Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Best Superhero TV Show Tournament!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a battle this one has been. We're tied at 4-4. Next vote wins it!

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Turtles... why not.. good show as a kid..
    And Batman won everything else..

And on that bombshell...!

After one of the most exciting battles of all the tournaments we've had, a contest which at one point saw Batman: TAS lead 4-2, it is the TMNT that comes back to win 5-4 and reach the final. It also means we won't have a Batman victory this time. :pac:

I didn't expect that tie to be such a slugfest and as it's quite late I'll hold off on posting the second tie until tomorrow evening as I hope to get the second semi-final and the final done in the one evening.

Until next time, stay tuned. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

After the dramatic tie last night, it's time to turn our attention to the second semi-final. And like the other tie, the first show to reach 5 votes will win through.

Our second semi-final is a clash of two modern live-action shows involving DC Comics characters, but only one can advance...

Arrow

neon_0001_large.jpg

VS

The Flash

FLA101f_0878ra-1412365931151_large.jpg

It's the show starring Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen's alter ego, Arrow, taking on the show starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen's alter ego, The Flash.

Which one deserves to reach the final? Cast your votes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Flash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The Flash by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Knowing this was coming, I spent a lot of time weighing up the two shows, and despite its most recent season being a bit more miss than hit, overall I definitely fall down more on the side of Oliver Queen and his gang of vigilante's, so Arrow gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Arrow, once again just about. Partially for the path it paved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arrow for mainly season 2 and Slade Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

arrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

Arrow

Well that wasn't quite on the scale of drama as the first semi-final but it was pretty exciting nonetheless as Arrow comes from 2-0 down to take the tie 5-2 and advance to the final.

We now have our two finalists and I will shortly post up the details of the final, so stay tuned. :cool:

And so, everybody, we come to our final battle.

We started with 64 of the best superhero TV shows and having whittled the numbers down to 32, then 16, then 8, and then 4, we at long last have our two finalists that will compete to be crowned Boards Best Superhero TV Show.

As was the case with previous tournaments, to ensure as much involvement as possible, in this final we will have a 24 hour time limit for receiving votes. Simply put, the superhero TV show with the most votes by this time tomorrow will be our winner!

(Note - as usual, in the event it's a tie after the time limit expires then I will do a Ceann Comhairle job and cast a vote to break the deadlock.)

So then, let us assess our finalists, shall we...?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Path to the Final

Rd 1 - Defeated Legends of Tomorrow
    Rd 2 - Defeated The Incredible Hulk
    Rd of 16 - Defeated Agent Carter
    Q-Finals - Defeated Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
    S-Finals - Defeated Batman: The Animated Series

VS

Arrow

Path to the Final

Rd 1 - Defeated Ultimate Spider-Man
    Rd 2 - Defeated Smallville
    Rd of 16 - Defeated Jessica Jones
    Q-Finals - Defeated Earthworm Jim
    S-Finals - Defeated The Flash

It's a battle of two very different types of heroes in green as the 80s classic animation, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, takes on the critically acclaimed modern live-action show, Arrow.

It's Donatello, Michaelangelo, Leonardo, and Raphael squaring off against Oliver Queen.

Who deserves to be the winner?

Well, it is over to you folks now to determine for us the best superhero TV show. Cast your vote now within 24 hours of our final deadline which is, to be precise, Friday, June 17th, 11:00 p.m. The TV show with the most votes when the time limit expires shall be the champion.

So, for the final time in this tournament, cast your votes now!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

The Turtles for me, favourite show growing up. Still love them today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

TMNT

Arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Arrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

TMNT was a fun show but Arrow has far more depth and gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Turtles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Turtles

Arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Arrow....

The Arrowverse has created some impressive worlds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

TMNT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Arrow, despite the damp squib that was the season 4 finale.

Well, everybody, we have come to the end of what has been perhaps the most dramatic tournament we've had yet. With a whole range of ties that went right to the wire, and a semi-final that turned out to be a 5-4 thriller, it was fitting that the final likewise was decided by a fine margin.

And having started with 64 of the best superhero TV shows, we have found the one that the forum believes to be the best one of all. And that TV show is...

Arrow!

neon_0001_large.jpg

It was a fascinating final contest with the Turtles racing into a 2-0 lead only for Arrow to level it up and then go 3-2 ahead - but then the Turtles levelled and went 5-3 ahead, seemingly on the brink of victory, only for Arrow to peg it back to 5-5. The Turtles would bounce back to go 6-5 in front but Arrow would again make the tie all square, until finally Lithium93's vote for Arrow would prove the difference.

And so with a scoreline of 7-6 it is Arrow that pips Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to take the crown. Over the course of the tournament it saw off nostalgic favourites and modern rivals to emerge victorious.

Had I been called on to give a vote in the event of a tie - something that looked a distinct possibility at one stage - my vote would have gone to TMNT due to the fact I was a massive fan of the show as a kid, with action figures, videos, and everything. But Arrow it is that wins the day and stands tall above the rest.

That then brings the action to a close in this tournament and this one stands out as one of my favourites so my thank you to all participants.

What's next?

We have dealt with films and TV shows the past two tournaments and so I was thinking next time we should follow on from that and deal with actors/actresses themselves - who is the best superhero actor?

Bale, West, Keaton, Affleck or Conroy as best Batman? Christopher Reeve or Henry Cavill as best Superman? Garfield or Maguire for best Spidey? Best Avengers actor? And most importantly, which one out of all of them impresses you most of all?

All these questions and more may be answered in the next tournament I hope to run: Boards Best Superhero Actor.

It will hopefully cause a lot of impassioned debate and I'm hoping to launch this one next Thursday, 23rd June, 2016. I hope to see you there for that.

P.S. A DC Comics win again. :pac:

Another great job Mr.Nice Guy thank you.

Great tournament. Thanks again Mr. Nice Guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Echo the above sentiments, great job Mr. Nice Guy

Advertisement