Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yooka-Laylee

Options
  • 20-05-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭

Massive update on this game and wow is it looking good.
    Yooka_Glacier.jpg

Yooka_Swim.jpg

Yooka_Toybox_01.jpg

Us backers will be getting a demo in July.
    OPEN THE TOYBOX
    The wait is almost over… the Toybox is coming – and we’re happy to finally confirm that the standalone gameplay experience will be available in July for Kickstarter backers who opted for appropriate tiers.

So why has it taken so long? Quite simply, our plans for the Toybox have expanded beyond the web-based, single-room play thing we originally planned and it’s now a much more significant chunk of playable content.

As promised in our Kickstarter campaign, the Toybox isn’t a traditional ‘demo’, but a self-contained, spoiler-free sandbox designed to give Yooka-Laylee backers a taste of the platforming to come in the final game.There are plenty moves to try, custom-built props to play with, secrets to discover and yes, shiny collectibles to hunt out.

We appreciate your patience and hope you agree the wait was worthwhile when you’re jumping around in our sandbox in a number of weeks’ time.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/raising-the-curtain/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a Nintendo game though, but it is inspired by the N64 games of yesteryear.
    This one is coming to all the current formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Moved to the Gaming (General) forum, as it's not limited to Nintendo platforms! Please note the charter from the Gaming (General) forum now applies.

Looking forward to this one, backed it on kickstarter almost as soon as it launched!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Today's new update. Dr. Quack and Dr. Puzz.

Dr. Quack
    p%3E%3Cp%3E

Dr. Puzz
    6cba3ed3b9d423f74afc899fa685e70c_original.png?w=639&fit=max&v=1464364273&auto=format&lossless=true&

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/posts/1587971?ref=backer_project_update
    YOOKA-LAYLEE - INFO ON COLLECTIBLES AND BONUS MULTIPLAYER GAMES

- blends N64-style platforming and collecting with modern trends
    - every collectible will have value in some way
    - collectible benefits include improved moves or access to new areas within large levels
    - the game world can be transformed should a player go to the effort
    - minecart runs are included
    - collectibles are also found in "race circuits and along vast, undulating minecart tracks"
    - collectible tokens unlock eight multiplayer arcade games with support for four players

http://gonintendo.com/stories/258376-yooka-laylee-info-on-collectibles-and-bonus-multiplayer-games

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is there not a thread on this already?

Anyhoo waiting for it to be released before I buy. Shame such a decent dev team was destroyed by Msft. Could blame the stamper brothers but MSFT(EA,UBietc) have done this countless times. Buy a decent studio and destroy it.

Yooka-Laylee gets another set of fresh details

EDGE has a lengthy feature on Yooka-Laylee this month. There’s talk about developer Playtonic, and plenty on the game itself.

One point brought up early on is that Yooka-Laylee felt “almost unrecognizable from the footage that convinced so many to part with their money.” The two main characters are essentially the same. However, EDGE says that “their world is a very pleasant surprise – significantly more substantial than we’d anticipated, with a scale and a level of detail belying the size of the team making it.”

Yooka-Laylee takes plenty of cues from the 3D platformers of old on the N64. Just like with Rare’s classic games, this one will feature spoken gibberish for the characters. It took director Chris Sutherland and composer Grant Kirkhope some time to remember how to come up with these sounds, with Sutherland noting that the team “spent a lot of time trying to figure out the timing and iterating regularly until it sounded just right.”

EDGE also covers collectibles in its piece. The best news about them? Each one will have a tangible benefit.

Here’s an overview of the different collectibles:

– Ghosts can be found in each world; one hides, another attacks you, and a more elusive spirit requires you to chase and catch it
    – 200 quills scattered across the world, spread across race circuits and along vast, undulating minecart tracks
    – Tokens unlock the eight multiplayer arcade games hosted by Rextro, which can be found in the main menu and support up to 4 players
    – Tonics: RPG-style modifiers that also act as in-game accomplishments; ex: reduce power consumption of Yooka’s role, which could be attached to something like killing 100 enemies
    – There’s a pickup which triggers a transformation exclusive to that particular world

EDGE also writes about how you can transform the world itself:

At first, your impact is relatively small: spitting out a Splash Berry to feed a raincloud sees it generate a waterfall that fills a dry riverbed, opening up new areas to explore. Choose a Frost Berry instead, and the river will freeze over, giving you access to a harder race across a slippier surface. But while you can move onto the next area once you’ve collected enough Pagies – the equivalent to Banjo-Kazooie’s Jiggies – you can also spend them on expanding the environment. This bolts on a huge extra chunk of level furniture, with a towering monument that dwarfs what was there before (and which begs to be scaled), and opens up a broader range of activities, this time set at a higher difficulty to test the platforming pluck of more thorough explorers.

Finally, a few other tidbits:

– Regain health by collecting butterflies
    – Refill the power meter by eating butterflies
    – New Game+ mode will be included where all moves are unlocked from the beginning
    – Spend Quills to extend Yooka and Laylee’s move sets; ex: sonar shot for Laylee which fires translucent waves and triggers invisible platforms to reach a previously inaccessible temple area
    – When you unlock a new world, Trowzer will give you a new power as a way of thanking you for letting him expand his business
    – Challenges won’t be repeated across the different worlds; the team wants to constantly surprise players
    – The challenge ramps up in the second world, which has a wintry theme

There’s quite a bit more from EDGE’s article, including new screenshots, comments from the development team, and more. We encourage you to pick up the full issue here.

http://nintendoeverything.com/yooka-laylee-gets-another-set-of-fresh-details/

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/Subscriptions/Edge-Print.html

• Advertisement

Some screenshots and artwork.
    yMmjGgA.jpg
    dJr9wqZ.jpg
    Opg1BDc.png
    xsp67Ig.jpg
    iRn96Nd.jpg
    De98DzY.jpg
    QTlT8U8.jpg
    2e0oeXN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Spyroish...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spyroish...

