Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAst minutes tips for tomorrow any one?

Options
  • 07-06-2016 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

What should i concentrate on and not concentrate on for tomorrow's English, Paper 1 - H & O exam??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Was in your position 3 years ago , best of luck. If your like me run down to the butchers get some supplies and have a bbq, helping the nerves will stand to you a lot more than cramming for paper 1.
    If you want to cram then just work on your exam strategy , timing etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Leave red or green biros and Tippex at home. This applies to all exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

spurious wrote: »
    Leave red or green biros and Tippex at home. This applies to all exams.

Why red? We're told constantly to write quotes in red unless it's part of the sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Giotar wrote: »
    Why red? We're told constantly to write quotes in red unless it's part of the sentence

quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

tonyheaney wrote: »
    quotes?

huh? as in poetry quotes, comparative quotes, single text quotes. Even quotes in the P1 comprehension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

huh? as in poetry quotes, comparative quotes, single text quotes. Even quotes in the P1 comprehension

Yeah same here, I was told just don't use green

We were also told use blue and red in Business.

daraghwal wrote: »
    Yeah same here, I was told just don't use green

We were also told use blue and red in Business.

I may just do a mr.bean and bring a few hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Red and green biro is used by the people correcting and rechecking your scripts. You're making their job much easier if you stick with blue and black pen only when doing your exams.

Re: Paper 1

I was told there's not much study for this as they ask for comprehending. Who has done this? What are you studying right now for it? Are you studying? zv4rr4.jpg

• Advertisement

Ill give her a look thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Dont stress, not the end of the world be happy its not worth worrying about

Do we have to be there a certain amount of time before the exam? Is there a certain time e.g. 10 mins before the exam that they open the doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Get good sleep and eat some good food. Bring a small snack. Energy helps you think and stay in a positive mood.
    If you get nervous. Long slow non forced belly breaths. Use your nose.
    Stay chilled.

Write down anything you can remember on paper when you go in, Don't think you need to wait for the test to start, ask the examiner.

Do we have to be there a certain amount of time before the exam? Is there a certain time e.g. 10 mins before the exam that they open the doors?

I was told to be there at 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

You have to be there half an hour before the exam starts on your first day, then 15 minutes for all subsequent exams.

there's isn't much to cram for paper 1 is here?

there's isn't much to cram for paper 1 is here?

No, not really for paper 1 no.

For maths do we need to bring our own log tables or are they supplied? I think they are supplied. Just making sure! We use our own mathematical sets though don't we?

log books I'm told are supplied mats set we bring ourselves gray there mind as some contain innocent answers

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

No, not really for paper 1 no.

For maths do we need to bring our own log tables or are they supplied? I think they are supplied. Just making sure! We use our own mathematical sets though don't we?

Log tables are supplied. Sets aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Because they are the colours used by Examiners and Advising Examiners when correcting. I can't believe teachers are not telling students this.
    If you want to use quotes, put them in quotation marks.

Just use blue and black pen and don't use Tippex. If you are using a gel pen, make sure it is not going through the page, as in transit it can soak into the page below and make a terrible mess. Likewise do not use pencil for writing answers and it can smudge or fade in transit/storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Jesus, don't change your pen colour to write quotes.

At this point, only one piece of advice really matters: Do your best while you're in there and put it behind you once you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

My English teacher last year made us rule our pages with a red line and ruler every single time we started a new page. She also made us write out the names of our texts in green pen (for comparative) and write out any quotations with red pen (on a fresh line) and we had to make sure to write it exactly as it was written in the book (if the author ran out of room and moved to a new line we had to do the same). If any essay we handed up wasn't ruled perfectly with a red pen and ruler it'd be handed back. Bit crazy she was. None of her 'guidelines' will be used tomorrow anyway.

Can i ask is there a website that has peoples essays on them? Id like to read what people have written about Kings speech, foster and plough and stars. It may spark some creativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Can i ask is there a website that has peoples essays on them? Id like to read what people have written about Kings speech, foster and plough and stars. It may spark some creativity

there's a bunch of tossers who sell their essays online for exorbitant prices (cough cough 625points.com, cough cough studyclix "premium" access") but you really should run out and splurge on a Key notes book if you're doing those texts.

I have the books and I have read them but I'm not the most creative person in the world. My creationism comes spur of the moment and at the last seconds as opposed to weeks of planning lol Drives my wife NUTs!!! I could spend the whole day doing nothing (which really happens with kids around) and then BANG end of the day 5 minutes before closing time Its last orders in the bar and i come up with something mad amazing and has to be done there and

Does that makes since???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I have the books and I have read them but I'm not the most creative person in the world. My creationism comes spur of the moment and at the last seconds as opposed to weeks of planning lol Drives my wife NUTs!!! I could spend the whole day doing nothing (which really happens with kids around) and then BANG end of the day 5 minutes before closing time Its last orders in the bar and i come up with something mad amazing and has to be done there and

Does that makes since???
    you have a wife!!!! There's something incredibly cool about having a wife and doing the Leaving Cert at the same time. You'll have a lot more to write about, for sure!

TSMGUY wrote: »
    you have a wife!!!! There's something incredibly cool about having a wife and doing the Leaving Cert at the same time. You'll have a lot more to write about, for sure!

And kids hahaha I'm betting you thought i was a spotty teen hahhhahaha brought a smile to an other wise nervous person lol

• Advertisement

what should i bring for tomorrow re: pens pencils rulers???

Advertisement