Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cody & Brandi Rhodes leaving WWE

Options
«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston


    Monokne wrote: »
    http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/cody-runnels-requested-his-release-wwe-213191

    For the best for all parties, this. His ship has long since sailed.

    That said, I expect a slew of "GOD HE WAS WASTED HE COULD HAVE MAIN EVENTED WRESTLEMANIA" posts to follow :-)

    Saw it on Reddit and while not that extreme, there is lots of "Oh he was brilliant!" stuff on there.

    Cody Rhodes was dull as dishwater and his lack of kneepads always annoyed me for some reason. Stardust was slightly entertaining for a while.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp


    Monokne wrote: »
    http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/cody-runnels-requested-his-release-wwe-213191

    For the best for all parties, this. His ship has long since sailed.

    That said, I expect a slew of "GOD HE WAS WASTED HE COULD HAVE MAIN EVENTED WRESTLEMANIA" posts to follow :-)

    whoever thought the stardust gimmick was a good idea ill never know


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC


    Ah. I loved Cody :( never failed to entertain me :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf


    Depp wrote: »
    whoever thought the stardust gimmick was a good idea ill never know
    That is so true.
    When he was ic champ 5 years ago and his gimmick was so hot
    He never recovered from that

    Was there any reason they took the belt off him?


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy


    I suppose the biggest question is "Will we still get to see Eden?"

    Shame to see Cody go. I liked Stardust


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    Monokne wrote: »
    http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/cody-runnels-requested-his-release-wwe-213191

    For the best for all parties, this. His ship has long since sailed.

    That said, I expect a slew of "GOD HE WAS WASTED HE COULD HAVE MAIN EVENTED WRESTLEMANIA" posts to follow :-)

    Ugh so much of that around lately, how dare people like anyone but Owens or Cesaro types.
    Cody is better off going elsewhere & I am glad he chose to do it unlike guys like Dolph or many others going nowhere.


    As for Lesnar the ufc website listed Cris Cyborg in the men's bantamweight division so they mustn't pay to much attention to their roster listings
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/29/11327172/ufc-website-lists-cris-cyborg-as-mens-bantamweight-fighter-mma-news


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter




  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie


    His IC title run with the mask was his best era imo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 60,518 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson


    So that's Ted and Cody gone both were to be the future at one time.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter


    I wonder what he'll do outside of WWE. I don't see him going to TNA/ROH, I guess New Japan but I think he might go down the PR/charity work avenue instead. It's mental that he's been in WWE for a decade and is only 30!

    I gotta say it now, I loved Phantom of the Opera Cody Rhodes. I loved his supervillain disfigured gimmick where he talked like he was a sauve Hammer Horror villain. Anyone? No?



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2


    I doubt anyone ever thought he was main event material, but he was a solid hand who did have some good moments.

    I probably won't miss him to much if honest, not been entertained by him for a while and their is plenty of talent waiting for a chance anyhow.

    I'd expect him back in a few years anyhow, who knows maybe a break might do wonders for him, because right now it would need some astonishing booking to make somewhat relevant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 60,518 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson


    The real big question should be......


    Is Eden going to leave as well?


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy


    I think he's a classic example of a guy that was hampered by lousy gimmicks.

    The masked Cody gimmick had its moments but went on way too long imo, and then there was that goofy moustache stuff which again could have been fine as a brief thing but dragged on and on, and the absolute dirt-worst was Stardust which I absolutely HATED. That gimmick was fine for a one-off pop to be Goldust's partner but to turn him into a Goldust-esque character I just thought was dumb, dumb, dumb, and was yet another schtick that went way too long. It went FOREVER when it was clearly dead with the audience. I had always been under the impression Cody himself was the one who liked doing the angle. Was it actually WWE that kept it up? If so, I feel sympathy with the guy.

    We never really got to see what he could do for a sustained period without any whackiness. He was decent in a tag team with Sandow as the Rhodes Scholars, and I thought teaming with his brother he was even better, but I would have liked to see him get a strong run without any shenanigans.

    Didn't he get a great pop when he re-emerged following the ditching of his mask angle, and yet he went pretty much nowhere? I don't think he was ever going to be a main eventer but he could have been interesting as a heel act just below that level.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter


    Did you like Plain white Cody Rhodes dude?


