Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 7 "The Broken Man" - "Non book readers"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

lbj666 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what bearing the siege of Riverrun is going to have on the reclamation of Winterfell , surely Blackfish has his hands full and is in no position to help out up North and Brienne is going to be dragged into it now too.

*cough*
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

paulie21 wrote: »
    Has or is GRRM directing an episode this season?

He actually wrote episodes rather than directed them but this season he decided against it to spend more time writing the books. He even cancelled a load of conventions so he should be getting more writing done than he has since the show began.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

eeguy wrote: »
    *cough*
    What?

Brienne & Pod will be on site next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Strangely, he is carrying the Mormont's family sword on his person.

Their former lord gifted Jon that pice of Valeryin steel a few seasons ago.....

that would have been all the convincing the girl needed....
    But I guess the writers wanted Davos to do his "dead are coming" line.

Did that not get given to Ed, as new Lord commander?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Really liked this ep but didn't like how the hound didn't hear one single cry, shout, scream or roar as everyone got killed. I know he was cutting branches but come on. There is little point in trying to reform his character to being a peace-loving villager 'cos it just won't wash.
    Arya only got stabbed in the gut with a thin dagger, so it shouldn't prove mortal but the servants of the many-faced-gods will probably be told she is dead (until one of them sees her in a later season). The waif seems sure a girl is dead even though throwing yourself off a bridge is a sign she has enough strength/wits to not be fatally wounded, so maybe the waif is only toying with her...making her suffer?

I liked this so much Iwill prob watch it again some evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Grudaire wrote: »

I know he gave Ed his lord-commander-bath-robe....
    But I don't remember him handing over that sword.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 foamytalent

Anachrony wrote: »
    The simplest is that there was one Arya in that scene, who anticipated that they'd come after her, was much more prepared for it than she appeared, and faked her death, perhaps using practical effects from the theater troup, and from there there are a few possibilities of what she could be planning.

The next simplest is that there were zero Aryas in that scene. One of them was Jaqen or another Faceless Man, testing the Waif somehow (she seems to be holding a personal grudge, and disobeyed a clear order on how Arya's death should occur), or for whatever unknown reason helping her to escape by faking her death.

The really weird one, which didn't occur to me, is that there were two Aryas in that scene. The Fight Club scenario. Faceless trainee "No One" is metaphorically trying to kill off the old Arya Stark, and this is a normal stage of the Faceless Men process. It would put an interesting spin on those scenes where the Waif was beating up blind Arya in public and everyone ignored it, if it was a crazy girl beating herself up.
    Assuming she isn't going to die, her reaction on getting out of the canal doesn't really fit any of these though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Grudaire wrote: »

I was under the impression that Jeor Mormont gave the sword to Jon Snow as a personal gift, rather than as a symbol of the Lord Commander as it was the Mormont family sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

PressRun wrote: »
    Did anyone think Jon seemed a bit unconvincing as a leader in this episode? I don't know if it's because he's changed now that he's been resurrected or if he is very aware of his status as a bastard when dealing with the northern houses, but he didn't seem incredibly inspiring when speaking to either the Mormonts or the Glovers

Not sure that would have had the intended effect, anyway. You looted my dead uncle's family heirloom and melted it down? Give that back and get the hell out of here.

Assuming she isn't going to die, her reaction on getting out of the canal doesn't really fit any of these though.

Next episode is titled "No One"

She's not going to die.

• Advertisement

I think people are underestimating the High Sparrow
    I think the whole Sparrow business has been incredibly poorly portrayed on GoT. They Tyrells and Lannisters could just squash them any time at a whim. It's a few lads in dirty sheets with sticks.

eeguy wrote: »
    Next episode is titled "No One"

She's not going to die.
    Looks unlikely for sure.
    Unless she was acting after being stabbed "to death"? Hoping it makes sense whatever it is happens next and isn't yet another deus ex machina.

Was this the first episode with a pre-credits scene?
    Kinda took me out of it to be honest. What was the point?

I think the whole Sparrow business has been incredibly poorly portrayed on GoT. They Tyrells and Lannisters could just squash them any time at a whim. It's a few lads in dirty sheets with sticks.

They tried it in the last episode

I suppose the threat is the people would rise against them and oust them.

