Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Best Superhero Movie Tournament!

Options
  • 22-05-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Ladies and gents, we have done best tournaments for superheroes and supervillains over the past number of weeks, and now we turn our attention towards the movies.

When it comes to movies, there are surely few better experiences than sitting back, putting the feet up, and watching a good ol' superhero movie.

BUT...

With regards the superhero movie genre, one must tread carefully. Because while there are several classics, there are also just as many, if not more, out-and-out stinkers.

We will attempt to discover here on the forum the general concensus on what films are the classics, and what are the stinkers.

I have compiled a list of 64 superhero films and I have referenced both IGN and Wiki in this research. As ever, if I wind up missing out on a classic I apologize in advance. I should also state that I have been a bit generous in the films I am putting under the superhero movie umbrella.

As usual, the first character to get to 3 votes qualifies for the next round and the loser gets eliminated. Please try to give a reason why you are voting the way you are. We will go from 64 movies to 32, and then to 16, and so on until we reach the final.

Okay, so with that out of the way let's get to the first tie of the game...

Hellboy

220px-Hellboy_poster.jpg

VS

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

220px-The_Amazing_Spiderman_2_poster.jpg

It's the film that brought Ron Perlman to the screen as the demon Hellboy, taking on Andrew Garfield's Spidey sequel, The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Picture the scene: a friend or a loved one offers you one of these films for the night and you have to pick one - which one do you go for?

First movie to get to 3 votes goes through.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yay, another tournament.

Hellboy gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Hellboy, easily too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Hellboy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hellboy was a great movie where as this was the Spider too far for sony

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hellboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Definitely Hellboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hellboy is the overwhelming choice and takes the first spot in the next round. Next up we've got a 2000s Marvel film versus a late-80s DC one...

X-2: X-Men United

220px-X2_poster.jpg

VS

Batman

220px-Batman_ver2.jpg

It's the second instalment in the X-Men film series, X2, versus Tim Burton's first take on the Caped Crusader, Batman.

Which film takes your fancy here? Vote now.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Batman.

Definitely a tough choice, and it really comes down to the wire, but my vote goes for X2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Batman for me, it's just far more memorable. sitting here now and I can't for the life of me remember much about X2 which isn't a good sign

• Advertisement

It's a tough one but I'm going to have to go with Batman. Definitely not a film without its flaws, but far more iconic and a game-changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yea, Batman...

both are excellent Movies... but That Batman movie was a game changer...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

'89 Batman.

A sentence I've gotten used to saying: Batman goes through to the next round. Next up we have a clash featuring two films from a decade ago, based on characters with an Alan Moore connection...

V for Vendetta

220px-Vforvendettamov.jpg

VS

Constantine

220px-Constantine_poster.jpg

It's the 2006 film that starred Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman, V for Vendetta, up against the 2005 film that starred Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weisz, Constantine.

Which is the better movie? Vote now.

Oh that's a tough one! I enjoyed both but think I've to give it to Constantine. It's got Rachel Weisz, she's a real looker and the soundtrack was excellent

Constantine.... there's something quite charming about that movie...

Another really hard one to pick but I'll go with Constantine.

Another really hard one to pick but I'll go with Constantine.

Constantine takes the tie and goes forward to Round 2. Next up is a fascinating clash of two 90s movies...

The Crow

220px-Crow_ver2.jpg

VS

Spawn

220px-Spawnmovieposter.jpg

It's the 1994 film that starred Brandon Lee in his final film appearance, The Crow, versus the 1997 film based on Todd McFarlane's creation, Spawn.

What was the better movie? Vote now.

The Crow.....

loved that Movie and the soundtrack is one of the greatest ever put togethere....

• Advertisement

The Crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Spawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I vote for spawn, now it's close :D

The Crow, Brandon Lee died bruh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The Crow

The Crow edges a close one to go forward to Round 2. Next up it's another film based on an Alan Moore creation versus a film with origins in Japan...

Watchmen

220px-Watchmen_film_poster.jpg

VS

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie

215px-Power_rangers_movie_poster.jpg

Quite a contrast in styles here as we have Zack Snyder's adult 2009 film, Watchmen, taking on the family-friendly film based on the hit TV series, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.

Which of these two should go through? Vote now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Watchmen

Go Go Power Rangers!!!

My brother got that on VHS for Christmas one year... I've seen it far too often and nostalgia factor wins out... It's Morphin' Time!

Watchmen.

• Advertisement

Although the nostalgia power of MMPR is drawing me towards it, the film always annoyed me because it didn't match the continuity of the show.

Watchmen, while flawed, is a great film with some truly fantastic moments, and is very true to all the best bits of the comic.

Gotta go with Watchmen.

Advertisement