Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule set for Amateur MMA introduced

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,148 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Problem with 3x3 is someone can give it socks for 2 rounds and as long as they don't get tko'd in the 3rd they'll win on points

More rounds means you have to put abit of planing in it
    That applies to 3x5min pro fight too. Win two rounds and you win the fight.

It's a little more difficult to achieve than "giving it socks for two rounds"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

3x3 is fine, for full MMA rules that's more than enough for amateurs. Many gas by round 3 anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed by the shin pads and rash guards, I don't see what they achieve. No knees to head is a weird one too, but I don't mind it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Shin pads lessen the damage received and delivered. Particularly prevention of cuts and a lot less pain on unconditioned shins.

No knees to he head at amateur is fair enough. They are not allowed in other amateur striking arts either. It is arguably the most devestaing strike and they don't want amateurs receiving this kind of damage before even embarking on a pro careers. If they ever do.

In a way the rules make amateur MMA more user friendly and accessible to more people. I think more people would be willing to complete under this rule set as its similar to how people would spar in the gym.

The over all aim is to increase the level and safety of MMA. Guys will run up less miles on the clock competing with these new rules. Yet still improve skill wise. Guys will be able to have a lot of amateur fights and a reduced risk of injury.

When they turn pro the change over will be small and they will be well prepared for it.

Advertisement