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy


    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Did you like Plain white Cody Rhodes dude?

    I don't recall him having any interesting feuds in that period which I think left the company to conclude that he needed a crutch to fall back on in the form of the various gimmicks he landed.

    I would have liked to see him show some of the darker side he showed during the masked period, but translate that to his traditional look; but it never happened. I'd love to know if he thinks creative hampered him, or was he in fact in favour of the things he got to do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    I don't recall him having any interesting feuds in that period which I think left the company to conclude that he needed a crutch to fall back on in the form of the various gimmicks he landed.

    I would have liked to see him show some of the darker side he showed during the masked period, but translate that to his traditional look; but it never happened. I'd love to know if he thinks creative hampered him, or was he in fact in favour of the things he got to do.

    Had a fun feud with Sandow which was mishandled & had a fantastic series of tag matches along with Goldust with the Shield.
    Stardust killed him tbh. He showed good personality as a heel previously but dressing like Mr Sinister & Ziggy Stardust doesn't get you far in 2016


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp


    'right we have this guy, right look and good skills, son of a legend, what shold we do with him?' 'i know, lets paint his face and call him an alien!' the mind boggles how some of these guys have jobs


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag


    Was always under the impression that Stardust was his own stupid idea. Can't say he every really stood out to me tbh.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne


    ERG89 wrote: »
    Ugh so much of that around lately, how dare people like anyone but Owens or Cesaro types.
    Cody is better off going elsewhere & I am glad he chose to do it unlike guys like Dolph or many others going nowhere.

    So much of what? Fair evaluation of someone's talent? :confused:

    I've nothing against Cody. On th emic - he delivered badly scripted material in an acceptable manner, often doing relatively well with stuff that wasn't great to begin with. But his interviews were never any better than ok. In the ring - He had singles matches with everyone on the roster and I legitimately cannot remember a match of his being more than **1/2. Maybe his match with Rey at Mania 27 was ***. His best work came as the support guy in a tag team with Goldust, who's a fantastic worker.

    He's been there a decade, he's nothing more than ok and he's completely played out as a character.

    Also, tell me, in what way is he better off going elsewhere? He isn't going to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars wrestling anywhere else. He MIGHT get an ok deal with NJPW based on his name, but I hardly see ROH or TNA breaking the bank to hire the WWE job guy, do you?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp


    Monokne wrote: »
    Also, tell me, in what way is he better off going elsewhere? He isn't going to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars wrestling anywhere else. He MIGHT get an ok deal with NJPW based on his name, but I hardly see ROH or TNA breaking the bank to hire the WWE job guy, do you?

    yeah hes not likely to make big bank elsewhere, maybe go to njpw and make a big thing about being dusty rhodes jr or somesuch, could go down well in japan!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭Ridley


    Loved the Dashing Cody Rhodes gimmick.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    Monokne wrote: »
    So much of what? Fair evaluation of someone's talent? :confused:

    I've nothing against Cody. On th emic - he delivered badly scripted material in an acceptable manner, often doing relatively well with stuff that wasn't great to begin with. But his interviews were never any better than ok. In the ring - He had singles matches with everyone on the roster and I legitimately cannot remember a match of his being more than **1/2. Maybe his match with Rey at Mania 27 was ***. His best work came as the support guy in a tag team with Goldust, who's a fantastic worker.

    He's been there a decade, he's nothing more than ok and he's completely played out as a character.

    Also, tell me, in what way is he better off going elsewhere? He isn't going to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars wrestling anywhere else. He MIGHT get an ok deal with NJPW based on his name, but I hardly see ROH or TNA breaking the bank to hire the WWE job guy, do you?

