Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"That's not an Irish Accent!"

Options
  • 26-05-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

the well used term "that's not an Irish Accent!" - is that a Ireland countrywide term or is it only used in Rural areas of Ireland?

Is it A.) Stating the obvious?

B.) as if to say "what the feck are you doing in Ireland?" - with animosity?

Does it really matter at the end of the day?

When people ask "what brought you to Ireland?" I have to refrain from saying "The Ferry"

Been here 25 years and still get asked the question! - however when I have worked with numerous Irish people in the UK I never once said "Thats not a British Accent!"

And I would like to set the record straight, I was not in charge of anything when the famine was'nt around I wasnt even born and I dont agree with how the Irish were treated, I was never ever part of the British army either :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd like a cheese burger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the well used term "that's not an Irish Accent!" - is that a Ireland countrywide term or is it only used in Rural areas of Ireland?

Is it A.) Stating the obvious?

B.) as if to say "what the feck are you doing in Ireland?" - with animosity?

Does it really matter at the end of the day?

When people ask "what brought you to Ireland?" I have to refrain from saying "The Ferry"

Been here 25 years and still get asked the question! - however when I have worked with numerous Irish people in the UK I never once said "Thats not a British Accent!"

And I would like to set the record straight, I was not in charge of anything when the famine was'nt around I wasnt even born and I dont agree with how the Irish were treated, I was never ever part of the British army either :)

But... you're from Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's just a bogger issue. Once you don't speak with the local accent they think you are a foreigner, even worse if you are a local but spend time outside the townland and dared to get a bit of a Jakeen accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You..you...lie with your name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

It's just Irish humour, a way of starting a conversation, you're not expected to take it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's a way of saying "hey there, you're foreign, what's the craic with that hai". But I'd say it's more usually curiousity or nosiness than aggression. Though if you're English, not necessarily, unfortunately for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Handy way of asking who you are and who you belong to without sounding like a nosy bastard.

'You've a wee bit of a twang there. . '

I didn't ask you anything, just made a casual observation in passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

yerra we're all fierce backwards round here

except them boys from dublin they're great.:D

I imagine it is a way to ask why you are over here (and not over there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Handy way of asking who you are and who you belong to without sounding like a nosy bastard.

I didn't ask you anything, just made a casual observation in passing.

It's the culchie way, either several questions implied in one sentence or one important bit of information buried deep in a five minute ramble about a pint you had last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    But... you're from Sligo?

'Andy From Sligo' is less of a mouthfull as 'Andy who was born in the UK but has now been residing in Sligo for 25 years' :D

• Advertisement

I always get told I don't have an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

THat's what I say to myself every time I hear the AA traffic report, especially when there's a roindaboit involved...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You have to be a bit careful with them English accents......

Some of them have history round these parts............. can become rather posessive of Land/Property/Valuables...if your not careful don't you know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Ah shure we're a fierce inquisitive bunch altogether. Tis a sign of health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

25 years and still no understanding of why certain things are said and the intent behind them.

It's simply a way of asking someone where they're from. It's neither A or B from your OP.

Typically when you say that's not a n Irish/Sligo/Dublin/whatever accent to someone, they'll reply with where the accent is from. Conversation started.

Jayop wrote: »
    25 years and still no understanding of why certain things are said and the intent behind them.

It's simply a way of asking someone where they're from. It's neither A or B from your OP.

Typically when you say that's not a n Irish/Sligo/Dublin/whatever accent to someone, they'll reply with where the accent is from. Conversation started.
    Thats an accurate view....proven by how rarely they actually shoot you after the polite conversation starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

This is the story of my goddamned life. Every new person I meet - "so how long are you over for?" If I say I am Irish - "Ah, but you are not are you?" (which is mad rude btw). If I say I am American - "Go on out of that, you have been here forever." I get accused of watching too much tv, of being D4, of putting on an accent to seem cool etc.

To which I say **** yous. Poxy mononationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

'Andy From Sligo' is less of a mouthfull as 'Andy who was born in the UK but has now been residing in Sligo for 25 years' :D

Look man, if the locals don't see bits of turf hanging out of your mouth and bisto scutterey armpits, your not from Sligo.:pac:

This is the story of my goddamned life. Every new person I meet - "so how long are you over for?" If I say I am Irish - "Ah, but you are not are you?" (which is mad rude btw). If I say I am American - "Go on out of that, you have been here forever." I get accused of watching too much tv, of being D4, of putting on an accent to seem cool etc.

To which I say **** yous. Poxy mononationals.

You must hang around Dicey's Garden too much, full of wannabe D4 types:pac::pac:

No offence...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You must hang around Dicey's Garden too much, full of wannabe D4 types:pac::pac:

No offence...

I don't know what this means.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »

You're correct, I used to work with a German guy for 10 years, he was married to an Irish girl. Over the years in the canteen, I'd say the Nazi conversation was brought up about 200 times, was your father in it? was your uncle a nazi? was your grandfather an SS officer?

I have to say we Irish are a bit cúntish when it comes to foreigners and fellow people contibuting to our economy.

You're correct, I used to work with a German guy for 10 years, he was married to an Irish girl. Over the years in the canteen, I'd say the Nazi conversation was brought up about 200 times, was your father in it? was your uncle a nazi? was your grandfather an SS officer?

I have to say we Irish are a bit cúntish when it comes to foreigners and fellow people contibuting to our economy.

The least you could do is tell us ...was he ? ?

blinding wrote: »
    The least you could do is tell us ...was he ? ?

He was, 100% employment and all that..

I don't know what this means.

It's a kip in the city centre full of D4 heads beating their chests and talking in American accents.

It's Full of Conor McGregor wannabes with their stupid beards.

Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Listened to local radio station today and DJ said to an american 'that's not an Irish accent!' Which I thought was a nice change... poor american though felt the need that he had to explain how he ended up in these parts to all the radio listeners though.....

He was, 100% employment and all that..
    Jaysus ! Other Irish people are awful nosey altogether;)

Seriously here : Ireland is an Island so we don't mix with other peoples through land borders and the like (Okay the english kept coming over but sure they have no sense at all at all)

You would think that with so may Irish having been emigrants we would know how to behave better but....sure like everywhere in the world we/They have an awful lot of eejits:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I had this all the time when working in a public facing job. Kept getting asked where I was from, by locals who knew I was local...

Apparently I've got a bit of a weird accent, "posh" is the term used most of the time to describe it. I think it's just because I know how to pronounce tree and three correctly.

I had this all the time when working in a public facing job. Kept getting asked where I was from, by locals who knew I was local...

Apparently I've got a bit of a weird accent, "posh" is the term used most of the time to describe it. I think it's just because I know how to pronounce tree and three correctly.

Thats a bit suspect alright . That Tree...Three thing is Kriptonite to normal Irish people:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

If you don't know where someone is from, how are you supposed to ask them if they know Paddy, who moved there ten years ago. Grand lad Paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

blinding wrote: »
    Thats a bit suspect alright . That Tree...Three thing is Kriptonite to normal Irish people:P

:pac:

Advertisement