Nintendo and Rare perfected the genre, Spyro was a weak attempt to emulate the likes of Mario 64 and Banjo.
    Sony only got their mojo in 3d platforming with Jack and Daxter.

Yooka Laylee is being made by those same people and looks pretty great, with the dev's limiting the collecto-madness of the likes of Donkey Kong 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    limiting the collecto-madness of the likes of Donkey Kong 64.

For years I thought I was just being unfair on this game and looking back on it badly..... glad to know it was actually a load of rubbish trying to collect all that cr@p in each stage

Cormac... wrote: »
    For years I thought I was just being unfair on this game and looking back on it badly..... glad to know it was actually a load of rubbish trying to collect all that cr@p in each stage

I invested in it, games being pretty expensive back then, and found things initially engaging but the sprawling nature of the game, the never ending collecting of items, the whole thing was a mess.
    When Gamesworld were clearing crap out I got a guide book for it for nothing, and seeing it all laid out, it's still a messy load of tripe, ugly too.
    Donkey Kong Country has its faults but it has stood up visually, as has the ports to the likes of the Gameboy and Color.
    But DK64 looks dreadful, the game looks more dated than the years earlier Mario 64 and Rare's first N64 title Banjo Kazooie looks and plays better in everyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I invested in it, games being pretty expensive back then, and found things initially engaging but the sprawling nature of the game, the never ending collecting of items, the whole thing was a mess.
    When Gamesworld were clearing crap out I got a guide book for it for nothing, and seeing it all laid out, it's still a messy load of tripe, ugly too.

I too got the Prima (?) strategy guide, but I got it while playing the game, to see if I could 100% it.

Even with the guide I couldn't be bothered.

Some of the puzzle mechanics of using the 5 kongs weren't too bad if I remember correctly, but was nothing that Lost Vikings hadn't already covered.

When you got 1 game every 3 months due to stuff being £50, you really had to try get your monies worth alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony only got their mojo in 3d platforming with Jack and Daxter.

I didn't even find Jack and Daxter that good either. First game was decent and worked well as an early PS2 game that was worth playing when there was very little on it. It's not aged so well. J&D 2 though I feel is a terrible game with awful difficulty spikes. Really don't get the high review scores for it and the whole grim dark setting felt so focus grouped. At least now I see it in over rated game lists. Never tried the third so not sure if it was good.

Well, I was talking about the first one, the followup stank of a committee getting involved, trying to be dark and edgy, vehicles in the wake of GTA3, not fun at all.
    The original was tons of fun, and combined the excellence of Crash 3 with some very nice visuals, for such an early game.
    I have the third but it has yet to be played.
    Seems that while the first cousin of J&D, Ratchet and Clank, got a current gen update, as well as a last gen update, J&D was pretty much left behind.
    Haven is a really good unsung example of the 3D platformer though, with some nice fractal effects in there too, for the PS2, and for less than a fiver if you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Release pushed to Q1 2017. Toybox still expected in July.

E3 Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks great!

The Wii U will be a dead(er) duck by Q1 2017 though. I hope it is compatible with the NX.

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks great!

The Wii U will be a dead(er) duck by Q1 2017 though. I hope it is compatible with the NX.

That's my worry.
    Initially I wanted it for the WiiU, but now that the console is pretty much just hanging around on a corner waiting to be relieved of duty I might get it for my PS4 instead, I have it bought and paid for via Kickstarter either way.
    Love to see a general release in physical form, like Shovel Knight I'll end up owning it in a few ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

what's up with the adult jokes in the game? beeh hearing about them here and there, can't seem to undestand what kind of jokes are those?

This looks amazing.

Yooka-Laylee - Gamescom 2016 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqmF8IgxtJ0

Could Yooka-Laylee Be as Filthy as Conker’s Bad Fur Day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S29r4h5R1g

• Advertisement

Bombshell time. Absolutely gutted.

Yooka-Laylee cancelled for Wii U due to "unforeseen technical issues"
    PC, PS4, Xbox One versions launch April. Switch version planned.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-yooka-laylee-cancelled-for-wii-u-due-to-unforeseen-technical-issues

Hardly a surprise. Releasing for the Wii U in April 2017 (a month after Switch launch) would be a colossal waste of money.

It makes far more sense to target the Switch instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's obvious that the WiiU version was up in the air a while as is any game on the system. I'd wonder how much the port was even being worked on. Still feel sorry for the people who backed this financially in return for a WiiU version. Always pays just to wait with videogames anymore.

You know how they say something is so bad that it's good? This isn't one of those occasions.

The Yooka-Laylee Rap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSzJj1c1z0

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Jim Sterling gave it a 2/10. Ouch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm. Those rare 3D platformer were never actually that great and always in the shadow of what Nintendo made. I think the rose tinted glasses might be off. Eurogamer wasn't that kind either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think what you get from the game will depend on how much nostalgia you have for Rare's N64-era platformers. I was never a fan of Banjo/Donkey Kong 64 so don't think this will be for me.

Advertisement