Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel shortening, the effects.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

So i might lose a few fps when shirtening the .22 then. I think I can live with that.

Would this technically make some rifles unsuitable for deer hunting with ammo which would ordinarily be just above the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

goz83 wrote: »
    So i might lose a few fps when shirtening the .22 then. I think I can live with that.

Would this technically make some rifles unsuitable for deer hunting with ammo which would ordinarily be just above the cut?

Most 22lrs have burnt all the powder by 12 inchs so in theory a 14 or 16 would be ideal. I had a Volquartsen 12.5 Inch Barrel on a 10/22 and it was an absolute tackdriver!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Almost certainly, but you'd need a chronograph to tell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its caliber specific i think. IOW, as said above, some calibers can deal with or even see slight improvement in a shorter barrel, but all the indicators according to the authors 308 and 223 articles say with centrefires it's not the case.
    I'd imagine so. 220 swift, and 22-250 being the first tow that come to mind.

However barrel length is not an issue when licensing, even though it's addressed in law, so it'll most likely never be an issue.

I just thought it was a good read from the point of view that the short, higher caliber rifles, are actually suffering from shorter barrels. I also noted form the article that the indicated speeds on the boxes of ammo were very close to actual speeds, but only in the 28" barrel version. Most manufacturers use a 24" barrel when testing so if the stated speeds are from a 24" barrel, and the test shows it is most likely only from a longer barrel are the manufacturers using highest/best speed achieved or are not all manufacturers using a 24" barrel when testing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement