Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"That's not an Irish Accent!"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are you sure you had nothing to do with the famine? We were told there was a British fella up in Sligo hoarding crops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

blinding wrote: »
    Jaysus ! Other Irish people are awful nosey altogether;)

Seriously here : Ireland is an Island so we don't mix with other peoples through land borders and the like (Okay the english kept coming over but sure they have no sense at all at all)

You would think that with so may Irish having been emigrants we would know how to behave better but....sure like everywhere in the world we/They have an awful lot of eejits:eek::eek:

Yep there's 70 million of us out there claiming to be Irish. Most of my friends are Polish and English, I'm descended from a WW2 veteran that wanted to keep his family safe during the bombing of England in the second world war, he moved his whole family to Ireland in early 1940 before the Blitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yep there's 70 million of us out there claiming to be Irish. Most of my friends are Polish and English, I'm descended from a WW2 veteran that wanted to keep his family safe during the bombing of England in the second world war, he moved his whole family to Ireland in early 1940 before the Blitz.

Must be some French blood in the line too so!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I was sitting on a train minding my own business and ordering tea from the mobile Bar Sneaceanna when this American goes "Where are you from?"
    "Dublin"

"I thought you were American you need to work on your Irish accent buddy!"

I just said "sure we invented the American accent" and continued to make my tea.

A somewhat asshat thing to say to a random stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

12 years in england and i often got asked where i was from. some people thought i was south african, some american, but most asked where in ireland i was from.

it's not just an irish thing to ask where you're from. it's just conversation.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Must be some French blood in the line too so!! ;)

Id imagine so, he spent 4 years in France and Germany during WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Are you sure you had nothing to do with the famine? We were told there was a British fella up in Sligo hoarding crops.

yeah thats me - although most of the time im starving... thank god the golden arches decided to set up shop in Ireland

yeah thats me - although most of the time im starving... thank god the golden arches decided to set up shop in Ireland

At least you have Supermacs, Id love that over here on the east coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I was having a reasonably discreet pee in London once, when the Police happened upon me and they mistook my Irish accent for a Welsh one . I think they thought I was a Welsh squaddie who apparently can pee where they like in London:eek: They let me on my merry way

Another time I was coming out of a tube station when I am suddenly linked in both arms by one male police officer and one female police officer.

My Irish accent got me out of that one as the Real suspect was definitely not Irish. When they heard my dulcid (?) Irish accent they released me immediately.

In those times an Irish accent may not always have been expected to be helpful:eek:

"you've been living in Sligo for 25 years and you still have an English accent!" - thats what I am asked/told ... what am I supposed to do with my accent prey tell? - my own bloody family back home in UK say i sound Irish and come out with Irish sayings they never heard of , and the Irish over here tell me I sound like a cockerny - i dunno if Im coming or going!

• Advertisement

Look man, if the locals don't see bits of turf hanging out of your mouth and bisto scutterey armpits, your not from Sligo.:pac:

When I first seen this comment, I just spat my turf out all over the laptop screen such is my disbelief at the ignorance :rolleyes:

"you've been living in Sligo for 25 years and you still have an English accent!" - thats what I am asked/told ... what am I supposed to do with my accent prey tell? - my own bloody family back home in UK say i sound Irish and come out with Irish sayings they never heard of , and the Irish over here tell me I sound like a cockerny - i dunno if Im coming or going!

Just tell them you are as confused as a cow on astro turf, that usually works...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

I wouldn't worry about it OP. I'm Irish and live in Kildare but I'm not originally from Kildare. The amount of times I've had the 'you're not from around here' comment is hilarious. If you don't talk like Christy Moore 'round these parts, you are looked on suspiciously!

CFlat wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it OP. I'm Irish and live in Kildare but I'm not originally from Kildare. The amount of times I've had the 'you're not from around here' comment is hilarious. If you don't talk like Christy Moore 'round these parts, you are looked on suspiciously!

You Blow-in ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

You Blow-in ! :D

Now you're getting the hang of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

When i was abroad everyone i met asked me where i was from too. I didn't realise they were all out to oppress me. Damn foreigners... Not really btw, it seems i am bad at sarcasm so i will clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

melissak wrote: »
    When i was abroad everyone i met asked me where i was from too. I didn't realise they were all out to oppress me. Damn foreigners... Not really btw, it seems i am bad at sarcasm so i will clarify.

It is annoying as hell when you aren't actually abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I get mistaken for Canadian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

It is annoying as hell when you aren't actually abroad.

It is a conversation starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I was born in Dublin, but grew up mainly in the UK, had an Irish accent as a kid, but lost it and have a very English accent, even though I've been back here now for 9 years, its not going anywhere. So I confuse them completely when I get the "that's not an Irish accent" thing, and explain I'm actually a Dub living in Sligo sounding English. Sligo again, its a conspiracy :eek:

When I go to England, people say I have an Irish accent, but I can't hear it, and for some reason soon start putting a weird cockney or Essex thing on.

melissak wrote: »
    It is a conversation starter.

Which means I get to have the same conversation over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Listen, here's the plan.

Have a cup of tea, and a boiled sweet.

That'll sort out all your big problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I'd like a cheese burger

1st reply to a thread thankwhore epic fail.

We should start collecting these failed posts, like a hall of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its better than 'fcuk off back to England', 'fcuk off you British bastard'. Thankfully have only had to hear them twice in my 18 years here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

the well used term "that's not an Irish Accent!" - is that a Ireland countrywide term or is it only used in Rural areas of Ireland?

Is it A.) Stating the obvious?

B.) as if to say "what the feck are you doing in Ireland?" - with animosity?

Does it really matter at the end of the day?

When people ask "what brought you to Ireland?" I have to refrain from saying "The Ferry"

Been here 25 years and still get asked the question! - however when I have worked with numerous Irish people in the UK I never once said "Thats not a British Accent!"

And I would like to set the record straight, I was not in charge of anything when the famine was'nt around I wasnt even born and I dont agree with how the Irish were treated, I was never ever part of the British army either :)

Dafuq are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Which means I get to have the same conversation over and over.

You think the rest of us don't? It's a different conversation, that's all.

The typical Irish encounter with a stranger/distant acquaintance will have you rifling through potential small talk topics in your head: football (I know nothing)...politics (jesus no, it's a minefield)...grand stretch in the evening (very much time of the year dependent)...I HAVE IT! - the weather!

Imagine the sense of relief when you realise your opponent (because this definitely feels like a battle) has a non-Irish accent and you can fall back on that as an alternative small talk topic. Epic.

Your accent has saved you from endless conversations about the rain/frost/wind/heat. You have no idea how lucky you are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

maudgonner wrote: »

The typical Irish encounter with a stranger/distant acquaintance will have you rifling through potential small talk topics in your head: football (I know nothing)...politics (jesus no, it's a minefield)...grand stretch in the evening (very much time of the year dependent)...I HAVE IT! - the weather!

Imagine the sense of relief when you realise your opponent (because this definitely feels like a battle) has a non-Irish accent and you can fall back on that as an alternative small talk topic. Epic.

Your accent has saved you from endless conversations about the rain/frost/wind/heat. You have no idea how lucky you are.
    If we had enough imagination then we would all be going around exotic foreign accents just to break up the tedium:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Handy way of asking who you are and who you belong to without sounding like a nosy bastard.

'You've a wee bit of a twang there. . '

I didn't ask you anything, just made a casual observation in passing.
    I get this exact thing about 50 times a day, everyday.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »

A little patronising surely? I get to have that conversation at least twice a day with customers. At the very least, I feel it would be reasonable for people to not argue with me when I say I am Irish.

Advertisement