Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cody & Brandi Rhodes leaving WWE

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

briany wrote: »
    That Stardust character was only ever meant to be, or only ever should have been, a transitory angle. He did so good a job with it that it stuck around for longer than it really had any right to

When I read something like this, it legitimately BAFFLES me. I am not being facetious when I ask this - did you watch his matches in the last 6 months? He would enter to absolute silence, and wrestle to absolute silence. The audience had ZERO interest in him. So by what metric did he do such a good job with it?

Damien Sandow is an example of someone who was given a nothing gimmick (Mizdow) and did such a good job it meant something and stuck around. Stardust is an example of a terrible gimmick given to a very committed performer who did his absolute best with it but did not get over in the slightest.

Certainly Cody should be applauded for how committed he was to the role, I grant you that, but are we really going to pretend the character was anything other than an utter catastrophe?

Wonder would the writers have had something for him if he had hung around for the proposed brand split as no doubt they will need to push more mid card talent then and have SD be less review / recap of Raw. Still probably for the best though and of course it makes sense that his wife followed suit.

The writers have zero power if Vince sees nothing in you. They could pitch all the stuff they want but given Vince nixed turning back into Cody just 6 weeks ago, he's not getting anywhere significant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't doubt that but perhaps they might have actually had a need for him with the split and Vince might have okayed some better use of him be it as Cody or as Stardust. As said even then I'd say he is better off out of that situation for now but as I also said I would have enjoyed if they also kept Sandow and put the Rhodes Scholars back together for a run with the New Day.... not that that would ever happen, instead we have Primo & Epico version umm 3?

Yeah I wouldn't have been against that. Still, if it makes room for some guys from NXT to come up, I can't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I thought Cody had some potential going up the Shield but unfortunately he was never going to get a proper opportunity against them.

Other than that I respected the hell out of the guy for consistently turning sh1t into something entertaining, but much like Sandow, I never saw quite enough to make me think he could carry a top feud.

The time away will do him good though and damn, only 30? Bloke has the world at his feet and is absolutely right to get out instead of wasting his time with absolute bull**** like Stardust.

I'll miss him anyway, would prefer to watch him than Ziggler, Corbin, Usos, Bo Dallas etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You say about the brand split, but I'm sure that's something that would've been in the works before Cody handed in his notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah he'd have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

No matter how long the brand split was in the works I wouldn't expect the wrestlers to have found out very long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

cian68 wrote: »
    No matter how long the brand split was in the works I wouldn't expect the wrestlers to have found out very long ago.

Its wwe i wouldnt be suprised if they had no clue.

I was thinking on this maybe they did tell him but they wanted him to still be stardust so he walked still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Would've actually been funny to have Stardust on one show but have Cody Rhodes reappear on the other and of course have him deny all knowledge.

• Advertisement

Meltzer reckons talent was in the dark for the most part. As you'd expect it. Also, like in the past, they won't be told where they are going until the draft.

I love the idea of Stardust on one show and Cody on the other, I must admit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Would've actually been funny to have Stardust on one show but have Cody Rhodes reappear on the other and of course have him deny all knowledge.

I'm a total mark for those kinds of stories :pac:

JbasV.gif

Love this from Cody, accompanied by "After 19th August":
    CjkM5K-UkAAaJPk.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Does this mean..... ROH?

He's mentioned BOLA, Kurt Angle, Trevor Lee & Mike Bennett. Think he's just trying to get talk started. Doubt he's anywhere to go just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Always liked Cody.

He should hook with the NWA shows and get his hands on the official World Heavyweight Title. I remember Dustin lamenting that that he never held the famous belt during the time that it was still associated with TNA.

It would be a wonderful tribute to Dusty for Cody to hold that belt.

The Young Bucks just tweeted this:
    Cjl2LrPUYAIn3Gu.jpg
    Well played!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Gah, he's a guy that would likely thrive under a brand split as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reports stating that WWE and Cody Rhodes are in talks for a legends contract and that "accordingly" Cody is angry that the news leaked.

Angry for what? :pac:
    Wouldn't take a genius to realise he had a deal with WWE if they continuted to sell his merch. Sounds like Cody just marketing himself by saying he is "angry"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ive read Joe Lanza, of VoW, reckons its a work. His theory is that Cody is still under contact to WWE and its all a storyline release to get Cody some street cred by working the indies and thus removing the Stardust stink.

I wouldnt believe it myself, but ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Sounds like way too much effort for the 'E. They'd just have him come out as Cody one night with no explanation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,456 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

As long as he brings the Mrs with him whenever he pop's back up that will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭CSF

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ive read Joe Lanza, of VoW, reckons its a work. His theory is that Cody is still under contact to WWE and its all a storyline release to get Cody some street cred by working the indies and thus removing the Stardust stink.

I wouldnt believe it myself, but ya never know.

Sure they wouldn't need to. If the WWE had a desire to go in that direction, the fans would be all over a Bring Back Cody storyline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Advertisement