Wasn't that why they brought the Tyrell army into the city?
    Kinda took me out of it to be honest. What was the point?

So the surprise wouldn't be ruined by Rory McCann's name in the titles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They could.

Then the entirety of King's Landing revolts. What then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Can someone remind me of a few things please;

Why is Jaime partaking in the siege and not back at KL, and what is the context of the siege? If Blackfish doesn't consider the war over, has he just been sitting idle in his castle the entire time?

How big a following do Theon and his sister have - they had to flee the iron islands, right? I'm trying to figure out why and how they think they can make a pact with Daenerys while on the run and not with the full resources of their full fleet.

Was it the brothers without banners who performed the resurrection ritual back in an earlier season? Do they have any main connections to other characters or are they out on their own as such?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

But I guess the writers wanted Davos to do his "dead are coming" line.
    He started to explain he was his steward and I thought he was about to tell about the sword and Lyanna cut him off

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cianos wrote: »

Why is Jaime partaking in the siege and not back at KL, and what is the context of the siege? If Blackfish doesn't consider the war over, has he just been sitting idle in his castle the entire time?

How big a following do Theon and his sister have - they had to flee the iron islands, right? I'm trying to figure out why and how they think they can make a pact with Daenerys while on the run and not with the full resources of their full fleet.

Was it the brothers without banners who performed the resurrection ritual back in an earlier season? Do they have any main connections to other characters or are they out on their own as such?

Thanks!

Blackfish is only after taking the castle back.I think Jaimie was sent there to show the Lannister's still have power.

That was the Brotherhood yeah, no real connection but their leader was originally sent on a mission by Ned to capture the mountain in season one. And the red priest with them was a friend of Robert and Ned.

No idea about Theons boats though, looked only like a few to me but it wouldn't be the first time this show has made a large army look like five people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Blackfish escaped the castle while it was being held by the Walders only to come back and lock them out basically. Walders then went back to siege the castle to try to reclaim it (this was covered in this episodes introduction). What Jaime is doing there is to end the siege because Walders are to incompetent to do it which makes the king look weak by having a rebellion going on in his kingdom.
    Well based on what they shown they have a huge armada of ships sailing away with them but no actual numbers have been mentioned and if all they need is to sail them then that would theoretically be enough (since Dany has the army to do the fighting if needed).
    Was it the brothers without banners who performed the resurrection ritual back in an earlier season?
    Yes.
    Do they have any main connections to other characters or are they out on their own as such?
    They had some connections to some characters in season 1 but are not known to be aligned to any of the current factions we've seen based on their previous history shown in the series (this can obviously have changed but not been shown yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Nody wrote: »
    Blackfish escaped the castle while it was being held by the Walders only to come back and lock them out basically. Walders then went back to siege the castle to try to reclaim it (this was covered in this episodes introduction). What Jaime is doing there is to end the siege because Walders are to incompetent to do it which makes the king look weak by having a rebellion going on in his kingdom.

The Freys not the Walders. Walder Frey is the head of the house.

Tommen sent him last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Blackfish is only after taking the castle back.I think Jaimie was sent there to show the Lannister's still have power.

That was the Brotherhood yeah, no real connection but their leader was originally sent on a mission by Ned to capture the mountain in season one. And the red priest with them was a friend of Robert and Ned.

No idea about Theons boats though, looked only like a few to me but it wouldn't be the first time this show has made a large army look like five people.

Can you advise me what was the background to the mission?Memory a bit foggy of season 1,is it the red woman you speak?I seem to remember she was present with the BWB in season 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can you advise me what was the background to the mission?Memory a bit foggy of season 1,is it the red woman you speak?I seem to remember she was present with the BWB in season 2....

After Catelyn kidnapped Tyrion, some of Tywin's men (including The Mountain) were accused of raiding villages on the Tully's lands in revenge, so Ned (as Hand of the King) sent Beric Dondarion and a bunch of men to bring The Mountain to justice.

After that though, Beric was killed, resurrected and joined the Brotherhood Without Banners. The guy who resurrected Beric every time he died was Thoros, who was a Red Priest (similar to Melisandre).

