Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your limit for a handbag?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I just dont get the bag thing. Do people notice each others bags???? My limit is about E25 haha. Now boots are a different story!!!!

I definitely notice other womens bags. To be gender balanced, theres a guy in my office who has some great leather briefcases, and he always has the best luggage when we travel, and I notice that equally. Obviously its easy to notice something wtih the label emblazoned all over it, but I pride myself in being able to notice the more subtle brands too.
    I was in Barcelona and saw a very nice Gucci handbag for €895. It was originally €1795. Immediately sent pic to my wife and asked did she like it. She thought it was really nice and I said I would get it. Then she asked me the price and when i told her she refused to let me buy it.
    She now regrets that decision and there is no where you can get the bag anymore.
    So ladies, if you see a bag you really like, Just go for it, whether it is €25 or €2500. If you can afford it of course.

This is my worry. If I don't buy it, I may always be thinking about it. I've wanted a Bayswater since forever and at this price is seems reasonable(ish). I've coveted Mulberry for some time now, and whats the point in being an adult if you can't buy yourself expensive things from time to time?!?!

So.... I rang the shop and they still have it, so I'm going to pop down after work! Whoop!

Now I just have to hope my OH doesn't spot it, or at least doesn't realise how much it costs! We have seperate finances and whatnot, but I don't think he'd approve :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I definitely notice other womens bags. To be gender balanced, theres a guy in my office who has some great leather briefcases, and he always has the best luggage when we travel, and I notice that equally. Obviously its easy to notice something wtih the label emblazoned all over it, but I pride myself in being able to notice the more subtle brands too.

Same here, but I notice shoes also. Quality always stands out, and by quality, I don't mean label. There are some well-known labels out there that I wouldn't rate highly for quality.

A well-made bag or pair of shoes, that are well taken care of, will always catch my eye. Scuffed bags or shoes, also catch my eye too, but for the wrong reasons :)

dudara wrote: »
    Same here, but I notice shoes also. Quality always stands out, and by quality, I don't mean label. There are some well-known labels out there that I wouldn't rate highly for quality.

This is very true. I think it would gall me more to spend €250 on a bag thats essentially no better than highstreet quality but just has a licensing agreement with a known label, than to spend double that on something that will really stand the test of time.

There are definitely some labels that I wouldn't rate at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The Bayswater is a classic style, so you'll have it for years.

If you afford it, I'd say go for it. When I started to buy serious quality bags, I stopped buying cheaper ones that would get thrown out after a years use. High quality bags do literally last for years

What would be serious quality now?
    Brands and prices? I would like ideas, I'm very harsh on my bags

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

bluewolf wrote: »
    What would be serious quality now?
    Brands and prices? I would like ideas, I'm very harsh on my bags

I'm sure dudara will be back to answer your query but I just wanted to recommend Yoshi bags as very hardwearing, high quality leather bags. Mine has been through the wars and still looks perfect. http://www.yoshi.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think Mandarina Duck is actually very good durable bag. We have some bags and travel bags from md and they handle general use well and traveling way better than Samsonite (one of their more expensive lines).
    http://www.mandarinaduck.com/irl/en-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The best high-end brand I've owned has been Vivienne Westwood. I have two leather bags that are both wearing extremely well. They're made in Italy, so I wonder if that's part of the reason why they're so good. In my experience Italian and Spanish leather goods are usually very well made.

A lot of the time though, I don't really look at the label. It's more about looking into the bag, checking the leather rough edges, checking the quality of the stitching, looking at the finish on the leather etc. That's how I make my judgement on the quality.

Well Boardsies, just a quick update - I went and bought it last night after work :D

Its very beautiful I must say. Comes with aftercare etc so I feel confident in my purchase. Also, the Mulberry packaging is beautiful as you'd expect.

Its currently still in its bag in my spare room though as I didn't want to give my OH a heart attack! We're about to go off on holidays for a few days so I'll gradually introduce it once we're back and hope that he won't ask too many questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A lot of the time though, I don't really look at the label. It's more about looking into the bag, checking the leather rough edges, checking the quality of the stitching, looking at the finish on the leather etc. That's how I make my judgement on the quality.

Give them a break though, they're only 5 or something

YTKrW5h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Well Boardsies, just a quick update - I went and bought it last night after work :D

Its very beautiful I must say. Comes with aftercare etc so I feel confident in my purchase. Also, the Mulberry packaging is beautiful as you'd expect.

Its currently still in its bag in my spare room though as I didn't want to give my OH a heart attack! We're about to go off on holidays for a few days so I'll gradually introduce it once we're back and hope that he won't ask too many questions!

Well wear! Not only are the bags fab but their customer service is excellent if you ever have any issues with purchases. I'm addicted... currently waiting on payday to add an oxblood croc Lily to my collection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Op I know you've bought it and I think you made the right choice. I'm a guy so I don't buy handbags but this is a bag that's going to last you for years to come. These luxury goods also keep their value so you if you do change your mind in the future you can always sell it a recoup a lot of the purchase price. Also I think good quality luggage which handbags and handbags would be in this category for me are well worth spending money on as people do notice that sort of stuff. I know I've spent far more on luggage and wallets than your bag as well if it makes you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I don't think I could buy a handbag if I had to hide it from my OH, it would spoil it for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

It's an "investment".....that's what I tell myself anyway!
    Your future daughter will thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Ah ,SarahMollie, you're a bad influence. I liked the sound of the bag you described so popped into Kildare village this morning and treated myself! It's such a gorgeous bag! Thank you

I don't think I could buy a handbag if I had to hide it from my OH, it would spoil it for me :(

TBF, it won't be hidden for long. Its still all wrapped up and I need to remove some excess packaging and pack away the dust bag etc. Once its in use he'll see it, although I'm confident he won't know what it is.

I was going through the airport the other day and bought a lipstick in MAC and a cleaner in Clinique, which came to about €40. He was like "Jaysus, being a woman is so expensive!"......little does he know.

Ah ,SarahMollie, you're a bad influence. I liked the sound of the bag you described so popped into Kildare village this morning and treated myself! It's such a gorgeous bag! Thank you

Oh goodness, I'm a terrible influence! I'm happy with my purchase, hope you are too!

Advertisement