and Moto Z Force were just announced.

Moto-Z-Front_Back-Combo-ed.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

The Moto Z is 5.2mm thin, and it's made from "aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel". It has a 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED touchscreen, Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 SoC, 4GB of RAM, and 32 or 64GB of expandable storage. The rear camera is a 13 MP unit with laser autofocus, OIS and dual-tone LED flash, while the selfie shooter is a 5 MP affair with a wide-angle lens.

The handset has a fingerprint scanner, and a water-repellant coating. It's kept running by a 2,600 mAh battery which can charge very quickly - up to 8 hours of use delivered with just 15 minutes of charging. The connector is USB Type-C. The Moto Z runs Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

The Moto Z Force is thicker at 6.99mm, but that means it can pack a bigger, 3,500 mAh battery, a higher-res camera, and a shatter-proof display. It's got a 21 MP shooter with f/1.8 aperture on the back with phase detection autofocus, while keeping the laser autofocus and OIS features from the Z. Otherwise, the two phones are identical, including the fact that neither has a 3.5mm headset jack. Motorola will include a USB Type-C to 3.5mm adapter in the box, though.

The main selling point of both Moto Z devices is their support for the new MotoMods. These are modular accessories that simply snap onto the phones' backs thanks to some powerful magnets. They connect using those 16 "magical" dots you can see on the lower part of the rear of the Z and Z Force.

Available in December. No pricing announced yet.

Moto Z Specs

Moto Z Force Specs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Moto Z Force Specs

Operating System
    Android™ 6.0.1, Marshmallow

System Architecture/Processor
    Motorola Mobile Computing System, including Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 820 processor with up to 2.2 GHz CPU Quad-core CPU and Adreno 530 GPU Natural Language Processor Contextual Computing Processor

Memory (RAM)
    4GB LPDDR4⁶

Storage (ROM)
    32GB/64GB UFS, microSD Card support (up to 2 TB)⁶

Dimensions
    Height: 155.9 mm
    Width: 75.8 mm
    Depth: 6.99 mm

Weight
    163g (5.8 oz)

Display
    5.5” AMOLED
    1440p Quad HD (2560 x 1440)
    535 ppi
    ShatterShield™

Battery
    Mixed usage up to 40 hours (3500 mAh)³
    TurboPower™ for up to 15 hours of power in 15 minutes of charging⁴

Water Protection
    Water repellent nano-coating⁵

Networks
    4G LTE (Cat 9)
    CDMA / EVDO Rev A
    UMTS / HSPA+
    GSM / EDGE

Bands (by model)
    CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
    GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

SIM Card
    Nano-SIM

Sensors
    Fingerprint sensor
    Accelerometer
    Ambient Light
    Gyroscope
    Hall Effect
    Magnetometer
    Proximity

NFC
    Yes

Rear Camera
    21 MP
    ႒/1.8 aperture
    Optical Image Stabilization (OIS)
    Laser Autofocus
    Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF)
    Zero Shutter Lag
    Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) flash with dual LEDs
    1.12um pixel with Deep Trench Isolation (DTI)
    Professional mode
    Quick Capture
    Best Shot
    Scan barcodes, QR codes and Business cards
    Google Photos integration with free original file size backup for two years
    Shutter button or tap anywhere to capture
    8X digital zoom
    Burst mode
    Auto Night mode
    Auto HDR
    Closed loop processing
    Panorama
    Drag to focus & exposure
    Video Stabilization
    1080p HD video (30 fps and 60 fps)
    4K video (30fps)
    Slow Motion video
    Video HDR (1080p and 4K)

Front Camera
    5 MP
    ႒/2.2 aperture
    Wide-Angle lens
    Flash
    1.4um big pixel for better low light
    Auto Night mode
    Beautification software
    Professional mode

Connectivity
    Moto Mods™ connector
    USB-C port for headphones, charging and data transfer
    3.5mm to USB-C headphone port adapter included

Bluetooth® Technology
    Bluetooth version 4.1 LE

Wi-Fi
    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz with MIMO

Speakers/Microphones
    Front-ported loud speaker
    4-Mics

Video Capture
    1080p (60 fps); 4K (30 fps)

Location Services
    A-GPS

Base Colors
    Black with Lunar Grey trim, Black front lens
    Black with Rose Gold trim, Black front lens
    Fine Gold, White front lens
    Available colors may vary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Look at that great big hump on the back. Reminds me of the hunch back of Notre Dame. It also reminds me of a cyclops with that big eye glaring back at me. The problem with this phone is that it is gonna be F'ing expensive. I do like it since it has a uniqueness about it and those plug and play additional power packs which are interesting.

Look at that great big hump on the back. Reminds me of the hunch back of Notre Dame. It also reminds me of a cyclops with that big eye glaring back at me. The problem with this phone is that it is gonna be F'ing expensive. I do like it since it has a uniqueness about it and those plug and play additional power packs which are interesting.

