Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Free home charger. Until when?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BoatMad wrote: »
    Err modern socket circuits are wired as a ring main

I haven't seen a ring circuit in a long time. Last place I saw one was a house in the north or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ring mains were all the rage 10 or 15 years ago, but radial is back as the wiring of choice now afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

n97 mini wrote: »
    Ring mains were all the rage 10 or 15 years ago, but radial is back as the wiring of choice now afaik.

Yeah , cause they have that quality beloved of Irish builders , cheap

Rings carry bigger loads and better distribute such loads

I have two good old ring mains

If you have radials , then putting a 15A load via an evse loads the radial too much in my opinion , with typical 20 A mcbs, it's too close. On a ring however with 32A , it's doable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I got the ESB free charger installed today.
    The unit is the eMH1 Basic. The online price is about €800, but that seems to come with a tethered cable.

Installer says he is flat out installing them - maybe 25-30 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Our parking spaces are not directly outside our house. Can an EV charging point be installed? It's an designated on street space outside our house. Are we looking at above and beyond the norm? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Err modern socket circuits are wired as a ring main

The only reason ring wiring was introduced after the war was to save on copper.

Star topology is much safer.

grogi wrote: »
    The only reason ring wiring was introduced after the war was to save on copper.

Star topology is much safer.

Err is not any way safer , rings often consumed more copper in smaller houses and apartments then modern radial installations, which is why rings fell out of favour

And then there is the restricted current in radials

Err is not any way safer , rings often consumed more copper in smaller houses and apartments then modern radial installations, which is why rings fell out of favour

And then there is the restricted current in radials

I'm afraid you're wrong here, sir.

You'd need to compare apples to apples: for example circuit protected with 16A fuse.

With radial circuit, you use 2.5mm² to do the wiring and use 30m. (thin air figure). With ring, you can use 1.5mm² and say, 33% more cable - 40m.

With the ring you've have more length - 133%, but used less surface - 60%. The example ring is using ~80% of the copper the radial circuit.

Why it is less safe? When there is one break in the ring, the devices will still work, used would not notice anything. However the load goes only through one cable, and if the appliances draw close to the circuit limit, that cable will be above its capacity.

Sure - you can build ring with 2.5mm² and fuse it for 16A. But that's just wasting material.

I'm afraid you're wrong here, sir.

You'd need to compare apples to apples: for example circuit protected with 16A fuse.

With radial circuit, you use 2.5mm² to do the wiring and use 30m. (thin air figure). With ring, you can use 1.5mm² and say, 33% more cable - 40m.

With the ring you've have more length - 133%, but used less surface - 60%. The example ring is using ~80% of the copper the radial circuit.

Why it is less safe? When there is one break in the ring, the devices will still work, used would not notice anything. However the load goes only through one cable, and if the appliances draw close to the circuit limit, that cable will be above its capacity.

Sure - you can build ring with 2.5mm² and fuse it for 16A. But that's just wasting material.

Huh, rings are specified for 20A and 2,5 sq and that's what's typically installed

Huh, rings are specified for 20A and 2,5 sq and that's what's typically installed

Then agreed - it is wasteful.

• Advertisement

Then agreed - it is wasteful.

The fact is a ring allows greater power to be supplied to a larger number of sockets.

A radial , there is a tendency to run too many sockets on single radials resulting in less power available to those sockets

Radials were introduced because they are cheaper then rings in small houses and apartments , that's all.

In a ring , installed to code, if it's breaks , each side can still sustain the full 20 A safely. There is no loss of safety

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

How long does it take for the ESB to install the home charger from when the dealer registers it ?
    And when/how do you get the card to use the public charge points?(Are they still free?)

Cheers in advance!

MJ434 wrote: »
    How long does it take for the ESB to install the home charger from when the dealer registers it ?
    And when/how do you get the card to use the public charge points?(Are they still free?)

Cheers in advance!

2-3 weeks in my case

2-3 weeks in my case

Card is issued on foot of details from the dealer in the case of a new car

Advertisement