• Registered Users Posts: 54,987 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, when are Ned Stark and Joffrey due back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nody wrote: »

No, in the show the Blackfish was at the Red Wedding, but escaped. Riverrun was evidently subsequently lost to the Freys offscreen. Blackfish has now re-captured it.
    After that though, Beric was killed, resurrected and joined the Brotherhood Without Banners. The guy who resurrected Beric every time he died was Thoros, who was a Red Priest (similar to Melisandre).

He didn't join the BWB, the group that he led became the BWB after Ned was executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's the last throes of the War of Five Kings.

All the Kings are dead, most of the world has moved on but the war still isn't quite finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

incoming ! the battle of the bastards - artwork

the_north_remembers_by_ertacaltinoz-da1cmqg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

sky88 wrote: »
    bit of a waste of ian mcshane only 1 episode

According to my wife (who reads all the interviews, etc), McShane only took the job on the condition that it was no more than an episode or two - he said he had no interest in being in the show long term and couldn't commit to more than that.

So it's a shame, as he had great screen presence, but not a waste :p

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Jaime was kicked out of King's Landing by Tommen for standing up to the Sparrows when it turned out that he (actually Margaery) was aligning closer to them. The siege isn't particularly critical, but it's an area of active conflict to keep Jaime occupied away from King's Landing.

They stole a large fleet of ships. They don't have a huge army, just enough to minimally crew the ships. Which happens to be ideal for Dany, who has a large army but no ships. They didn't have the full thousand ships on hand that Dany needed, but enough to help.

Yes, that's them. They were creating in season 1, but have been off doing their own thing for most of the show. They've been evolving over time, from when they were created as a small military expedition, to some sort of populist insurgency affiliated with the Red faith, to now something that seems a lot more sinister than last time we met them.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

PressRun wrote: »
    It definitely is for Littlefinger and he won't help them without expecting something in return. He wants the north for himself, imo, and will try and drive a wedge between Sansa and Jon in order to push Jon out of the picture.

Thats what I meant she probably did message him (it would be one of the few people she could bring to the table) I meant for her sake I hope she didn't as Littlefinger is a slimy, jerk, who gave her to a sadistic rapist and of course he knew his treatment of people is well known as is his impulsivity (ffs he gelded Theon and sent his part to his father who himself said what use has he for an heir who can't make heirs). Only an idiot or a desperate person would trust him and I hope shes desperate because otherwise she learned nothing in 6 seasons. He wants to win the game he will use her and Ramsey abused her. He probably wants to marry her and become warden of the North and vale and will take what army is left to take Kings landing.
    mikefoxo wrote: »
    I don't really see why he would. He was living a peaceful life, not a devout one. There's no connection to the High Sparrow or his religion. The BWB weren't sent by Cersei. Plus he would have to travel a great distance in a short time to reach KL for the trial

Maybe because his brother melted his face, is a jerk, deserves it or because his entire lifes ambition was to kill his brother because of the way he treated him.
    flazio wrote: »
    Question: How is the Lady Mormont related to Ser Friendzone?

Hes her Uncle, her mother took over Bear island after her grandfather joined the watch and her Uncle fled to Essos because he sold men into slavery which is forbidden in Westeros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

nicki11 wrote: »
    Thats what I meant she probably did message him (it would be one of the few people she could bring to the table) I meant for her sake I hope she didn't as Littlefinger is a slimy, jerk, who gave her to a sadistic rapist and of course he knew his treatment of people is well known as is his impulsivity (ffs he gelded Theon and sent his part to his father who himself said what use has he for an heir who can't make heirs). Only an idiot or a desperate person would trust him and I hope shes desperate because otherwise she learned nothing in 6 seasons. He wants to win the game he will use her and Ramsey abused her. He probably wants to marry her and become warden of the North and vale and will take what army is left to take Kings landing.

I suppose there is a possibility she might end up double crossing him. Though she looked a bit guilty about writing the letter, so I don't know if she has anything up her sleeve at all. It would be a bit frustrating if she hasn't learned anything at all about Baelish after all this time, and it's equally as frustrating that she is deliberately keeping Jon out of the loop and isn't informing him of her plans so they can work together. She doesn't seem to trust Jon at all, and it all seems to be part of a bigger play by Baelish to have control over her and push Jon out, which started when he reminded her that Jon is only her half-brother. But I don't know why she feels she can't trust Jon but can trust a man who handed her over to a rapist.

Advertisement