It looks big because the phone is so thin. It wouldn't be noticeable with a motomod attached to it.

It'll be priced in line with other flagships from other established brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Design is a bit fugly in my opinion. Disappointing follow up if its supposed to be the follow up to the Moto X.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Design is a bit fugly in my opinion. Disappointing follow up if its supposed to be the follow up to the Moto X.

I think its good looks wise for motorola, considering their previous phones designs. They were never known for making good looking phones.

• Advertisement

That's the thing though I really liked the design of the 2015 Moto x pure. The latest android central podcast is all about the Moto Z, just finished listening to it there, its worth a listen.

Couple of interesting points, apparently Motorola said at the launch that the Moto X was always what they regarded the quintessential smartphone to be but now the market has reached saturation, makes sense to me now why the design is now a bit left field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blackstar2081

I for one think that its a really, really nice looking design, but I think thats because I would buy a moto mod day one if I was to buy this phone.
    For me, the biggest problem with my current phone (LG G3), is the battery life, so the idea of having a moto z force and a battery pack sounds fine by me! Over 5000 mah for the phone then, without being too thick :)

When you add that to the fact that Samsung with the A9 Pro is also coming out with a 5000mah battery.....I think we may see more phones over the year with bigger batteries......thank god.
    I really hope that it goes well for Motorola. This is a much, much better way of doing it than the LG G5 (which looks like a terrible phone).

So what do you guys think I should do?
    Hold off, and get the z force, or pick up the A9 (normal edition), or wait for the samsung a9 pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Moto Z Force Specs
    Bands (by model)
    CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
    GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

No 4G LTE Band 20 (800MHz) - forget it! :rolleyes:

On gsmarena it says '- USA' after the lte specs so maybe that applies to the us model only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really like the look of this, getting massive praise around battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Meh, not going to be available on Irish networks I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AngryLips wrote: »
    Meh, not going to be available on Irish networks I imagine

Argos sold the Moto X Play and the Moto G and E are sold by a few networks so ya never know. Not mad on the camera bump but the front looks great and a gazillion times better looking than the Pixel line.

Venom wrote: »
    Argos sold the Moto X Play and the Moto G and E are sold by a few networks so ya never know. Not mad on the camera bump but the front looks great and a gazillion times better looking than the Pixel line.

Emailed Argos on this, this morning.

Z Play plus battery mod = happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

naughtb4 wrote: »

Can't see it on their website is it available anywhere in ireland at the moment?

naughtb4 wrote: »

Their take on modular parts is the best one yet but until a universal standard is set up, they will probley only last the lifetime of the phone with in tech terms is just 1 year.

For modular parts to work, even basic stuff like a phones width and height need to stay the same from one year to the next and across all brands, which I just don't see happening.

Patww79 wrote: »

I guess its a catch 22 situation in that until modular addon's become cheaper and sell well, not many third party companies will make them and until there is alot of choice customers wont adopt the idea.

Realistically, it will be the likes of Samsung that could push the concept of modular parts due to the massive market share they have but the standard will need to be open just like CD, DVD and Bluray formats are.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

Anyone know where the moto z play can be purchased in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Tom123 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the moto z play can be purchased in Ireland?

Seen one on Amazon for £360 so probably about 400 euro. Looking for the force myself. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Moto-Play-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B01LYV6UOB/ref=sr_1_2?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1477208584&sr=1-2&keywords=moto+z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

will the z force work with my meteor sim??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Bit the bullet and bought a Moto Z(not Force). Ordered from Amazon(Motorola themselves are notoriously difficult to deal with), and have gone for the additional battery mod. Not sure if many here were interested in buying the Moto Z, but just unsure due to lack of legitimate feedback. Have struggled to find anyone in Ireland who has bought it. Will post my thoughts once it's arrived and had a bit of use.

Have the Z Play at home awaiting Christmas, very much looking forward to it.

Will be picking up a battery mod as well. Surprised at the lack of traction, is a very well reviewed phone

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Even without the Mod, battery lasts for days.

Fair to say Amazon is the only way to buy one at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Howdy all, Amazon is indeed the only place to buy. There was some tacky Irish-based site I found who had it listed at nearly 800 (seems like they literally buy and re-sell the phone), but that's neither here nor there.

The phone is a dream. Battery life I find to be very good, might have to charge it every 30-35 hours. Wouldn't be a flat-out user but get plenty of data use, watching of videos and general browsing done per day. If cameras are your thing, the one on this phone is bitching, very impressed but not a big interest of mine so I can't go into detail.

General speed, as to be expected, is a beauty.

Never spent large on a phone before, but for me it's well worth it. Albeit, I may have a bit of a soft spot for the Moto range, having had 2 older models.

• Advertisement

It came out top of 10 phones in Android Authoritys best of 2016 for cameras, probably the only reason im currently holding on to my S7 at the moment, so it's food for thought.

Advertisement