    So much of lame post saying that people will complain, loads of them too when Sandow got sacked. Armchair pundits who decree this guy is expendable because he hasnt been given a huge push. Too much of the same bland opinions over & over, its boring.
    WWE does drop the ball on guys look at EC3 who has exactly what they want but nope. Wish they did more with Galloway & Johnny Mundo too. All of who gained more leaving like I hope Cody does. They too make money like, it is possible as there are places to work everywhere worldwide now.
    TNA won't break there bank as anyone who knows anything would see Tna can't hire anybody in their situation, but hey we could get those lame what's "Reverse name" doing in the impact zone jokes again for the 600th time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Monokne


    ERG89 wrote: »
    So much of lame post saying that people will complain, loads of them too when Sandow got sacked. Armchair pundits who decree this guy is expendable because he hasnt been given a huge push. Too much of the same bland opinions over & over, its boring.
    WWE does drop the ball on guys look at EC3 who has exactly what they want but nope. Wish they did more with Galloway & Johnny Mundo too. All of who gained more leaving like I hope Cody does. They too make money like, it is possible as there are places to work everywhere worldwide now.
    TNA won't break there bank as anyone who knows anything would see Tna can't hire anybody in their situation, but hey we could get those lame what's "Reverse name" doing in the impact zone jokes again for the 600th time.
    What if, rather than dismissing what someone has to say by writing lengthy rhetoric about lame posts & armchair pundits & bland opinions, you joined the discussion and evaluated what I'd said (or what these other armchair pundits said) on its own merit?

    If you read my post, it was reasoned, rational, and logical. If you disagree, share your opinion on what made makes Cody an exceptional talent, or one WWE should be loath to lose. I don't see it. Average promos, ok ring work, ok look, burned out character. What have I missed?

    WWE drops the ball on people all the time. They ruined Galloway by pushing him too early. EC3 has really shown something in TNA. Morrison did about as well as I think could be expected in WWE. He couldn't talk and he didn't have exceptional charisma. I would disagree that they all gained more leaving WWE than staying though. It depends on what metric you're using. They may be more creatively fulfilled, but even just doing the house show loops 40 weeks a year in a midcard WWE position for a half decade or so is enough to get you set up for life which is something that working on the indies won't facilitate for these guys. Considering the physical damage wrestling does to you, I personally don't think it's something worth pursuing in the medium - long term unless you are getting set for life.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII


    ERG89 wrote: »
    but hey we could get those lame what's "Reverse name" doing in the impact zone jokes again for the 600th time.

    Here now you leave what's "Reverse name" doing in the impact zone jokes alone.

    Never gets old for me. :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd


    Best move for both parties as has been said. I enjoyed him a few years ago when he was in his Doctor Doom gimmick and thought he could have been on the cusp of something bigger around that time. Think Goldust thought so too as he started lobbying for a match against and then his momentum just fell off a cliff.

    Really despise the Stardust gimmick, only good thing I can say about it is that I seen him dressed as Mr Sinister one time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ShagNastii


    Really liked Cody if I'm being homest. Made good of most he was given. He didn't ever crack the main event but when you look at his many IC titles, his stuff with Legacy and Stardust's first year he had a decent run.

    The brothers dust winning the titles off The Shield is one of my top ten Raw matches.

    Gutted that Goldust V Stardust fell flat on it's ass. Had a bundle of potential but the crowds just wouldn't buy in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh


    Here now you leave what's "Reverse name" doing in the impact zone jokes alone.

    Never gets old for me. :pac:

    Hey, what's Rhodey Codes doing in the impact zone? :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM


    I liked Cody. Yes hes never gonna win the Thesz/Flair award in WON, but neither will 95% of pro wrestlers. He was more than capable in the ring and as brother Monokne said he was able to deliver the scripted promos better than most. The Rhodes Bros tag run was fantastic. Cody as mid card gateholder on Smackdown was fun. Legacy had its moments. The big what if for me is during the Legacy explodes angle, instead of pushing Ted Jr as the future would Cody have been the better option at that stage? Its unlikely but sometimes people can surprise and rise to the challenge. He wont be missed really but I can see him coming for a run in 3-5 yrs and getting a decent push.

    Also his TNA name would obviously be Star Reign(Black Reigns demented little brother) or Dusty Rhodes Jr.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,091 ✭✭✭✭CSF


    The Battleground tag match vs The Shield was the ultimate feel good match. An example of how good WWE could be if the writing wasn't absolutely **** 90% of the time.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,518 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson


    OMG The Polka Dot Prince has entered the Impact Zone.

    I hear he has the touch of the common man.


Advertisement