Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LW ,MW, SW Radio and The Future Of DRM

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Mr. Mad Lad you are a full hearted DRM man, and you are right, its better than any DAB but when you can't get receives nor a signal it shows its away down the list. Heads of Europe need to agree a way forward for Short Wave DRM

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyway , I wish for stations to transmit in DRM

You are opposed to 48k HE-AAC+ on DAB+... yet DRM on conventional carriers is 32k HE-AAC!

My DRM radio is over a decade old. There's probably less stations now than there were when I bought it.

L1011 wrote: »
    You are opposed to 48k HE-AAC+ on DAB+... yet DRM on conventional carriers is 32k HE-AAC!

My DRM radio is over a decade old. There's probably less stations now than there were when I bought it.

You don't have a DRM radio, I think you mean DAB ? There are no DRM radios you can buy yet but that might change in 2017 as an android based radio might be released that will decode DRM on Shortwave.

Maybe you do have a DRM radio and bought it in the likes of India, just wondering ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't have a DRM radio, I think you mean DAB ? There are no DRM radios you can buy yet but that might change in 2017 as an android based radio might be released that will decode DRM on Shortwave.

Maybe you do have a DRM radio and bought it in the likes of India, just wondering ?

You are aware DRM is well over a decade old (and a busted flush) right? And that there were some, terrible, radios on the market. You don't really seem to know much about something you're so enthusiastic about.

I have a Morphy Richards unit bought in about 2005, when DRM was the next great hope. Its crap.

It does do DAB (and FM/AM) also, but as its mono and has a power supply that puts out more heat than a small oven I don't use it for that.

Mr. Mad Lad you are a full hearted DRM man, and you are right, its better than any DAB but when you can't get receives nor a signal it shows its away down the list. Heads of Europe need to agree a way forward for Short Wave DRM

http://www.drm.org/drm-tested-with-renewed-interest-in-europe/

There are other interesting articles if you search around.

If you get an SDR receiver and I highly recommend the SDRplay, see the link below.

http://www.sdrplay.com/

And google how to decode DRm, I believe I posted a link a page or two back.

You'll find more DRM stations appear than the last 5 years, this will give an idea of what's capable on MW/SW.

My Idea is that it's not always possible to listen to internet radio and I don't want to be restricted to the internet for to listen to radio. + I want a broader range of material to listen to. Irish radio is very restrictive in what is allowed on air and this included Music.

Anyway the SDR is capable of listening to the Ham radio bands also and you can check out on screen if there are any stations broadcasting without even tuning anything.

Check out this web based sdr in the Netherlands. It covers the entire Shortwave spectrum 0-30 Mhz. and covers the Ham radio bands also, for these you'll need to change to USB or LSB and for Broadcast radio back to AM.

For the SDRPlay you'll need a good antenna preferably mounted out doors , the magnetic loop antennas are great for urban areas which are filled with dirty rf noise.

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/Loop_Antennas

These loop antennas get excellent reviews, they are expensive and you really need them on an aerial rotator to tune to the direction of the signal or to tune out interference.

You can also get, if you have the garden space, a long wire antenna or Dipole , just make sure it will cover the bands you want to listen to, for LW,Mw and SW you need 100 Khz to 30 Mhz.

You can also buy a shortwave radio on e-bay 2nd hand and connect an external antenna.

You'll pull in signals you never imagined.

• Advertisement

You are aware DRM is well over a decade old (and a busted flush) right? And that there were some, terrible, radios on the market. You don't really seem to know much about something you're so enthusiastic about.

I have a Morphy Richards unit bought in about 2005, when DRM was the next great hope. Its crap.

It does do DAB (and FM/AM) also, but as its mono and has a power supply that puts out more heat than a small oven I don't use it for that.

The Murphy Richards radio got terrible reviews, technology has come on you know, there are some good radios working in India and hopefully some good ones coming to the market soon not to mention the SDR based radios you can get right now. DRM can offer pretty good audio quality, if the Radio station uses good bandwidth.

You don't really seem to know much about something you're so enthusiastic about.

You can make an opinion without being insulting, you obviously haven't kept up to date, you got a crap radio and write off the technology !

You can make an opinion without being insulting, you obviously haven't kept up to date, you got a crap radio and write off the technology !

You were wrong. Losing the head doesn't help there.

The radios may have improved (I doubt it) but the underlying technology is already dead. There were more stations easily receivable when I got the radio than now.

Your inconsistent opinion on bitrates is still an issue here too. DRM provodes bitrates below that you consider unacceptable.

You were wrong. Losing the head doesn't help there.

The radios may have improved (I doubt it) but the underlying technology is already dead. There were more stations easily receivable when I got the radio than now.

Your inconsistent opinion on bitrates is still an issue here too. DRM provodes bitrates below that you consider unacceptable.

No , DRM quality if a decent bitrate is used is more than acceptable on Shortwave compared to the analogue signal where as DAB should be a much better quality given it's supposed to replace FM.

They are using pretty decent DRM radios in India for a while now.

For Shortwave this is pretty good .

This is Romania Radio International being recieved in Brazil, pretty amazing even if 20 Kbps AAC+

• Advertisement
Advertisement