Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 3/4 Marathon (Formerly Athlone 3/4) Sun 9th Oct 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Everyone all set for Sunday ?
    Weather looks to be ok for it.

I am curious to find out how I get one, this will be the longest distance I have ever ran in my life by 2km when I complete it (hopefully)
    Part of my building up to the Dublin city marathon, its getting real now !

Best of luck to everyone taking part.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No number transfers permitted for this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Excuseless, just FYI that the briefing pack is not available at the link below.

http://irish3quartermarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2016_I3Q_RaceBriefingPack.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I was trying to get a late entry to this race but was not successful :( .

I am based in South Dublin and thinking of doing the Ferns HM tomorrow if nothing comes back from the 3/4 race organisers, does anyone know if you can register for the Ferns HM on the morning of the race as I can't seem to enter on line. I tried the mobile number on the site but no reply so far??

BTW, I normally enter races in plenty of time, but for family reasons I couldn't commit to races this summer.

Best of luck to any Boardies doing the 3/4 tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Plan has me down for final 20 miler... So hoping my garmin measures the course long;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

sideswipe wrote: »
    Looking forward to this tomorrow. Plan has me down for final 20 miler... So hoping my garmin measures the course long;)

You could do 0.34 of a mile jog as a warm up if you really want to make up the distance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Figlen

Quick question regarding the pacers. I have always understood that a long slow run should be run somewhere around 1 min per mile slower than your target pace for a marathon. According to the race pack that was sent out the other day, the pacer for people targeting 3:30 for the marathon will be going at around 8:30min per mile pace. The pace for 3:30 is 8 min per mile, so the pacer for the race tomorrow is a bit quick, no? Pace should be closer to 9 min per mile. Am I being an idiot here (possible)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Figlen wrote: »
    Quick question regarding the pacers. I have always understood that a long slow run should be run somewhere around 1 min per mile slower than your target pace for a marathon. According to the race pack that was sent out the other day, the pacer for people targeting 3:30 for the marathon will be going at around 8:30min per mile pace. The pace for 3:30 is 8 min per mile, so the pacer for the race tomorrow is a bit quick, no? Pace should be closer to 9 min per mile. Am I being an idiot here (possible)?

well by way of example, I'll be pacing the 3 hr target guys. We'll be going at 4:30 min/kilometer pace. Thats about 15s slower than MP. Save your race pace for the day or if you feel strong in the closing stages up it to race pace then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

well by way of example, I'll be pacing the 3 hr target guys. We'll be going at 4:30 min/kilometer pace. Thats about 15s slower than MP. Save your race pace for the day or if you feel strong in the closing stages up it to race pace then.

Out of curiosity SJ, why 15 seconds slower than MP, is that advisable for anyone running Dublin in 3 weeks?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one, folks.....ENJOY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Well done to the organisers on this one. Really enjoyed the route. Undulating with the odd small climb/descent. ideal weather conditions, massive spread both during and after race of fruit, cake, tayto sandwiches, sweets, tea/coffee. All greatly appreciated. Water in bottles and cups! Now officially the taper can begin. Will definitely run this one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Out of curiosity SJ, why 15 seconds slower than MP, is that advisable for anyone running Dublin in 3 weeks?

TbL

Sorry SJ, I was confused. I see you're a km man!

Excellent pacing today, you brought a big group home.

TbL

Tayto sandwiches are definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

First time doing this race and was very impressed. I liked the course although that climb on 17 miles was a bit nasty and it was a perfect morning for running. Now it's taper time. When will the official times be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

PaulieC wrote: »
    Tayto sandwiches are definitely the way to go.

Damn it. Had to head off straightaway. If I'd known about the sambos :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Thanks to all for the positive feedback after today's race.
    As always with a new venue we learned some ways to do things a bit differently but event went very well in general and we think the 3/4 M definitely has found it's new home

Just in at dusk after sweeping the signs off the course and Fair Dues to the vast majority of participants who disposed of bottles and gel packets intelligently (at bins / Km/ Mile signs or marshals) so we could have an efficient clean up which is vital to ensure local community support

Results have been on Red Tag since this afternoon
    http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Irish3QuarterMarathon2016.xls
    Any timing queries to info@redtagtiming.com

Great job from the pacers too I hear so thanks to some boardies who were involved and best of luck to all in DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Mr Stew and I had a super bunch in the 4 hour group and we really enjoyed today. The new route is super and what an absolute gift of a day weather-wise.
    Tayto sandwiches and cup of tea were YUM!
    Well done to all who ran and extra special thanks to Excuseless and his wonderful crew today.
    It was great to catch up briefly with lots of boardsies before the run today, I hope it went great for all.

Roll on Dublin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bravo to Excuseless and his crew, made my job very easy. Marshals were excellent and vocal with there support to runners, how a race should be ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb event today - very well organised.

Sooooo many positives today that have been said already here & on FB - the Crisp sambos' were a masterstroke at the end.

My only gripe was the start - I was corralled into a car park and then noticed the race had started with my pace group well ahead of me. A small thing to rectify next year, but that aside - it was a suberbly organised event - loved the on-course treats and the signage was 1st class - never a doubt where I was going.
    Nice finishing chute too.

Well done to all volunteers - young and old - this has the makings of a fantastic event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

That was the best race I've ever taken part in even though I wasn't as fit as I'd like to have been for it.

1, 5 euro off being on boards.ie
    2, Great location for parking and plenty of it for hundreds more
    3, Lovely fit and colour t-shirt - love the 'eyeball the wall' on the back of it
    4, Really well organised staff at registration
    5, Queue was grand indoors for toilet, loads of T-roll as well
    6, Really nice community out on the course with loads of encouragement
    7, Small bottles with lids and segments of fruit meant I didnt have to bother with second gel.
    8, Well thought out last 7km which gave those doing the marathon a good practive session
    9, Great finish with lots support
    10, Easy to get back out of village and onto main road

Negatives
    1, My own fault - missed my turn which added 17km to my trip
    2, The gun went off and some people were still inside the front yard waiting area
    3, Race started a bit late but thats very understandable for a new race
    4, Were 3.40 pacers missing? I was going to use them to go at LSR pace but was glad I didn't in the end.

I can only compare the generosity and value for money with probably Raheny 5 miler. Really outstanding.

• Advertisement

joesoap5 wrote: »
    4, Were 3.40 pacers missing? I was going to use them to go at LSR pace but was glad I didn't in the end.

There were no 3:40 pacers.

My only gripe was the start - I was corralled into a car park and then noticed the race had started with my pace group well ahead of me.

From what I could see, you were engrossed in chatting and not paying attention when the race started. That's possibly something else to rectify next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

From what I could see, you were engrossed in chatting and not paying attention when the race started. That's possibly something else to rectify next year :D

I was admiring Seans hair. :pac:

I was admiring Seans hair. :pac:

hard not to do, I'll give you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

There were no 3:40 pacers.

I know but they were advertised on the website for 4.30 marathon. Unless I'm going bananas

Great event, was enjoying it up to 27k or so , then the fatigue and calf muscle started to act up, the climbs to the finish almost killed me.
    First time in a race I had to part walk /part run towards the end, glad to see the finish line.
    Makes a nice refreshing change to do a longer run away from your local stomping ground and also away from racing in the phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I have to say i love the running socks from this race. Wore them on a long run yesterday and they felt fantastic. Another plus for this race ��

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

This was an excellent event, so well organised. I really enjoyed it and hope to be back next year. Well done to all involved.

Any discounts codes knocking about for this years entry ? It popped up on my facebood feed earlier that the next early bird offer expires on 1st April.
    I tried last years code "BOARDS " but no success :D

Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement