Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If.

OP hasn't said for sure yet
    :o

All OP has to do is complain that mail isn't reaching its destination and then the postman has to deliver, or loose his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

my3cents wrote: »
    All OP has to do is complain that mail isn't reaching its destination and then the postman has to deliver, or loose his job.

Don't think that it's that simple. IF the postie KNOWS that a person is no longer residing at an address, I don't think he could lose his job for not delivering. It's not black and white as Gerard2210 said some people might pick and choose what to accept. As My3cents also posts if no complaints are made about post being delivered (for the person who has left) then it's unlikely to ever cause a problem. Is this a a very localised case in a rural area where it's common knowledge that a person has left?

* on the subject of knowledge I think it was the smaller post offices who brought the children's allowance 'irregularities' attention of social welfare ie non locals claiming child benefit every 6 months and not known in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think you missed the whole point of this thread. OP is asking in what ways would AN POST not deliver the mail, as she believes the mail hasn't been rerouted. She suspects its from gossip but she has confirmed its not gossip. So we are pointing out ways that this can happen.
    The named person could have contacted AN Post. A family member could have contacted An Post. The local priest could have informed them. There are so many possibilities. It hasn't been established that the local postman has done anything wrong here. If the named person has been part of a scandal a crime they may be rejecting the mail due to hate mail.
    As always here on boards there is only half of the story. Long story short OP hasn't established that An Post or the postman has done anything wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

I think you missed the whole point of this thread. OP is asking in what ways would AN POST not deliver the mail, as she believes the mail hasn't been rerouted. She suspects its from gossip but she has confirmed its not gossip. So we are pointing out ways that this can happen.
    The named person could have contacted AN Post. A family member could have contacted An Post. The local priest could have informed them. There are so many possibilities. It hasn't been established that the local postman has done anything wrong here. If the named person has been part of a scandal a crime they may be rejecting the mail due to hate mail.
    As always here on boards there is only half of the story. Long story short OP hasn't established that An Post or the postman has done anything wrong

Local Garda, maybe, but local priest ? :confused: How would they have any authority ?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

My question was, and remains, can An Post cease delivering mail to an individual without that individual's instruction, or without an instruction from somebody residing at that address.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And I think you got a clear answer: yes, if the name is an essential component of the address (as is often the case in rural areas); otherwise no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Foggy Jew wrote:
    My question was, and remains, can An Post cease delivering mail to an individual without that individual's instruction, or without an instruction from somebody residing at that address.

How do you know the the person no longer living at the address didn't ask an post. You still haven't answered this?

How do you know the the person no longer living at the address didn't ask an post. You still haven't answered this?

Because he has confirmed this to me, verbally, by email & by a signed letter. He has also emailed & written to An Post confirming no instruction was ever given to An Post & requesting a resumption of deliveries. An Post are refusing to do this, as they say ..... (Wait for it)..... He is no longer residing at the address.

This post has been deleted.
    Believe me, I have. First I was told that a redirection was in place. When I queried this, they said 'Oops - sorry! No redirection is actually in place. But that doesnt really matter, because we know he's not living there'.

• Advertisement

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Because he has confirmed this to me, verbally, by email & by a signed letter. He has also emailed & written to An Post confirming no instruction was ever given to An Post & requesting a resumption of deliveries. An Post are refusing to do this, as they say ..... (Wait for it)..... He is no longer residing at the address.

Obviously we don't have the full story. Would the police have called looking for him & told he's not living there?
    Same question TV license inspector

Would anybody refused registered mail cos it was a summons?

I'm just plucking straws here:o

Believe me, I have. First I was told that a redirection was in place. When I queried this, they said 'Oops - sorry! No redirection is actually in place. But that doesnt really matter, because we know he's not living there'.

Get on to comreg then they are the regulator for this area and have a history with An Post regarding delivery addresses, maybe they will look at this case and see it as one they can win.

To make the matter more cut and dry send a few letters with the correct Eircode because once an Eircode is used the mail is supposed to be delivered to the unique Eircode address and the addressees name becomes irrelevant. Those happen to be An Posts own rules according to my postman.

Get on to comreg then they are the regulator for this area and have a history with An Post regarding delivery addresses, maybe they will look at this case and see it as one they can win.

To make the matter more cut and dry send a few letters with the correct Eircode because once an Eircode is used the mail is supposed to be delivered to the unique Eircode address and the addressees name becomes irrelevant. Those happen to be An Posts own rules according to my postman.

It's sad to say but despite the money it cost to set up An Post still doesn't use Eircode as a rule. There's also nothing in the law to say they have to. The last goverment in their wisdom decided they wouldn't force anyone to use it.:(

There was no crimnal activity. The police were not involved. I have lodged a complaint with Comreg, and copied them with all correspondence.
    I posted my original query here to see if anybody knew what An Post's official line is.
    My feeling is that a local delivery person cocked up, and instead of putting their hands up & admitting their mistake, An Post are circling the wagons and making me out to be the bad guy.

Clearly nobody on here knows An Post's official policy.
    Perhaps Comreg will clear the matter up.
    I will post (!) again when I hear back from Comreg.

It's sad to say but despite the money it cost to set up An Post still doesn't use Eircode as a rule. There's also nothing in the law to say they have to. The last goverment in their wisdom decided they wouldn't force anyone to use it.:(

Doesn't matter. If the OP can prove that correctly addressed mail that includes a correct Eircode isn't being delivered then An Post will have to be very creative finding an excuse for Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Official policy is that mail has to be delivered as addressed unless instructed by addressee or someone at the address not to deliver. But we don't know why the postie stopped delivering the mail.
    Had a family on my route I knew the son was living at home but every month the meteor bill would be returned to my bench marked "No longer at this address". I could have taken that as a message that they no longer wanted his mail delivered. It was just the meteor bill that was returned never the social welfare cheque.

A family member does not reside at our address any more. He left instructions with me to deal with any mail which came for him. I noticed that no post had arrived for ages, and I phoned An Post, who told me that a Redirection had been put in place by the individual. I checked with the family member, and he assured me that no such redirection was done by him. I reverted to An Post, who said 'Oops, sorry - we made a mistake, you are right. No redirection is in place for this individual'. I enquired why no post was being delivered, and was told that the delivery person knew that the family member no longer resided at the address, so all mail was being returned to sender, marked 'Gone Away'. I followed this up by sending a registered letter to the individual from my workplace, and lo and behold, it was returned marked 'Gone Away'. I complained to the Customer Services Dept, the Consumer Advocate and to ComReg, all of whom told me that as I was not the intended recipient of the mail, they could not discuss the matter with me. When I pointed out to the Customer Services Dept that this family member had mental health issues, I was told that in view of this, they would not accept any communication from him, unless it was authenticated and witnessed. (He now lives in Aisa).
    Then I took another tack, and resubmitted my complaint, stating that I, as a Postal Service user, wanted to complain that the registered letter I had sent was not delivered to the intended recipient, I was told that 'As it is known that the individual no longer resides at the address, the letter was returned to sender'.
    Nobody at this address informed An Post that this family member doesn't live here anymore. No instruction was given by my family member to cease delivering mail. They keep using non specific words like 'It is known'... and refuse to tell me how 'it is known'...... because I am not the intended recipient.
    Both I and my family member are really aggrieved by this.
    Anybody got any suggestions where I should go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

"Hello, I'm Bob, the intended recipient, and I'd like to complain that my post isn't being delivered..."

The person on the phone won't know (or particularly care) if you're Bob or not. Just say you're Bob and you're home and you'd like to get your post please.

If they've actually made a note on his "account" (does An Post even have accounts for individuals?) that he has mental health issues, I'd kick up a huge fuss - An Post are not the right people to be storing that kind of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

From reading this there is a possibility that the family member in question may have been in contact with An Post to re-direct the mail without your knowledge, this is possible and you have to be open that this happened.

If the family member is now living in Asia , why is this a big deal?

Ok - Sorry. I suppose I should have continued on the old thread. This is a big deal because it seems that An Post will take the word of any Tom Dick or Harry that Bob no longer lives in Number 59, and will just stop delivering his letters. Does this mean that I can ring An Post & say Kravmaga no longer lives Chez Kravmaga & they will take my word for it????? Also - my 'Bob' left a pile of unfinished business behind him, which I was attempting to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

Ok - Sorry. I suppose I should have continued on the old thread. This is a big deal because it seems that An Post will take the word of any Tom Dick or Harry that Bob no longer lives in Number 59, and will just stop delivering his letters. Does this mean that I can ring An Post & say Kravmaga no longer lives Chez Kravmaga & they will take my word for it????? Also - my 'Bob' left a pile of unfinished business behind him, which I was attempting to sort out.

same situation a few back,

you could ring your local "mail center" and explain to them,

they could then offer you or your ex-flatmate a re-direction service,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I'm having a similar issue The post men work on 'local knowledge' and 'asking around'. ( the neber thought to ask at the house o The a dress of The letter) The sysyems fecked.

kravmaga wrote: »
    From reading this there is a possibility that the family member in question may have been in contact with An Post to re-direct the mail without your knowledge, this is possible and you have to be open that this happened.

?

I have written confirmation from Bob that he didn't put a redirection in place. An Post confirmed this, after first telling me that he HAD done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Meanwhile - does anybody have any suggestions?

Yes, sure.

The family member is not at the address. Mind your own business.

Harsh, but with the correct letters of authorisation or power of attorney you can act as their representative. Without that, I'm afraid you're simply a busy body who may be contributing to said family member's health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does this mean that I can ring An Post & say Kravmaga no longer lives Chez Kravmaga & they will take my word for it?????

In the bog, probably. Some of these staff are probably lifers that listened in on your phone calls under P&T in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

bonyn wrote: »
    Meanwhile - does anybody have any suggestions?

Yes, sure.

Harsh, but with the correct letters of authorisation or power of attorney you can act as their representative. Without that, I'm afraid you're simply a busy body who may be contributing to said family member's health issues.
    The family member is using it as his postal address in ireland. The busy body postman had no right in the first place to start returning post to sender.

bonyn wrote: »
    Yes, sure.

But I DO have a Power of Attornry, drawn up in Asia, which An Post won't accept because it is 'foreign', and I DO have letters of authorisation from Bob, which An Post won't accept, because they are not authenticated & notarised (on account of the mental health issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sure you could have made those at home in fairness.

Why didn't he sort out this before leaving?

Its up to you to provide the information they require, he's not at the address anymore, you know this, they know this. What's the problem?

Surely any post that's important he would have sorted out?
    More to this story than we're being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Your answers are right there,you wrote them yourself, get what's legally required in this country and it will be sorted.. no pun intended.

Then it's solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged together for continuity and off-topic posts removed.

May I please remind posters to use the Report Post function rather than commenting on thread?

dudara

Advertisement