Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Injured - Junction of Dame St/Sth Great George's Street

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

McAlban wrote: »
    Incidentally I saw a cyclist break the Luas lights northbound on Church St. last night after the Luas had gone down Lincoln Lane and promptly plow into a pedestrian who had a green at the pedestrian lights. My Lights went green, but seemed both were uninjured thankfully.

This kind of interaction between cyclists and pedestrians seems to happen quite often. Its a pity there is no way of recording incidents unless it results in a fatality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Roadhawk wrote: »
    This kind of interaction between cyclists and pedestrians seems to happen quite often. Its a pity there is no way of recording incidents unless it results in a fatality.

It's a pity that you assume that there is no way of recording incidents unless there are fatalities.

It's a pity that you assume that there is no way of recording incidents unless there are fatalities.

Well I have searched many sources for reliable continuous data but cant seem to find any relating to incidents between pedestrians and cyclists in Ireland unless there was a fatality. I dont quite assume there is no way of recording these incidents but I do assume a lot of these incidents go un-reported and therefore unrecorded?

With no data it looks as if there are no incidents but this is clearly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Use of emotive language never helps. "Plow into a pedestrian". Yet both were uninjured.

Imagine someone "ploughed his car into a bus". You'd think he wrecked it. If you found out that the car had little more than a slight scratch, you'd accuse the person of being hysterical.

Instances of pedestrians and cyclists colliding and walking away unscathed are recorded about as often as we record instances where people bang their doors off the car next to them or bounce off a kerb when trying to park. They're unremarkable incidents.

seamus wrote: »
    Use of emotive language never helps. "Plow into a pedestrian". Yet both were uninjured.

Imagine someone "ploughed his car into a bus". You'd think he wrecked it. If you found out that the car had little more than a slight scratch, you'd accuse the person of being hysterical.

Instances of pedestrians and cyclists colliding and walking away unscathed are recorded about as often as we record instances where people bang their doors off the car next to them or bounce off a kerb when trying to park. They're unremarkable incidents.

Please correct me if I am taking this up wrong but you are saying that incidents between cyclists and pedestrians go unreported because they are insignificant due to the fact that in some cases both parties escape unscathed? Banging doors and clipping kerbs are completely irrelevant in this scenario. The scenario that I am talking about being a collision between a cyclists and pedestrian irregardless of who is at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please correct me if I am taking this up wrong but you are saying that incidents between cyclists and pedestrians go unreported because they are insignificant due to the fact that in some cases both parties escape unscathed? Banging doors and clipping kerbs are completely irrelevant in this scenario. The scenario that I am talking about being a collision between a cyclists and pedestrian irregardless of who is at fault.
    That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. They go unreported because nobody was injured, so nobody feels the need to report it. No more than two people bumping into one another.

I'm not sure what your point is. Do you think every instance of two people colliding with each other should come accompanied with a Garda report?

I hope the lady is OK.

this debate is always the same

More cars cause accidents
    A few cyclists make the rest look bad
    maybe pedestrians should be insured
    maybe motorists should wear a helmet
    it is not law to use bike lanes

and on and on, when the simplest statement would be simples to say

the cyclist is never to fault

Its a pity there is no way of recording incidents unless it results in a fatality.
    I dont quite assume there is no way of recording these incidents

Now I'm a bit confused - did you just contradict yourself there?
    Well I have searched many sources for reliable continuous data but cant seem to find any relating to incidents between pedestrians and cyclists in Ireland unless there was a fatality. I dont quite assume there is no way of recording these incidents but I do assume a lot of these incidents go un-reported and therefore unrecorded?

With no data it looks as if there are no incidents but this is clearly not true.

Lots of incidents on the road aren't reported, regardless of cause or fault. The time that the young female student walked out in front of me, catching my handlebar with her handbag strap and taking me down off the bike wasn't reported anywhere, despite causing property damage and minor injury. Most doorings of cyclists aren't reported anywhere. Many minor injuries to pedestrians by drivers aren't reported anywhere.

All serious injuries will reported somewhere for medical treatment, and research has been done on these reports in the past, particularly for bike helmet effectiveness. If you want data on serious injuries, it does exist, though Google won't find it.

But was that really your issue, or was it just another broad dig as part of your anti-cycling agenda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If there's a car accident no one suggests reform all driving laws, insurance, etc. All drivers are the same etc.

Now I'm a bit confused - did you just contradict yourself there?

Lots of incidents on the road aren't reported, regardless of cause or fault. The time that the young female student walked out in front of me, catching my handlebar with her handbag strap and taking me down off the bike wasn't reported anywhere, despite causing property damage and minor injury. Most doorings of cyclists aren't reported anywhere. Many minor injuries to pedestrians by drivers aren't reported anywhere.

All serious injuries will reported somewhere for medical treatment, and research has been done on these reports in the past, particularly for bike helmet effectiveness. If you want data on serious injuries, it does exist, though Google won't find it.

But was that really your issue, or was it just another broad dig as part of your anti-cycling agenda?

Ok without retaliation to your sarcasm and random comment on agendas i will stay on topic and continue the conversation.

Exactly like you mention in your incident with the student...this sort of situation could be happening daily all over Dublin but because it goes unreported and is simply ignored and seen as acceptable. Well its not. These incidents need to be measured and need to be managed to create a safer passage for all road users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Ok without retaliation to your sarcasm and random comment on agendas i will stay on topic and continue the conversation.

Exactly like you mention in your incident with the student...this sort of situation could be happening daily all over Dublin but because it goes unreported and is simply ignored and seen as acceptable. Well its not. These incidents need to be measured and need to be managed to create a safer passage for all road users.

How can something that's not reported be measured? How can you force someone to report something trivial. It'd be like reporting a child drawing on a wall in your estate with chalk as a graffiti.

Deedsie wrote: »

As in should all minor road incidents be reported?
    Hey, why limit it to road incidents? I had a bout of diarrhoea last week, who should I report this to in order to make eating burgers and chips safer for everyone?

Reluctant as I am to give any succour to yer man, there is a serious point here for anyone actually interested in serious points:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/official-statistics-underestimate-cycling-accidents-figures-suggest-406040.html?platform=hootsuite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The problem with the hospital statistics is they include off road cycling accidents, like kids, and off road sports.

But are reported by the media as if its commuting cyclists. As that suits their agenda.

Like accidents, crime is massively unreported. Its not that unusual.

This thread is mostly off topic at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irishman84

He did, and he seemed distraught when the extent of the lady’scondition was seen – it was so horrible to witness, but I knew this was goingto happen sooner or later. If it was achild, or a smaller person I doubt they’d have survived. Not hyperbolae btw – this happened right infront of me.

Hi. I know this thread was made over a year ago. I just never thought of looking if accident was on the news or not. That lady was my mum. Her injuries were very serious and even guards that was investigating it was shocked. My mum still in recovery and most likely never will recover. She suffered stroke like injury and left side of her face is paralysed. I want to say everyone who cycles please be very careful. Guy was going with 29.3 km/h. That is very fast for pedestrian.

Advertisement